Home Main Category Clubhouse

Props to Nissan

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,148 Senior Member
A couple of years back, Nissan sent out a service bulletin for the fuel sending unit on my model year (2006) Frontier trucks, indicating that the part may go bad prematurely and the warranty on the part was thereby extended out to 72 months/72,000 miles, whichever came first. Well, a quick trip to Auto Zone revealed a check engine light showing that mine decided to go bad at 75,930 miles :bang:

So, I called up Nissan and explained the situation. I explained that the truck has been great and that I loved it so much that I just bought my wife a brand new Altima this past February. They took note of my situation and asked me to get a firm diagnosis from a Nissan dealer and send them the diagnosis paperwork. A couple of days later, and they revealed that they would cover the cost, even out of warranty!

The only catch was that I had to pay for the work up front and it was up to them to analyze my case (and weigh how far I was out of warranty, customer customer loyalty, use of dealer services, etc.) to determine if they would reimburse me. Also, if the problem was NOT what I described, I would've been assessed a $100 diagnostic free, presumably to deter freeloaders from trying to get the dealer to skip their regular diagnostic charges for something unrelated to the service bulletin.

The bottom line is that they refunded me ever penny of the $470 the service cost for an out-of-warranty part on a truck with 75K+ miles on it. I'm pretty happy about that.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Good deal. I love my Frontier too, it's a 2000 and just about to hit 130,000 and still running strong.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    Good to hear. My Frontier is a 2004 with 118K and it is doing great!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I have no complaints about this truck, especially since Nissan admitted that the part was bad AND didn't make me pay a dime for it. When this one is done, I'll be running right back out and grabbing another.

It's funny: if that "service Engine Soon" light hadn't appeared, I probably never would've know there was an issue - not for a while, at least. Apparently, the part that went out affects the truck's ability to reliably detect it's fuel level, which could've been bad had I not noticed the level hadn't gone down. In my case, when I finally paid attention to it after the diagnosis, the fuel level WAS decreasing, but doing so erratically.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.