Home Main Category General Firearms

Taurus 738 TCP

vorndamrvorndamr New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
I recently purchased this gun which is double action only. Is it safe to carry with one in the chamber? Thanks in advance, Rod

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I doubt that many folks here know much about Taurus model numbers, but as a rule, carrying a handgun without a loaded chamber is considered carrying an unloaded gun, by folks who are serious about self defense.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I doubt that many folks here know much about Taurus model numbers, but as a rule, carrying a handgun without a loaded chamber is considered carrying an unloaded gun, by folks who are serious about self defense.

:that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    vorndamr wrote: »
    I recently purchased this gun which is double action only. Is it safe to carry with one in the chamber? Thanks in advance, Rod

Heck no, keep ammo and Taurus apart by 20 feet until on the range and warn bystanders you are about to fire it...:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    It doesn't get any simpler than that. :that:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    yes, bisley is so right about a gun not chambered. The Taurus 738 is a cool little gun and it is safe to carry with one in the chamber. I really like my PT 609 and the 738 is actually easier to conceal than my 609. How does it shoot and what ammo are you using?

Very good video Eli, very revealing

I have one of the first ones and had to go back twice, but since then over 300 rounds without cleaning on 100 and its running great, serves as my back up or quick to store gun
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,115 Senior Member
    vorndamr wrote: »

it's a striker fired pistol, so it's not "cocked" until you pull the trigger, that long heavy trigger pull is an additional "safety" of sorts...so keep your finger off the trigger, carry it in a quality holster and you won't have issues. When bad stuff happens it generally happens quickly, you won't have time to be running a slide...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Other than a few single action revolvers, most handguns are safe with a chambered round. The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked, but a lot of folks get a little uncomfortable seeing that hammer back in the full-cock position. I like the safety system on my Polish P-64, which totally disconnects the trigger with the safety engaged and a round chambered.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    it's a striker fired pistol, so it's not "cocked" until you pull the trigger, that long heavy trigger pull is an additional "safety" of sorts...so keep your finger off the trigger, carry it in a quality holster and you won't have issues. When bad stuff happens it generally happens quickly, you won't have time to be running a slide...

:that::agree:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Welcome, and did you ever pick a subject, the guys here love Taurus revolvers and pistols:angel2::popcorn:

Actually, My problems were with some of their revolvers, esp a model 85, soft metal parts and prone to wear out sooner, their auto loaders seemed to be more or less good.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I have also read where lawyers and such would consider racking the slide to load your pistol during a comfrontation would be considered an agrresive action and would get you into trouble. If you are not confident on carrying a loaded gun then you either have the wrong firearm or you are not ready to carry it.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I would say best to keep one chambered; at least that way you'll be pretty sure it will fire at least once!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    I generally avoid admitting to owning or ever having purchased a Taurus firearm...

That said, a while back I bought my first and only Taurus handgun--A 738 TCP in .380. Mine is the base model that comes in blue. This makes my third pocket .380, having previously owned a Kel-Tec and a Ruger LCP.

I know I'll get laughed off of here by saying this, but the TCP is by far my favorite of the 3 small .380s I've owned. I have about 300 rounds through it and I literally haven't had a SINGLE malfunction of any kind with no less than 3 brands of hardball and 4 brands of hollow points.

The trigger is better than the other two I owned, percieved recoil is less and mine shoots to point of aim at 7 yds--something neither of my others did. My Ruger LCP shot 6-7" low at 7yds. My Kel-Tec wouldn't group good enough to tell, lol.

I'm not advocating for loading up on Taurus handguns, in fact I'm afraid to purchase another TCP for my wife for fear of disappointment. Online reviews are spotty.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: