Home Main Category Hunting

17HMR for p-dogs?

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
Why or why not?

17HMR for p-dogs? 22 votes

Yes
54%
N454casullMichakavjbohiobklysenjustin10mm41magnutgator1965JeffLonewolf-Peru30-30shootershiftyshooterbsjracing 12 votes
No
36%
BigDanSDiver43JerryBobCosnake284Weatherbyfarm boyErnie Bishopsarg1c 8 votes
Yeah, Coyotes too!
9%
NNjj33002 2 votes

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    No
    #1 would be Ammo cost plain and simple
    #2 would be range limitation
    #3 would be dealing with wind conditions
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    Yes, but it will limit your range to 150yards. Where most shooting starts.

They were shooting groundhogs at the waste water plant where I used to work (they burrow into the pond dams) with .17HMR's. Saw them shot out to 100 yards, and it did fine.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    hmmm well it's not on their website but Cabelas has a box of some ungodly number like 1K rounds for $120 for 17hmr right now so fromt hat it didn't look like the ammo cost was bad.

I had no idea what kind of range these would have considering wind and such and it's literally the size of a BB. Good to know.
    No
    I'm not knocking the 17 HMR there are simply better /cheaper choices for shooting a large amount of Dogs

I've dispatched a variety of things with mine up to coons and woodchucks

The 17 grain V-max is devastating

IMG_0203-2.jpg
    that's quite the nice lookin gun there Weatherby. The ones in my LGS are synth stock. They have both heavy and taper barrel for pretty much the same price. Any advantage to the heavy barrel with this type of gun?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,485 Senior Member
    Don't know how the wind is where you shoot pdogs, but I know a 17 HMR wouldn't even take you halfway to "close range" in these parts.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Yes
    Give it a shot, send pics+ range report on your findings.:up:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Never shot P dogs, but I know the wife and I were hitting the gongs set at 175yards with our .22LR's. Im just guessing that anything past 150yards isn't gonna cut it due to wind and bullet drop.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,287 Senior Member
    Quinian wrote: »
    hmmm well it's not on their website but Cabelas has a box of some ungodly number like 1K rounds for $120 for 17hmr right now so fromt hat it didn't look like the ammo cost was bad.

I had no idea what kind of range these would have considering wind and such and it's literally the size of a BB. Good to know.

Unless youare seeing something I am not, it is 500rounds for $129.99 which is pretty average. If that is not what you are seeing, how about a link. I could use some.

Sako
    it's not on their site just in the store. could be part of their memorial day blow out. I'll likely never see that price again but still 500 for 130 isn't bad
    No
    That's $13. a box for ammo that will get you to 175 yards.
    You can reload centerfire rounds cheaper and shoot them at any distance your likely to see them
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    No
    I've never shot Pdogs but reading our resident Pdog killers posts would tell me it is probably not adequate for LR Shooting. Up close and personal? Why not? I believe that a 17 grain bullet will kill a big rat. That's not the issue. It's a distance and loss of velocity and energy thing. Also, it's a wind problem thing. Not even the center fire versions of the 17 are going to reach out 400-500 yards and kill with regularity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    for a dog gun (yotes included) I was considering a bolt .223 but I'm not lookin to spend 500 bucks. The 17hmr at my LGS is 150~ and they have a few versions to pick from. I guess for that price I could grab one for a fun gun but that'd leave me 150 + ammo down on getting a .223 so at this point that may be pointless
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    I have shot my Savage 93R17 out to 200 yards at the range only. It was windless and I made 1.5 MOA with the 20gr XTP ammo. Does it have enough energy left at 200 to dispatch anything larger than a hamster? I don't know. But the accuracy is there.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    No
    for a dog gun (yotes included) I was considering a bolt .223 but I'm not lookin to spend 500 bucks. The 17hmr at my LGS is 150~ and they have a few versions to pick from. I guess for that price I could grab one for a fun gun but that'd leave me 150 + ammo down on getting a .223 so at this point that may be pointless

You can get a Stevens 200 in 223 and a medium priced scope but for LR shooting at small objects I would want a minimum of 18x. I think the Bushnell Legend can be had for less than 200 in a 15 x scope. That would get you started. A Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 will set you back about $280-$300 and the Buckmaster 6-18x40 can be had for $320-$330. So with mounts, that will put you over $600. If you want a decent Pdog rig save your money a little longer. Unless you pick up a bargain used rifle and scope, it's going to be over your $500 Budget.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    No
    I voted no. It is like hitting beer cans at 200 to 300 yards, in the wind and a 17 to 20 gr bullet just is not enough. Snake is right on when he says an 18x scope would help a lot and you have bucks in that. I think you need to expand your budget, and consider a 22-250 or a .223 bolt gun.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Personally, I think the .223 Rem is the most useful chambering for pdogs out there. There are others that are fine, but on the whole, nothing is better suited to the task than the .223 Rem. I've scored pdog hits at 450-500 yards with a couple of mine with boring monotony, and enough at 700 to know it wasn't an accident.

In pdogging, distance isn't the issue. It's wind.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,858 Senior Member
    No
    Agreed!
    Linefinder wrote: »
    In pdogging, distance isn't the issue. It's wind. Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jj33002jj33002 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Yeah, Coyotes too!
    If you are looking at investing in a rifle specifically for p-dogs, then I would suggest otherwise. As everyone has said, you are limited to 150 yds. with the 17 HMR. But if you are just asking if a 17 will do the job, yes it will. I have even killed a couple of coyotes with mine, the furthest shot being about 75-80 yds. So in short, if you have one you want to take along then by all means do so, but if you are looking at investing in a rifle for p-dogs then you might want to look at other options. Just my 2 cents.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    No
    jj33002 wrote: »
    If you are looking at investing in a rifle specifically for p-dogs, then I would suggest otherwise. As everyone has said, you are limited to 150 yds. with the 17 HMR. But if you are just asking if a 17 will do the job, yes it will. I have even killed a couple of coyotes with mine, the furthest shot being about 75-80 yds. So in short, if you have one you want to take along then by all means do so, but if you are looking at investing in a rifle for p-dogs then you might want to look at other options. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree. My good friend Linefinder, who is now touting the .223 as the perfect Pdog rifle, recommended to me that I get a .204 Ruger if I want something just for pdogs. I did, and I'm not disappointed. I've made kills with mine to a quarter mile. I also agree about the wind being a major factor.

I also have an old, beat up .222 Remington, and have made a number of kills at distances to 350 yards. It's not quite up to .223 performance, but pretty darn close. For an old Savage Model 340 with a really cheap BSA scope on it, it does ok. I think if someone could get their hands on a .222 Remington Magnum, a reliable supply of brass, and knows how to reload, that would be a hard chambering to beat. Also, you'd likely be the only kid on the block who has one.

All things considered, though, the big difference between Linefinder making routine kills with his .223 at 400-500 yards and me not being able to do so with my .204 Ruger is that he's just a whole lot better shot than I am when it comes to hitting small targets at long distances. In my humble opinion, it's the shooter's ability more than anything else that makes the difference in this sport. That's really THE MAJOR factor to be considered.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    No
    I think if someone could get their hands on a .222 Remington Magnum, a reliable supply of brass, and knows how to reload, that would be a hard chambering to beat.

Isn't the 204 just necked down .222 rem mag brass?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,858 Senior Member
    No
    Accuracy of weapon, chambering/proper twist/bullet, type of rest used, combined with a person of good shooting skill will allow one to do some fun things further. I try to look at it from a systems approach.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I totally agree. My good friend Linefinder, who is now touting the .223 as the perfect Pdog rifle, recommended to me that I get a .204 Ruger if I want something just for pdogs.

And, you know, that's something I've thought about a lot since then. At one time, though I've never owned one, I was just sure that the .22-250 was "tops" in the pdog circuit. But when I found out just how many tons of rounds you can fire in a day, on a great day, I figured barrel wear would be a major issue. And if it's your only pdog rifle and you're shooting 400-500 rounds a trip, you're not going to be making a whole lot of trips before a new barrel is in (on) order.

In steps the .204 Ruger. IMO, it is superior to the .223 Rem ballistically for pdogs. It does seem, from what I've heard with the passage of time, a bit harder on barrels than the .223 Rem. For that reason only, the .223 Rem gets a very slight nod from me. Other than that, I'd take a .204 Ruger for pdogs any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'd not pick the .223 Rem over the .204 Ruger if I just wanted a .204.

Mike
    N454casull
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Just drive around the field until the wind is at your back. 17HMR with a can could be handy when shooting the urban poodles. With most of the prairie poodles that I see anymore in town or along the freeway inside metro limits, the suppressed 17 may work well.
    The low report may allow closer shooting for a while longer than the first round fired. The major short coming of 22-250 is that after you light it off the nearest thing above ground is out near 350.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    Just for the fun of it I'm temped to take the Mosin Nagant out. I'm sure I'd miss a whole bunch but it would be pretty fun anyway and the ammos dirt cheap.. actually... 440 for $90. the 17hmr is running $110 for 500. Meh it's about the same cost. Fun anyway
    No
    Why or why not?

This has been cussed and discussed in numerous other topics. Go look it up.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    This has been cussed and discussed in numerous other topics. Go look it up.

Little late to the party buddy :) I googled it but I guess my googlefu was weak because I didn't find much which is why I asked here. If I ever ask something here it's because I was not satisfied with my google search and want the expert opinions of members of this board.
    No
    Little late to the party buddy :) I googled it but I guess my googlefu was weak because I didn't find much which is why I asked here. If I ever ask something here it's because I was not satisfied with my google search and want the expert opinions of members of this board.

I just now realized that this is the thread you started several days ago, and one I had already responded to. I missed the fact that this was a poll, which was the cause of my confusion.

So, please accept my apology for my earlier statement.
    Jerry

No
    cpj wrote: »
    Is now the proper time for the "senile old man" comments?

Senile, probably. Old, not so much.

Now hush, you young whippersnapper.
    Jerry

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,225 Senior Member
    Yes
    Out to 100 yards or so, I do not see any problem with the HMR.

I have found it best to limit the 22LR to 50-60 yards on both p-dogs and yodel dogs.

I consider the 22Mag a much better choice out to 75-125 yards.

I understand BC and SD are supposed to be outstanding on these .17 bullets, but the wind blows most of the time round here and a 22 hornet or 223R seem to be a more logical choice on the high plains of Texas.

I have looked at the hummers several times but have yet to see enough advantage to give my my 22Mag.

Folks that own 'em swear by them, and I am happy for them.

<Thread hi-jack>

This town (Lubbock) is getting lousy with prairie dogs. all within the city limits, therefore off limits. Around the edges of town any parcel of land larger than a residential lot more than likely will have p-dogs on it.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: