CCWing on our walk

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,897 Senior Member
Clean isn't up to the full walk since her last heart procedure and return to the emergency room after her leg sprung a leak at the site of the catherization. So we walked a short walk and passed a city LEO doing a radar trap behind a pile of brush next to the road waiting for a city crew to haul it away.

I dropped off Clean and continued on and had to come back by the Officer still at his task. As I got near, he gets out of his car and I think oh :cuss: I'm packing heat and now this.

But, I could not resist the opportunity, I asked him if I was walking too fast. He sorta blinked a few times and tried to get on with what he wanted to say. Then, I told him I had a loaded gun and a permit. This time he did not blink, just said ok good.

Then he went on to tell me about his neighborhood patrol duties, etc, making a favorable police presence to the populous, etc.

Turns out Clean had snuck back out while I was gone and took him a bottle of cold water.
+
+
Anyway, the incident makes me wounder if this episode isn't normal instead of like all the reports of CCWer's being accosted by the police.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Probably. But it doesn't make for good news and rants so you'll never hear about it.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    I've been pulled over a few times while carrying. I always hand them my CHL along with my DL. The most I've ever had them do is ask me where the pistol is, and then it's business as usual. Both times in New Mexico ( :angel2: ) the LEO's thanked me for the heads up.

As a side note, I got let off with a warning every time.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    When I first had the Mustang, I got stopped a couple of times for being, um, enthusiastic. Both times, as soon as I handed the officers my permit and advised them of my status, they visibly relaxed and starting treating me like a brother LEO.

Both times, they bade me slow down and take care, and sent me on my merry way.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Its odd you mention this. About 2 weeks ago, (on a saturday,) I was heading down the street adjacent to the road I live on after coming back from getting a burger for lunch at a fastfood joint. I had to make a right hand turn onto my street and noticed a cop car coming toward me on the street I was on. Being no big deal and having all my ducks in a row, I thought nothing of it and continued to turn right onto my street and noticed that he turned left and proceeded behind me. Only problem I had is that the speedometer jumps a tad when your above about 20mph. The speed limit was 35 so I was trying my damndest to drive the speedlimit. When I turned on my signal to pull into my driveway, I looked in my mirror to see the red and blues going...... Im thinking "oh great I have my CCW." He approaches and first thing he asks me is "Do you know what the speedlimit on this road is?" I said, yes sir, its 35 and I want to inform you that I have a concealed carry license and my firearm is on my right side. It surprised the hell out of me when he says "okay thats fine....... do you have your drivers license on you????" I couldnt believe how nice this cop was and trusting after I just told him I have a loaded gun on me lol. Needless to say, I explained the speedometer situation and he said to just try and get it fixed and let me off with a verbal warning. That was my first encounter with LE since having my concealed carry.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Never been stopped (KNOCK ON WOOD) since I got my CCW except once by non-locals. NCHP is full of piss and vinegar so he had a few extra questions and the don't make at sudden moves thing. The locals usually ask some smart question about speedometer being out of calibration, good to have access to be able to "make it off" so you get a warning or at worst improper equipment. Anyway I am like the others DL and permit along with verbal notification ASAP and it is fine. Most don't even go past the let's leave it there type statement.

I hate to say it but I do believe it depends on what you look like and why they approached you. How YOU handle the first contact sets the tone most of the time in my opinion.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    I've had my license for 15 years and been stopped all over the place (always carry). I've had nothing but great interactions with LEOs when it comes to CHL. It's actually gotten me out of tickets. I'll never forget getting pulled over in a neighboring town and being told, "oh, I know you aren't a dirtbag. Go on and pay attention from now on." That one made me chuckle. I love Texas. :applause:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Clean isn't up to the full walk since her last heart procedure and return to the emergency room after her leg sprung a leak at the site of the catherization. So we walked a short walk and passed a city LEO doing a radar trap behind a pile of brush next to the road waiting for a city crew to haul it away.

I dropped off Clean and continued on and had to come back by the Officer still at his task. As I got near, he gets out of his car and I think oh :cuss: I'm packing heat and now this.

But, I could not resist the opportunity, I asked him if I was walking too fast. He sorta blinked a few times and tried to get on with what he wanted to say. Then, I told him I had a loaded gun and a permit. This time he did not blink, just said ok good.

Then he went on to tell me about his neighborhood patrol duties, etc, making a favorable police presence to the populous, etc.

Turns out Clean had snuck back out while I was gone and took him a bottle of cold water.
    +
    +
    Anyway, the incident makes me wounder if this episode isn't normal instead of like all the reports of CCWer's being accosted by the police.

:win: BINGO. I'd bet that this is what happens 98% of the time at least. There would be a LOT more cases of CCW/police issues otherwise.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Top guy. Pinstripes = Mafia.
    Overkill is underrated.
    No, they teach us that if you're looking for someone to check out for a concealed firearm, go for:
    1. The one who looks least likely to be carrying.
    2. THE ONE WHO'S NOT OVERTLY DISPLAYING!!!
    Overkill is underrated.
    The second guy might use needles for heroin, but then so might the first...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Advanced degrees are a hindrance to common thought processes aren't they...:tooth:
    Yeah, I used to hang out with forward thinkers; but, it became boring.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    The second guy would be less of a problem. He'll probably kill himself before long, keeping those fingers on the triggers like that...............
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    If he pulls the trigger on that Beretta where it is, he'll bleed out when he severs the femoral artery.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    If he pulls the trigger on that Beretta where it is, he'll bleed out when he severs the femoral artery.
    One can always wish.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Worse case scenario it makes him unable to reproduce....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    :that::applause: