Home Main Category General Firearms

Need AR lower assembly tools... Is there a kit I can buy?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
Last weekend at the Fun Show I scored two lower parts kits, and two flat top Spikes complete uppers. I can now assemble two 100% Spikes Military M4's.

I stll need two rear sights for the build. I thought about a lot of different options but since this is my first build I wanted to build it "standard" before I venture into other AR options. Now I need tools.

I have reviewed the assembley threads at Ar15.com and it appears I will benefit from some tools, such as a barrel wrench / castle nut wrench, specific sized punches, roll pin starters, etc.

Does anyone sell an AR 15 lower assembly tool kit? I'd be glad to put it in my toolbox.

Also what do you all recommend for a decent rear folding sight?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Afraid all I can recommend is the rear sight: Troy makes excellent folding front and rear sights, which I have on one of mine after trying several different brands. I built three ARs with simple hand tools and advice from AR15.com and M4Carbine.net, but an armorer buddy torqued the barrels for me. I didn't have to buy any special tools; since it's not my specialty I didn't want to shell out a bunch for tools I'd only use a couple of times. I'd rather pay someone knowledgeable $10 or $20 to do it for me.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Brownell's sells an armorer's kit, but it is over $300 for the entry level kit, and includes everything but the kitchen sink.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23880/Product/TOOL_KITS_FOR_AR_15_M16_M4

What I think you need:
    Armorers combination wrench
    Set of roll pin punches
    Set of pin punches (very handy when aligning/installing fire control parts)
    Upper and lower receiver vise blocks
    Good quality small hammer, one brass face and one polymer face on the head; hammer weight 8 oz.
    Piece of spring steel wire to be bent 90 deg. on one end to hold that :cuss: detent spring and plunger back while you install the front hinge pin.
    These tools should get you by, especially if you have a few other tools handy.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Yep....what Mike said........unless you are building tons of them....and even then.....we built tons of lowers at the shop, and just had the customer buy a complete upper......Ken
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Last weekend at the Fun Show I scored two lower parts kits, and two flat top Spikes complete uppers. I can now assemble two 100% Spikes Military M4's.

I stll need two rear sights for the build. I thought about a lot of different options but since this is my first build I wanted to build it "standard" before I venture into other AR options. Now I need tools.

I have reviewed the assembley threads at Ar15.com and it appears I will benefit from some tools, such as a barrel wrench / castle nut wrench, specific sized punches, roll pin starters, etc.

Does anyone sell an AR 15 lower assembly tool kit? I'd be glad to put it in my toolbox.

Also what do you all recommend for a decent rear folding sight?
    D

Youre going to have some fun with your build.

what i found out assembling my lower was that a good roll pin punch set was handy.

> the only tool that i didnt have but imo is needed is the starter pin punch for the ejection port pin. It needs to be long to reach into and along the receiver.

> the only other tool needed for the lower is a spanner wrench for the stock. choose your poison here.

a good vise is nice. if you choose the special blocks to hold the lower/upper can be used.

a brass hammer is nice and someplace to work so you dont loose any parts.

if youre going to assemble the uppers, then other tools are required.

you may want to look at the ar15 assembly guides by Kuleck & McKee. they were really helpful for me and they covered what too look for and the pitfalls of that particular part/assembly.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    I've done two the same as Wambli, except I didn't even use punches. And I think instead of 'crescent wrench' it was supposed to be vise grip pliers, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how a crescent wrench would help. Anyhow, the only other tool I have is a wrench for the buffer tube nut. I have not done any removing or installing of barrels though. One thing I would buy if I do any more is a magazine well vise block to hold the lower while I'm working on it to free up my hands more. I also agree with Wambli on the DPMS multi tool. That's on my list to get as well.

If working on the upper and lower, the vise blocks tennmike mentioned is a good idea.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Think this will take care of pretty much all for both the upper and lower...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41214/Product/AR_15_M16_CRITICAL_TOOL_KIT

Pretty much all you need for the lower is a couple of punches and a tiny hammer, now the front take down pin and it's spring can be a lot of fun to get in...there's a like $4 tool that makes that easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=920248

And not a bad idea to have replacement springs, they tend to launch into orbit!!!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41458/Product/AR_15_M16_PARTS_KIT
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    I use a couple of punches, small hammer, small piece of wood to support the trigger guard ears, tape to protect the lower while installing the roll pin for the bolt release, razor blade to hold the spring/catch assembly for the pivot pin, armorer's tool, grease for barrel nut and trigger/hammer contact points, oil for other parts including the trigger and hammer pins. I also thread the lower and install an allen screw to install the spring/catch for the take down pin on all my lowers.

An old magazine in a vise can be used to hold the lower if needed.
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    The "block" that fits in your vice, and adapts to the magazine well of the lower, money well spent. ($10-15)
    If you don't already have a bunch of nice punches, then a roll pin punch set is well worth it.
    For $10, the buttstock spanner wrench is worth it.
    That will build you a lower. I included prices, because I paid MUCH more for my tools at a gun show than I could have ordered them for off the net.

Good luck, buddy. :beer:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Thanks all. I need a big clear plastic bag too...

Although a cheap " kit" sounds like a business opportunity.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    You don't need much for the lower:

You need two sizes of roll pin punch for the bolt stop and trigger guard pins.
    You need a castle nut wrench for locking down the buffer tube on a collapsible stock carbine - which is usually also cut to tighten the tube on a rifle.
    There's a special L-shaped tool that is very helpful for installing the front takedown detent, but you can get by by slightly modifying one of those staple pullers that kind of looks like a shoehorn. Whichever one you use, have something ready to catch the detent when you launch it.

I like the military Matech folding rear sight - mostly because it has rapid elevation adjustment from 200 to 600 meters, where most other folders force you to adjust elevation at the front.
    You need a screwdriver for installing the pistol grip
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    The blue tape is essential!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    As is the gallon-size plastic bag, for when you're assembling things like the pivot pin detent spring.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Dan, you might like this flip up rear sight. It is a PADS sight with the elevation controlled by a paddle on the left side.
    Here is a picture of it:
    http://brigadearmory.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=35&products_id=341&osCsid=a38f29e91ee59c259b7255341a48ad1e

And you can buy it here for half price!:

http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1605.html
    The regular price is $114.98 but it goes on sale in August for $75.99
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams