Home Main Category General Firearms

BAR in Manilla

CaptainAhabCaptainAhab MemberPosts: 93 Member
I watched a few WWII documentaries yesterday in tribute. This scene really caught my attention; I don't know who to credit for the video, but it came from the series Last Days of WWII.

This is during the retaking of Manilla.

The sign says, "Notice - Picking Flowers Absolutely Prohibited".
In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
"Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Is there a magazine in that rifle?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I watched a few WWII documentaries yesterday in tribute. This scene really caught my attention; I don't know who to credit for the video, but it came from the series Last Days of WWII.

This is during the retaking of Manilla.

The sign says, "Notice - Picking Flowers Absolutely Prohibited".

Very good Capt. Have you been to the Philippines? I love to hang out in Manila. We usually stay in Makati. My wife is from the Island of Negros Occidental in the Visayas. I also love to travel around the Islands when I'm there. I love Cebu. You can go from Negros to Cebu by WWII Landing craft on the bus. Talk about beautiful BLUE water.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaptainAhabCaptainAhab Member Posts: 93 Member
    Yes, I've been twice.
    In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
    "Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Is there a magazine in that rifle?
    I think the mag is holding the gun off the wall.
  • Martin-AMartin-A Member Posts: 111 Member
    I have no comment on th photo--just a question to you guys who have been to Manila. My Uncle was a paratrooper with the 11th Airborne and took part in the liberation of Manila. I heard that there was an 11th Airborne Highway there. Anyone know if this is true or still marked that way?

My uncle & my father (101st Airborne) were the reasons I went into the 82nd Airborne.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Martin-A wrote: »
    I have no comment on th photo--just a question to you guys who have been to Manila. My Uncle was a paratrooper with the 11th Airborne and took part in the liberation of Manila. I heard that there was an 11th Airborne Highway there. Anyone know if this is true or still marked that way?

My uncle & my father (101st Airborne) were the reasons I went into the 82nd Airborne.

I'm not sure, but I don't doubt it one bit Martin. The young Filipinos are like many young Americans and don't know their history well. But the older ones know about and remember things such as the invasion of the Islands by the Japanese, the seige of Bataan, the battle for Bataan, the Death March, Camp O'Donnel and all of that. And they are very proud of their fighting records. My uncle was a Captain in the 57th Infantry, Philippine Scouts, one of the best bunch of fighters in WWII. He survived all of that and ended up in Cabanatuan Prison and died there in October 1942 during a Diptheria epidemic. He received the DSC Posthumously in 1948 in a celebration in San Antonio from General Jonathan Wainwright which was presented to his family and his wife, my aunt (My mother's sister). Cabanatuan is the prison that the 6th Rangers freed at the end of January 1945. That is what the movie, the great raid was about.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.