Home Main Category General Firearms

Opinions on these Sights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glockman0422glockman0422 MemberPosts: 216 Member
I finally decided to replace the original plastic sights on my Glock 17. I wanted to get night sights but also wanted something that also provides some precision if needed. I was looking at the Heinie slant pro night sights and they were nice but somewhat expensive. Then i came upon these Ameriglo I-dot Pro sights and they looked to be exactly what i am looking for. So, i went ahead and ordered them. They should arrive on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these sights and can comment on their experience with them. I like the fact they feature a red ring around the front sight for daytime shooting and also tritium lamps made by Trijicon for low light conditions. I also like the two dot sight picture that seems to allows for quick target acquisition and also that the rear sight is wide enough to provide precision shooting, not to mention i found them for 80 bucks delivered. Here is a photo i found online, this is not my gun but it shows the exact sights im talking about.:beer:

idotpro.jpg

Replies

• NCShooterNCShooter New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    I like the way they look. Especially the wide rear notch. I used to swear by three white dots. However, with vision starting to fade, they just blur together. What works best for me now is a red dot that appears in a notched rear. However, for carry I want night sights. The combination you found seems to address all of those concerns in a single set. Neat stuff.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Sights are one of those "whatever works for you" sort of propositions that depends a lot on how an individual's brain is wired. I personally HATE the "Straight 8" sight configuration, regardless of whether it was made by Sig, Heinie, or anyone else. If you incorrectly fixate on the dots instead of the top edge of the sights (which this type of sight tends to drive me to do), you have a great reference point for windage, but nothing so good for elevation. Simple three dots do a better job of running in both axes, IMO.

U-notches in the rear (instead of square) also bug me a bit. Instead of a straight line straight to the bottom of the rear sight that lets you quickly sort out if things are centered, you're presented with a muddy slope at the bottom.

Front sights should be screaming neon green - that's the color that most draws the eye and most lends itself to clear definition. REAR sights should be red as it is not so easily fixated on - which is why it's used for tail-lights and has become more common as the color for "general information" gauges on dashboards.

So. . .for me, those sights are ALMOST the textbook picture of how NOT to do it (they DID get the width of the notch right), but whatever gets it done.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :that:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    Wow.......ouch!!!! Oh well I will try them out and see what happens. Dont have much of a choice since i already ordered them.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Bigslug is spot on, however, sometimes We may not have much of a choice, look at the Navy revolver rear sight, a notch in the hammer, good only when the revolver is cocked...... You learn to adapt to sights you are stuck with at times.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    For what you say you want to do, I think they look like a good option. My personal philosophy is that my Glocks aren't "precison" guns, so I can of like the clunkier picture Metrolight gives me, simply because its easier to get a flash sight piture with. I'll be first to admit there are other sites I could probably shoot a little more more accurately with--what you've got seems to fit the bill.

In regards to Bigslugs comment abount neon green--that's interesting. I wonder how much conditioning changes the way your brain works with color--I've been shooting S&W revolvers with red front site inserts for a long time, and lots of other guns with either gold, white, or nothing, and I'll admit that I've never had an experience of a front site really "popping" for me. I have gotten to work with a few shotguns that had fiber optic beads, and while they are easy to see I personally didn't find my skeet scores any better.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    I have a 10-8 u-notch rear sight on my Springfield Loaded 1911. I like it. With an orange dot front sight it's fast on target up close, the wide notch speeds up the sight picture, and using a dot of some sort up front the u-notch is pretty good. In other words, I'd be interested in those.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I also like the rear wide notch, does the front red insert glow in the dark? That would be a dealbreaker for me if it does not. I had figure 8 sights on a Sig 226 I made the mistake of trading, worked real nice, for a while it was my IPSC gun and it did great there.

Let us know how yours fare I am a big TRUGLO TFO fan but I want also sights for my G17 that are fast and easy for IPSC matches but also precise for target shooting.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi wrote: »
    I also like the rear wide notch, does the front red insert glow in the dark? That would be a dealbreaker for me if it does not. I had figure 8 sights on a Sig 226 I made the mistake of trading, worked real nice, for a while it was my IPSC gun and it did great there.

Let us know how yours fare I am a big TRUGLO TFO fan but I want also sights for my G17 that are fast and easy for IPSC matches but also precise for target shooting.

Yes, both the front and rear dots are nightsights made by Trijicon. Supposedly the front dot is brighter than the rear but i will see if its true when i get them. I will also post a review on them once i test them out.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I prefer a solid black rear sight, so I'm not real crazy about the tritium dot on the back.

Other than that, I like 'em. I like the wide U-notch and prefer a red front sight, so that would work pretty well for me. All three of my carry guns have blacked out rears and bright red fronts, granted it was done with matte black automotive touch up paint and neon red/orange fingernail polish, but still.....same same.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    They look interesting
    I'd like to shoot a handgun with them.
    Ok so i finally was able to shoot the glock with the new sights. I have to say im very happy with them. They are a big improvement over the polymer factory sights. They are very easy to see and they allow for quick target acquisition. not to mention the wide rear sight allows for precise shooting as well. I have not shot the gun in low light conditions but from what i can see from looking at them at night, the tritium lamps work very well. Here are some pictures:

Here is the best group of the day. Not sure how i managed to do this but this is an 8 rnd group at 15 yrds. I had a couple of flyers but did manage to get 4 thru the same hole.!!!

sighttarget.jpg

sight2.jpg

sight.jpg
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,095 Senior Member
    I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (overdid the !!!!'s, din't I :tooth:)

However, I would like to see a reasonable representation of them under the low light conditions; not a picture of the resultant target grouping, but how the sights actually appear to the eye at arms length in low light...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (overdid the !!!!'s, din't I :tooth:)

However, I would like to see a reasonable representation of them under the low light conditions; not a picture of the resultant target grouping, but how the sights actually appear to the eye at arms length in low light...

Yeah ive tried to get a shot of the sights at night but i have not been able to. But basically, its one green dot over another. very nice sight picture in all light conditions.