Home Main Category Personal Defense

Always, always, always know your target...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,877 Senior Member
Tragic story out of South Africa. Man finds home being broken into, goes upstairs to get his gun. While he's upstairs his 8 year old daughter gets out of bed and tries to come into his room. When she tries to open the door, he fires one shot, blind, through the door, hitting her in the head. She later dies. He's under investigation for culpable homicide.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Dad-accidentally-kills-daughter-in-robbery-20120518
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    That's heart-breaking! I wondered if it was a better idea to get his daughter/family first anyway, before grabbing the gun? Wasn't there, didn't know the situation, but "know your target" is absolutely a must.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Very sad example but thanks for posting. And yes, know your target (and what's behind it) is one major rule of any shooting, whether self defense, hunting, targets, any.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    How stupid can someone be.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

Panic can make a person do dangerous things like that, it is good to plan things out too, for emergencies or fire etc... and never fire at an unknown target....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Well, I can see multiple mistakes, personally...
    1. Not rounding up the family before getting ready to face the intruder.
    2. Placing the gun in an area where he has to blind himself to an intruder while he gets the gun.
    3. Firing at an unknown target.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Well, I can see multiple mistakes, personally...
    1. Not rounding up the family before getting ready to face the intruder.
    2. Placing the gun in an area where he has to blind himself to an intruder while he gets the gun.
    3. Firing at an unknown target.

Great points, too bad it is so late for him to have learned such a lesson...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I can understand not rounding up the family before. What if the baddie is between you and the kids? You don't always have the luxury of that time prior to confrontation.

Regardless, shooting blind is absolutely a bad idea.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Sam, in this case he wasn't. He messed up.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Sam, in this case he wasn't. He messed up.

And worse yet, his child is dead, he must be devastated, plenty of punishment there, any other punishment that could be meted out against him by the Law is sort of moot...... How sad.... food for thought.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    And worse yet, his child is dead, he must be devastated, plenty of punishment there, any other punishment that could be meted out against him by the Law is sort of moot...... How sad.... food for thought.

The mind is the worst kind of prison when something like that happens........There is no 'time off' for good behaviour, 'parole', 'retrial', 'aquittal' or 'appeal'.

It truly is a 'Life sentence'.

A friend I used to compete with at sporting clays who had a 14yr old son, was on his way home from a comp down country. (He had imbibed at the clubrooms after the shooting had finished) Coming home , he crossed the centreline, hit a car head on and killed a boy the same age as his son.
    Twelve months to the day, after he was convicted and dealt with by the courts, he took his own life.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Yes, and one can only respond, Here by the grace of God go I.........
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member

Tragic event regardless of the man's IQ.

Even very smart folks do very stupid things in the heat of the moment... Have a plan, get everyone in the house on the same page, not a 100% guarantee it will work out the best but your odds will be better.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    I understand this but he is in a room with a closed door and a gun. Why fire blindly through the door?
    Panic kills.
  • LarryC213LarryC213 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    This is in reply to the fellow who asked: "How stupid can someone be."

I think the jury is still out on that one. Every month there is someone who breaks the record that was set on the previous month and nobody thinks that it will ever be broken.
    Thinking back into my dim gun memory, didn't Ken Cooper forumulate 4 rules of firearm safety many years ago? As I remember, they were:

1- Always assume a gun is loaded until you've checked it personally.
    2- Never point a gun at anything you're not prepared to destroy.
    3- Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until you're on target.
    4- Be certain of your target and what's behind it.

Those 4 rules, in this form or slightly altered, are the keys to gun safety.

And of course this: You are personally responsible for every round that leaves your firearm.

A tragedy but one we can learn from.
    Who was Ken Cooper ????

I remember Colonel Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C. Ret.... having expounded on the rules of gun safety in his monthly journals...

John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, born May 10, 1920 – died September 25, 2006, often recognized as the father of Modern shooting techniques and one of the 20th century's foremost experts on the use and history of small arms.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Who was Ken Cooper ????

He is with the South Hampton Cooper's.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I understand this but he is in a room with a closed door and a gun. Why fire blindly through the door?
    Panic kills.

Fear is a huge game changer, being in real fear of losing your life has a way of getting in the way and unless you "been there, done that" no one can predict how he/she will function under that kind of pressure so training is mandatory, a positive frame of mind is great but simply "thinking" one will thrive just because' is not .
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    :agree: :that:
    You're right, Jeff Cooper. I knew that, just testing you... right. Don't know where the "Ken" came from, I knew a race driver Ken Cooper. Things just kinda mix together in my brain these days...
    bruchi wrote: »
    Fear is a huge game changer, being in real fear of losing your life has a way of getting in the way and unless you "been there, done that" no one can predict how he/she will function under that kind of pressure so training is mandatory, a positive frame of mind is great but simply "thinking" one will thrive just because' is not .

You're totally correct, Bruchi, but very few of us have actually "been there" (been involved in a real-life shooting or near-shooting scenario). That's why, as you say, training is mandatory. Or at least practice in some way. Of lacking that, having a home-defense scenario laid out in your mind and something you've practiced at home, given a few run-throughs.

We've all seen TV shows and movies where the bad guy (or sometimes good guy) gets shot through a door or panel -- Dirty Harry did it to the airplane hijacker in Magnum Force -- and deep in our subconscious, that tactic is lurking there, waiting to trip us up if we don't override it with sensible self defense actions. Like "Always be certain of your target!"