Anyone know how the tags work in NM?

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
I'm trying to look it up for my brother but I'm getting confused. The NM F&G site is horrible. From what I'm finding some stuff is OTC like turkey and deer with archery but all big game is drawing only and... man I'm lost. Anyone able to set it straight for me?

With MT it lists every animal, the dates, cost, limit (mostly birds and fish) and if it's drawing or OTC. Why can't everyone do that? Makes it so much easier.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    I remember Dan J. complaining about how hard it was to get a deer or elk tag in New Mexico. And, I did hunt deer that about a hundred years ago, and was able to buy an OTC tag. Other than that, I can't help you.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Because NM doesn't want YOU, or any other non-res to hunt there, honestly. They try to make it as hard as possible, and have many times voted to reduce the number of non-res tags. Pretty soon you'll almost have a better chance at getting to hunt non-res in AZ then NM, with only half the quality.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I'm not interested at all. Was looking it up for my brother who lives there. In MT when they don't want non res hunting here they make it painfully expensive. Deer tag for me: $15 for first 10 for second, deer tag for you $561 for first $75 for second
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    The short answer is no.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Because NM doesn't want YOU, or any other non-res to hunt there, honestly. They try to make it as hard as possible, and have many times voted to reduce the number of non-res tags. Pretty soon you'll almost have a better chance at getting to hunt non-res in AZ then NM, with only half the quality.

I think the other part of the equation is that NM caters to outfitters and guides. I suspect that a lot of the tags go to those people, who have high dollar concessions in areas that support large game populations, and are known for trophy animals.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I think the other part of the equation is that NM caters to outfitters and guides. I suspect that a lot of the tags go to those people, who have high dollar concessions in areas that support large game populations, and are known for trophy animals.

Right on the money Jerry. Guess who made the biggest public stinks when announcements of non-res tag reductions or price increases happen? Out of state hunting operations who happen to have a ranch or two in NM they lease rights to.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.