Home Main Category Personal Defense

Airport lobby

CaptainAhabCaptainAhab MemberPosts: 93 Member
My wife travels a lot, and I always carry when I drop her off at the airport, but wonder every time if I should be. I am in Iowa and have read the laws involved and see no mention that applies.

Anyone in the know?
In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
"Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I don't know Iowa but in Texas, there are "No Gun" zones in an airport that start at the security screening area, of course. I don't think there is any general legislation that prohibits legal concealled carry in the parking area and in the front section of the terminal.

If they've got those special "no gun" signs posted that include CHL permit holders maybe it's best to leave the weapon in the vehicle. But if the entrances don't have "no, not even licensed" gun signs it's okay. Federal law only prohibits weapons in secure areas.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    My car, like my home is my castle and most state laws would agree.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "My car, like my home is my castle and most state laws would agree."

Problem is most criminals do not agree, and do not follow State laws, and anything you leave in your car is up for grabs, if you do leave a firearm in a vehicle, make sure it is not easy to steal, center consoles or glove boxes, even if lockable, can be broken into with relative ease, try not to make it too easy for a criminal to steal your firearm.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I would agree with you in that, but the guy was talking about driving up to the airport departure lane while in his vehicle, not leaving a firearm in a parking lot.
    Jim
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    There was an issue...I believe in Texas...regarding a guy getting popped with an otherwise legal firearm on airport PROPERTY (a parking lot if I recall correctly)...not sure how that one turned out.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    "CURRENTLY" you are probably good.
    Trip back in time to 12 Sept. 2001. Actually a few days later when the airspace was reopened. When the sleepy ational Guardsman is on the remote security check point a mile prior to the terminal. Weapons were one thing the puppy was sniffing for.
    Keep up on your breaking news.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • CaptainAhabCaptainAhab Member Posts: 93 Member
    Well, I was actually referring to the lobby area before the security checkpoint. I usually walk her in, get luggage turned in and set a few minutes waiting for boarding.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Key Phase: the remote security check point a mile prior to the terminal

At Denver Int. AP they had a car check point well before they entered the terminal garages. Right about where the commercial traffic separates to go on their separate route.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    LOL, notice I am in Cedar Rapids, Iowa....yea, you've never heard of it. The only security is between the lobby and the gates; again, I HAVE been carrying into the lobby, setting there watching them check everyone. I haven't seen any signage except for actually boarding a plane. I guess I should ask someone.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    They have commercial planes in Iowa? Airports? I thought you farm kids only had crop dusters and dirt landing strips...

Seriously, my wife is from Charles City. That area defines the words "small town". Just ask your local LEO. Chances are they already know you are carrying, know your dad, know your dog, where you drink, etc....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You forgot the potatoes, lots of potatoes !!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,128 Senior Member
    CaptainAhab:
    You is just gonna have to check you stat law, since some are ok with it and others aren't
    DoctorWho......potatoes? wrong state, dude

I called the sheriffs office and they said that is strictly TSA jurisdiction and to ask them. So will do that next.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    DoctorWho......potatoes? wrong state, dude

I called the sheriffs office and they said that is strictly TSA jurisdiction and to ask them. So will do that next.

With all due respect to LEOs on the board, my personal experience is that LE is the absolutely worst place for legal advice unless you have heard from 1st hand experience from people you trust that the office/LE knows the facts. The primary example is nearly every sheriff office in PA dispenses incorrect information on carrying and what you are legally required to do. The best thing to do is to find your local state gun forum(s) and ask questions there, and/or review the gun laws yourself. FWIW, I'm glad that your sheriffs office told you to check with the TSA instead of making up some bogus laws.

In any case, as far as I know and IANAL, there are absolutely no restrictions at non-secured areas at commercial airports in the US. ATL at one point used one of the new prohibition laws to restrict people from carrying in non-secured areas (before going through metal detectors). It caused a huge uproar, discussed as it was the first of its kind (of prohibition), and things finally got clarified: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/category/action-items/hartsfield-airports-firearm-ban/ . The biggest clue is that TSA and airlines allow for the transport of firearms in checked in luggage. The way airports are designed, it's impossible to check in your firearms without going through the airport non-secured areas. Furthermore, I have never heard of a special entrance/path at any airport specifically created to allow for passengers to check in firearms so carrying can't be prohibited for that reason.

Contact whoever you need to contact if you still feel uneasy about it, but if they say that carrying is prohibited in non-secured areas, make sure that they cite legal writings (statutes and codes), NOT policies which usually have no legal standing.

IAN-Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    My wife travels a lot, and I always carry when I drop her off at the airport, but wonder every time if I should be. I am in Iowa and have read the laws involved and see no mention that applies.

Anyone in the know?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no federal law for concealed carry outside the security areas. However, I did discover that my resident state Florida, prohibits it, as does Virginia, two that I checked. I went to a site called "handgunlaw", I think it was, which summarizes each state's laws, which reported that it could find no prohibition for Iowa. One can, of course, carry a properly encased firearm into any airport for the purpose of taking it with you, as part of your luggage, etc.

So, its strictly a state matter, so check your own state. And don't take my word for any state law, check it out yourself.

Oh, and I'm only talking about the INSIDE of any terminal. Dropping a person off at an outside car drop-off area should be fine for concealed or car carry. Just don't go inside the terminal while carrying.
    I haven't called TSA yet, but have been thinking about the response I got from the sheriff's office........to my knowledge airports are not federal property! You would think a local sheriff would never surrender jurisdiction to a pack of half-wit, wand-wavers.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no federal law for concealed carry outside the security areas. However, I did discover that my resident state Florida, prohibits it, as does Virginia, two that I checked. I went to a site called "handgunlaw", I think it was, which summarizes each state's laws, which reported that it could find no prohibition for Iowa. One can, of course, carry a properly encased firearm into any airport for the purpose of taking it with you, as part of your luggage, etc.

So, its strictly a state matter, so check your own state. And don't take my word for any state law, check it out yourself.

Oh, and I'm only talking about the INSIDE of any terminal. Dropping a person off at an outside car drop-off area should be fine for concealed or car carry. Just don't go inside the terminal while carrying.

Thank you for this. It looks like FL and 5 other states (ND, OK, VA, IL, and AR) prohibit carrying inside terminals, including before entering secured area: http://www.floridacarry.org/issues/concealed-carry/40-airport-carry-is-legal-in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

I stand corrected.
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama