Knife to a gun fight: Mythbusters

2»

Replies

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    You win. They don't. Implement tactics to effect this strategy.
  • ChevelleChevelle Banned Posts: 67 Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    I don't know the 21 ft rule. File that under the millions of things I don't know.

Also, Adam was about as fast as Jug in "Support Your Local Gunfighter"

It's called TUELLER'S DRILL.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Bill Jordan said it best:

31APVB4357L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,065 Senior Member
    One other thing is that knife wounds are more often deadlier than gunshot wounds. Stats prove this. Knife wounds are typically muntiple wounds, messing up a lot of anatomy.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    When I took my CCW class our instructor first checked my gun to make sure it was unloaded and then had the class watch while I stood at the 7 yard line and he took a machete and walked back and forth where the targets stood, imitating a person who was "agitated".

My instructions were to watch and wait for him to "charge" me. When he did, I was to draw, point my gun well to the side of him and yell bang.

The first time, I bobbled my grab and by the time I got a good grip and was pulling my gun from the holster he was running right by me. If I had shot him it would have been while he had knocked me down and was hacking away at me.

The second time, I executed a decent draw and yelled bang just as he was about 3 feet from me which means he still would have hacked on me but at least he would have started with one shot in him.

Neither scenario was good for the guy that brought a gun to a knife fight.

It's an interesting drill and really left an impression on me.

We did a similar drill. The ONLY person who ever won that scenario was the one who immediately turned and ran away from the guy with the knife (while drawing his gun), until his weapon was drawn. Inside 21' you won't beat the guy with the knife unless you're damn near lightning quick.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
2»