Home Main Category Hunting

Anyone found a tick repellent that works?

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 479 Member
Summer scouting and hiking are not as comfortable as they once were. I got two ticks right around our camp and I had applied a repellent that was supposed to repel everything but flying pigs. Just wearing long pants and long sleeves is not enough. Here in Pa the past winter was mild and so the white footed mouse that is a tick carrier did not have the usual dying off. So the ticks seem to be everywhere. Any experience that works?
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,953 Senior Member
    Just deet and checking every couple hrs or more.
    The tick has to be attached 24 hrs to transmit Lyme disease.
    But, permethrin used as directed on the can is better than deet and kills ticks.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,139 Senior Member
    I was asking the same question several weeks ago.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?6094-Tick-repelant

I got a couple of cans of the Repel that was recommended and so far it seems to be working. I've been to that same infested range a couple of times with no hitchhikers coming home with me.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,494 Senior Member
    If you pretreat your clothes with a light mist of Permethrin (~0.5%) and then let dry before putting them on and then treat your skin with DEET (~35%), such as, Repel Sportman Max 40 (40% DEET) or Repel 100 (98.11% DEET). This combo works pretty good, but you'll still have to check from time to time to be sure.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I could send you a picture of my ex to post at the range. The ticks, groundhogs, and buzzards would all probably leave, and the weeds would wither. Any freight trains in the area would take dirt roads, as well!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Repel Permanone. Works great.

Always worth repeating, DON'T spray on your skin. Only on clothes and let dry before wearing...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,197 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Repel Permanone. Works great.
    They have apparently changed the name of it
    http://www.repel.com/Products-and-Solutions/Campsite/Clothing-Gear.aspx

I looked at the MSDS and it's still 0.5% Permethrin
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I could send you a picture of my ex to post at the range. The ticks, groundhogs, and buzzards would all probably leave, and the weeds would wither. Any freight trains in the area would take dirt roads, as well!
    Jerry

Teach again you crack me up:spittingcoffee: Your post matches my two ex's exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    Of late, I've been using the spray I use on the horses....Country Vet CV-80D... - you get a large can of the stuff for $10.00 - $12.00 bucks...if you're not spraying horses it should last you for a couple of tick seasons.... I spray down my boots and pants legs and the tick problem is gone... again...don't use this on your skin...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Reminds me of my first wife. I used to take her squirrel hunting with me. When we spotted a squirrel, she would just look up, and grin at it, and it would fall out of the tree dead. I had to quit taking her with me though, she was tearing them up too bad...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I am originally from NC and every summer that I spent there I was always searching for ticks on me after being outdoors. The Deet works good, or at least as good as anything else on the market. Not to change the subject but, I found that by drinking Tonic water on a regular basis in the summer will help repel mosquitoes. The tonic water has quinine in it and IIRC quinine was used to treat malaria at one time.... Get enough quinine in ya bloodstream and the mosquitos will not bite ya.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Long before the discovery of deet or permetherin, we used powdered sulpher, ( the yellow kind ). We got it at an olde time drug store or feed store. You just dusted it aroung yor ankles, waist and collar. It was cheap, oder free and it worked.........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    All the above will work. One thing I do for warm weather bow hunting is fill a Crown Royal cloth bag about half full with Sevin dust and beat it about my boots and legs. Seems to work and not smelly.

I don't recommend using my exwife though. I mean you can if you want to. But you'll never go anywhere. She likes to watch those cooking shows like I like to watch shows about space travel. Because I know it's something I'll never do.
    And what ever you do, don't kiss her. Unless you want an ice cream headache.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,494 Senior Member
    All the above will work. One thing I do for warm weather bow hunting is fill a Crown Royal cloth bag about half full with Sevin dust and beat it about my boots and legs. Seems to work and not smelly.

I don't recommend using my exwife though. I mean you can if you want to. But you'll never go anywhere. She likes to watch those cooking shows like I like to watch shows about space travel. Because I know it's something I'll never do.
    And what ever you do, don't kiss her. Unless you want an ice cream headache.

How do you beat your exwife about your boots and legs? :confused:?????

I'd rather just open a bottle of Crown Royal and a 1/4 of the way down I just won't care about the ticks anymore.
    :jester:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    Back in the '70's, before the fire ants started thinning them out, I was getting beaucoups of ticks every day, while doing land surveying. I had so many tick bites one time that I developed a high fever - not tick fever - just a fever from too many insect bites (according to my doctor). I tried everything, with widely varying results. What I finally settled on was spraying my boot and lower pants leg with WD - 40 and dusting over it with Sevin dust. It wasn't a cure-all, but it did slow them down to a manageable level.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    gasdg wrote: »
    I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and intelligent commentary on this subject. Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong.

He certainly does have a nice' turn of phrase'. Almost sounds like he is commenting on those 'Left of centre' for want of a better term...................

However, its time for the Spam Hunter Corps unofficial theme song................( Maybe we should vote on what it should be, but in the meantime, this will suffice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....