For those who have to dress nice: carry options?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,108 Senior Member
The other day I went to an event where my usual carry system of jeans with an untucked shirt was not going to cut it. Jeans with a tucked in dress shirt was not an option, either. So I had to wear "dress" pants: lightweight slacks. The problem with that is that I couldn't carry without printing. My tuckable holster would show up in normal wear (black clips sticking out under the belt. Pocket carry was out because with the lightweight pants I'd have this large bulge in my pocket from the J-frame Smith in a pocket holster. I had to go unarmed. Didn't expect any trouble, but being one who carries out of general principle, I still didn't like the situation. I still had my Kershaw Blur, but that was it. So... anybody in a similar situation? What do you carry? How do you deal with this? Please, don't suggest a light jacket. It's Florida. In the summer. I was outdoors. If I showed up like that it would draw looks and questions, because that behavior is so far outside of my normal routine that people would inquire.

My question to those who carry while dressed nice is, how do you do it?
Belly band?
Small 9mm semiauto in the pocket?
Small .380 (i.e. LCP) in the pocket?
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    I generally wear tight-fitting clothes to parties and events, think European style, most recently to 2 weddings in 2 weeks. I carried my LCP in a Galco Ankle Lite at both weddings like I've done for every single event in the past that required dressing up.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I just did a dry run with a pair of Haggar pleated trousers and I think a LCR or the Bersa
    would work ok, the LCR is lighter and would work the best for me.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    I have a SmartCarry 'crotch' holster. It's fairly comfortable, but hot in the summer, and a little tricky in a public restroom, if you can't go into a stall. It's strictly deep concealment - no fast draw - and forget it if you're sitting down. Still, it's quite easy to conceal my Kahr K-40, or even my XD45 Compact. Also, for those gatherings where everybody wants to hug, you're good to go (I hope).

I have worn a Kangaroo, and carried the Kahr or S&W 642, underneath a loose fitting shirt. The grip bulges a bit, but you can position it behind your shirt pocket and stick your cell phone in the pocket, and nobody notices.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    for those gatherings where everybody wants to hug, you're good to go (I hope).

I dunno, you get to huggin' females you might be makin' quite the impression... :jester:
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    I dunno, you get to huggin' females you might be makin' quite the impression... :jester:

I don't try to hunch them, these days. :tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member

Small 40 semiauto in the pocket
    There's your answer :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I carry at church, and I use the crossbreed supertuck. I haven't printed so far as I know, and it's comfortable even with the shirt tucked in. Sometimes I wear my suit jacket, sometimes not. If not, I often wear a solid color shirt to diffuse the profile a bit (blue, maroon, green, sometimes purple), and that works well. I think you've said before that you have the same (or something very similar) holster, so it's curious to me that you have problems in the Florida sun.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    The problem is that with almost all of my "good" clothes, the clips are visible under the belt, and I don't want someone to ask what they're all about.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    If I have to wear dress-type slacks, even if it's with a polo shirt, I'll throw a sport jacket on...solves all those bulgey-type problems
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yeah... a jacket at the event would have had folks thinking I was the preacher, groom, or male member of the wedding party. Those were literally the only guys wearing jackets. The only guy I can remember wearing a tie was the bride's step-dad (aside from wedding party.)

Edited to add: we were specifically instructed NOT to wear a jacket for this.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    If I have to wear dress-type slacks, even if it's with a polo shirt, I'll throw a sport jacket on...solves all those bulgey-type problems
    That would work well, I've never had a sports coat, however. Maybe time to get one.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    Edited to add: we were specifically instructed NOT to wear a jacket for this.

I understand, at this point a small revolver like a S&W Bodyguard or a Ruger LCR in a pocket holster would be my recommendation...Just another reason to have a varied selection of shooters...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    My Sunday go-to-meetin' carry is usually in a Sparks Versa Max with the C-clips but for really light summer weight clothes I pull out the little Kahr with a Clipdraw clip (basically the same as the clip on your knife) comes along. I clip it over the waistband but behind my belt ... it ain't that comfortable unless you carry behind the hip a little farther than normal but it blends in better there also.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • REDDEVILREDDEVIL Member Posts: 153 Member
    I went to a wedding last month and wore my 5.11 holster shirt under a thin white dress shirt. I have left a button undone under my tie but since then I have had a button sewn on the outside and velcroe sewn between the overlap behind the button, works good and its definitely faster than ankle carry with my stomach gettin in the way
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 125 Member
    If the pants are too thin for pocket carry I go to the ankle. Not my favorite but better than nothing.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    S&W 642 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster in the right front pocket and 2-3 speedloaders in the left front pocket of wool/wool blend dress slacks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I personally dont care if Im printing or not. As long as I dont care.... its fine with me.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I simply avoid places where I have to dress up.

Is your new found spandexness allowing you to dress like a Wal-Mart shopper everywhere you go:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    The problem is that with almost all of my "good" clothes, the clips are visible under the belt, and I don't want someone to ask what they're all about.

I've never had anyone ask me; I figure they just didn't notice, but that's not to say that no one ever will. Crossbreed does sell velcro clips for your type of situation - had you considered those?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    I figure just use a fannypac, get some surgical tubing, fill it with yellow liquid and cap it off on both ends,
    run it in the pac and secure the end, run the other end in your clothes and secure it, and tell everyone that comments it is a medical device and they don't want to know more.

Of course you could be couth and leave the tube empty.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I figure just use a fannypac, get some surgical tubing, fill it with yellow liquid and cap it off on both ends,
    run it in the pac and secure the end, run the other end in your clothes and secure it, and tell everyone that comments it is a medical device and they don't want to know more.

:spittingcoffee:

:rotflmao:

You have something there that would really make everyone think 180° opposite of what you really had in that pac.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NN wrote: »

I may be gray, but I'm not that old!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Seecamp .32 , or .380 if ya can find/afford one.

I've seen more Seecamps in used gun cases at decent prices than ever before. Bought mine like new , original box , 2 mags , 1 still in original package , $350 OTD.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    cpj wrote: »
    Funny as this is, you should have been there when we devised this plan... :tooth:
    I must have been a fly on the wall, I've been planning doing that for years
    Just that Clean says she won't go with me if I do.

Hey, if she won't go with me that might be good, hey.

Just think I could walk through the mall and pick out stuff for her and come home and say " you should have seen the new outfit I picked out for you, dear; too bad you did not come along to try it on because now you did not get it. I bought ammo instead".
    :yikes::angel2:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    A Guyaberra dress shirt would allow you to conceal and be dressed up. Or just get a .32 or .25 ACP pocket gun like a seecamp, or baby browning. Does size matter at a wedding? ;)

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    We could call it the group "W" bench
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Or you could add a few bits of brown goo to the liquid and have the whole bench at the park to yourself :tooth:

Or, you could pull the prank that got me and a couple of buddies permanently banned from a restaurant near the Tennessee Tech campus. My friend filled a 2-quart ziplock bag with chunky vegetable soup, and tucked it into his shirt near the collar. The three of us went into the restaurant, took our seats, and the guy with the baggie started making retching noises. Then he bent over the table, grabbed his chest with both hands, and suddenly, the table top is covered with chunky soup. People are already heading for the door, but what really started the stampede was when the other two of us started grabbing veggie chunks off the table and eating them!

College students- - - - -what a bunch of jerks!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Or, you could pull the prank that got me and a couple of buddies permanently banned from a restaurant near the Tennessee Tech campus. My friend filled a 2-quart ziplock bag with chunky vegetable soup, and tucked it into his shirt near the collar. The three of us went into the restaurant, took our seats, and the guy with the baggie started making retching noises. Then he bent over the table, grabbed his chest with both hands, and suddenly, the table top is covered with chunky soup. People are already heading for the door, but what really started the stampede was when the other two of us started grabbing veggie chunks off the table and eating them!

College students- - - - -what a bunch of jerks!
    Jerry

Hey, it worked for Duvall in "The Great Santini" :vomit::tooth:
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    My preference for carry is a H&K USPc in a Don Hume Belt slide holster.

I have always found a sport coat to be a more than adequate cover garment.
    If you are attending a dress up affair, a sport coat or suit would certainly be appropriate and shouldn't look out of place, or draw undue scrutiny. Was it that big a concern that some might consider you part of the wedding party?
    The most plausible chance to be "made" would be receiving a hug from someone. I would recommend keeping your arms low and attempting to direct the ladies arms up toward your neck.

As far as printing the outline of your "Roscoe" is concerned, probably anyone who noticed anything wouldn't know what they were seeing or care. Anyone who did know what they saw (if you were legal) shouldn't care.

As I have said before, people tend to over-engineer concealed carry.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: