Home Main Category Clubhouse

If things keep going the way they are, I might have to change my forum name to....

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,112 Senior Member
........Exorchidman!!

Am four weeks into the export season, got the returns back for the month........Have just managed to cover the 1st weeks wages for my staff. ( that doesnt include other overheads or my salary!!!!)

With the damage to Japans economy caused by the earthquakes/Tsunami and lousy prices, coupled with the crap thats going down in the USA economy, I may have to pull the plug on the operation and go get a real job.

Out of 400+ boxes exported so far I have only received orders for 8, last year 60% of the 1st months production were orders as opposed to sales on the auction floor.

Producing luxury commodities relies on a healthy economy and people having disposable income.......Producing necessities like toilet paper relies solely on people having to crap.......

What really annoys the hell out of me is that the Kiwi dollar has reached an all time high at 87.6c US.........last year it was hovering around 64c from memory. With the dollar so high its killing our economy which is export based.

I do have a solution though.

All you married guys need to go out and buy more guns, make sure your wives etc know what you did, then go buy flowers (orchids) to make amends/sweeten your partners up.

Its a win-win situation. You guys get more guns, your wives feel happy, I get to make money..........and go hunting.

If things dont pick up soon, I might have to sell guns!!!!!!:yikes: :silly: :tissue: :angry: :bang:
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Damn dude, that sucks man. I hope it picks up for you soon.

On a lighter note, go ahead and make plans to hide the port, cpj has plans to smuggle back a few barrels.:tooth:
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that. The economy sucks!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this my friend:down:
    Hopefully things will turn around for you SOON:applause:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Wish I could help you sir. I keep on buying flowers tho...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    :angel2: it works out.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    Sure hope that things make a bit turn in the up direction for you soon!!

My wife collects orchids, wish it was easier to ship them internationaly, I would make my purchases from you.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    Alec, hate to hear that your orchid business is so slow this year. Seems like a whole lot of things have come together at once to put things in the toilet worldwide. Sure hope that sales pick up and you have a good year!:angel:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,331 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that Orch.

Any way you can parlay your operation into something more profitable? :roll:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtTwBDWoDs4M8zHIVE20YYAycAXlOrLngrvCpjgu35eRO8QP8siA
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Hope things get better for you soon. A suggestion. Convince people that orchids are the new trendy toilet paper and they should be used to wipe their butts. Get some celebrity (Justin Beiber?:roll:) to do a commercial for you. You know them folks in Japan will fall for anything if marketed right.:roll2:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    Hope thing turn around for you would hate to see your name change and selling your firearms even worse.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    I hear you on this really going the way of the suck. I've had to sell all but the guns that I keep for defensive purposes just to keep the light s on and food on the table. I'm working, but the wife currently is not. She is able to stay home, which is good, but my wages don't amount to much. I'm trying to step up in what I make, but other employment is hard to find, and what I have is secure for the moment.

If all else fails, I hear that Eric is building a nice addition in Montana. We can liquidate everything and head out there.:tooth:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the news brother. Knowing about Japan and the lousy economy in the US why didn't you cut back production and staff? Just curious...

Good point Wambli.

Trouble is the plants decide how much they are going to produce.............and once they start throwing flowers out you cant stop them.

If you leave the flowers on the plant and dont pick them, it drains the plant and causes it to regress. Hence I need to pick them.
    Its not all gloom and doom however, there is always a good side. Having lots of flowers and markets being in the toilet, means I can perform ROK's ( Random Acts of Kindness ).

Rang the local Victims Support Unit yesterday and delivered them about 200 stems to disperse to their clients.....

Gave a box to the local hairdresser and got a free haircut, a box to the local gas supplier ( His wife has cancer) got me 2 9kg gas bottles filled for $20 cash ( Normally would cost about $55).

Was standing outside the local shops last night jawing with one of the owners when a nice looking lady stopped and asked him if he had any flowers as she was on her way to see her mum in hospital. All he had was a couple of straggly bunches of gerbera's. I gave her 6 stems for nothing........She arrived on my doorstep this morning ( having found out where I live ) and gave me 6 fresh homebaked blueberry muffins as a thankyou.
    She told her Thai next door neighbour ( who does traditional thai massage) about the flowers and she has offered me a free massage weekly if I provide flowers for her business.

While it doesnt pay the bills, it does make life much more interesting.

I am picking ( no pun intended) that I will cover costs this year, but it will be close.

Now if the Govt legalised Marijuana I could switch crops and make a killing...........
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Every time I buy tomatoes and cucumbers at the supermarket, which I love as a salad with Bermuda onion and scallions, I say to myself that if I had the $$$ to get some land I would just plant tomatoes and cucumbers as photography does not sell anymore here, you have the land, get some tomato seeds or whatever people crave over there and sells for a pretty penny!

Do let me know when the dough starts to roll in so I can direct you to where send my part of the profit...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Funny you should mention tomatoes. The price of them has skyrocketed over the past 6 months and they are now almost classed as luxuries....

Trouble is, my setup isnt amenable to growing many other crops...... at least those that are legal lol.

Always wanted to have a vegetable crop in one corner of the orchidhouses. Grew some peppers and tomatoes for myself a few years back and supplied the whole family.........then they changed the export certification process and put in rules that you couldnt grow anything else in with the orchids for phytosanitary reasons. Damn beaurocrats!!!!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

All you married guys need to go out and buy more guns, make sure your wives etc know what you did, then go buy flowers (orchids) to make amends/sweeten your partners up.

Its a win-win situation. You guys get more guns, your wives feel happy, I get to make money..........and go hunting.

If things dont pick up soon, I might have to sell guns!!!!!!

Tell you what Alec. . .I call dibs on your pre-'64 .375, and I'll buy the bouquet of apology cattleyas at the same time. Deal?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Hope things get better for you soon. A suggestion. Convince people that orchids are the new trendy toilet paper and they should be used to wipe their butts. Get some celebrity (Justin Beiber?:roll:) to do a commercial for you. You know them folks in Japan will fall for anything if marketed right.:roll2:
    Even better yet...... convince dumb teenagers that smoking orchids will get them high lol. Oh todays youth.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    Now if the Govt legalised Marijuana I could switch crops and make a killing...........
    Plus, you would really enjoy your work.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    I hope everything works out for you. This economy seems to be getting worse all the time even though the talking heads keep telling us its getting better.
  • rjaxonrjaxon New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    ........Exorchidman!!

Am four weeks into the export season, got the returns back for the month........Have just managed to cover the 1st weeks wages for my staff. ( that doesnt include other overheads or my salary!!!!)

With the damage to Japans economy caused by the earthquakes/Tsunami and lousy prices, coupled with the crap thats going down in the USA economy, I may have to pull the plug on the operation and go get a real job.

Out of 400+ boxes exported so far I have only received orders for 8, last year 60% of the 1st months production were orders as opposed to sales on the auction floor.

Producing luxury commodities relies on a healthy economy and people having disposable income.......Producing necessities like toilet paper relies solely on people having to crap.......

What really annoys the hell out of me is that the Kiwi dollar has reached an all time high at 87.6c US.........last year it was hovering around 64c from memory. With the dollar so high its killing our economy which is export based.

All you married guys need to go out and buy more guns, make sure your wives etc know what you did, then go buy flowers serenata (orchids) to make amends/sweeten your partners up.

If things dont pick up soon, I might have to sell guns!!!!!!:yikes: :silly: :tissue: :angry: :bang:

I hope things will get picked up for you :( the times are really harsh right now - I get that in my own company as well. So many people can't bring the results they should and so many of them get fired. It is quite hard these days. And I wonder every day if I am going to be one of the next guys who get dismissed...
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    Sorry Alec, wish I could help out. I can't afford orchids or guns right now myself.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Alec,
    Seeing as this thread is almost a year old... business doing any better?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Its too early to tell yet Earl. The season ( weather wise) is all screwed up and it seems that production might be down. I normally start exporting the 2nd week in June but at the moment I only have 2 stems open.
    Our dollar is still high which will affect returns from both the USA and Japan, and neither market looks like it is out of the current recession. I am still hanging on ( thanks to a bank manager that didnt 'cut and run' at the first sign of problems). Have had the farm and 2 sections at the back of the homestead on the market for the last 10mths or so but real estate is only just starting to move.

On the upside...........One of the local tertiary institutes wants to give me 2 of their top horticultural students for a month so that they can get work experience towards their degree's.......dont need to pay them so that will help. Both are Japanese girls in their 20's from what I gather and are interested in Orchids. May have to offer them free board so they dont have travel costs...they board on the other side of the city at the moment. I might trade them board for work and also do a reciprocal with language ie they teach me Japanese and I help them with their Engrish........

A few of the other growers have 'pulled the plug' and sold up so I am hoping that I will pick up more orders.

I think the US election year will depress the market somewhat, due to the uncertainty of what will happen and that your markets may not 'fire' as people cut back further on spending.

Having said all that, I am confident I will make ends meet..........provided some illegitimate S.O.B. doesnt move the ends again. Hopefully Mark will be recovered enough to get the charter boat back on the water in October which will make a difference.

Thanks for asking.

Alec.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I wish I could have more good news for you...but things are not looking good in Europe. The dollar is up against the Euro (~.04) in the last two weeks. That is actually a big jump. It normally stays steady around .72. It has been at .76xx and is still looking to climb. Greece is pulling the Euro down like a ship anchor. France can't step with their elections still being fresh. Germany is looking to see how they can best play it. The Brits are pushing away fast and clinging to the pound. Italy is still Italy, they won't come off a coffee break long enough to pass legislation.

On a good note, I did order Orchids for my daughter's graduation in a few weeks. The graduate late here in Europe.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Things better?

Downscale and adapt if not, grow tomatoes, etc. instead of orchids...I know it is so hard to give up on something one had been doing for a long time and more if success has been attained at some point but there are times when reinventing yourself is the only road.

I did very well after a lot of work, financial woes, huge dept and sacrifice to get out of the hole and thrive as a photographer, something that not only paid the rent and then some but something that as an artist I loved doing, work has been bellow dismal in that area.

I just got a call for my second gig as a photographer this year, covering some speaker at some event for a couple of hours, something a decade ago I would had not even paid any attention to, much less consider doing. I am getting paid the same amount I got for the other job I did couple of months ago, $200, not bad for 2 hours work but once every 2-3 months won't do, so far this year my entire photography earnings add to date $400, this after I get paid for tomorrow's gig!

If it was not because my brother's business still stands and that as a norm we have always helped the other in hard times I would be out in the street and his business as yours is having a real hard time staying afloat, more so making a reasonable profit.

I am finally selling most of my analog cameras, those I paid tens of thousands of $$$ for a fraction of their cost so I can convert a truck my brother has no use for into a burrito "roach coach" I will be mashing beans and manning a grill after decades of shooting mayor ad campaigns. Have no other choice so the plan is to make the best of the situation.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member

On the upside...........One of the local tertiary institutes wants to give me 2 of their top horticultural students for a month so that they can get work experience towards their degree's.......don't need to pay them so that will help. Both are Japanese girls in their 20's from what I gather and are interested in Orchids.... I might trade them board for work and also do a reciprocal with language ie they teach me Japanese and I help them with their English.

Hmm...How you say "take off your top" in japanese?:jester::devil:
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Orchids are very prone to contamination. All work in the greenhouse must be done in the nude

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    dlk wrote: »
    Hmm...How you say "take off your top" in japanese?:jester::devil:

orchidman does not have to say anything........ with the heat generated in the hothouse, those tops wilt off on their own......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    orchidman does not have to say anything........ with the heat generated in the hothouse, those tops wilt off on their own......

Hmm...How you say "take off your top" in japanese? I dont know.......Knowing my luck it will come out as "Does your Mum's dog still fart"

Besides, the orchid houses are not heated and we are almost into winter, which precludes removing clothing.
    If they did, it will probably mean 'headlights on high beam'......................
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Still say you need to look into converting your operation form orchids to hops.....
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Breamfisher ask if things are better, I hope it is and even if things are better, I will buy the pre-'64 .375 :up::up:

Hey now, hands of MY future gun purchase lol. You can buy the 270 ;)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.