New Ruger

2»

Replies

• ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Here is an email I got from Mike Fifer, CEO of Ruger concerning my question about the reason they dropped the #1 Standard model.

from Mike Fifer [email protected]
    to "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    date Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    subject Re: Email our CEO - Comment Submission
    Important mainly because it was sent directly to you.

hide details May 5

Dear Mr. Price,

Your comments are important to us, hence this venue.

If you want a #1 Standard, you might want to check with Lipseys, whom I believe has a variety of calibers in stock.

We dropped the rifle from our catalog offerings because the volume – or lack thereof – dictated that change. We have found, however, that the old adage, "absence makes the heart grow fonder," works for items we remove from the catalog. After they stay out for a few years, it can be worth bringing them back for a limited engagement. All the fence-sitters get one more chance to buy the firearm they were thinking so hard about but never taking action on. So you might see the #1 Standard again.

Best regards,
    Mike Fifer

Ain't that a teaser. Now if they would bring back a limited run of #3's in .45-70 and .22 Hornet!!!
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,037 Senior Member
    I agree with WHY? In a carbine like the .44 Mag, I can see it but wouldn't buy it. It's not got enough range to require a rifle as a platform. And at least in my state, it's not legal for deer. Almost any centerfire rifle cartridge is superior to it. And .357 ammo ain't cheap.

I bet you won't see this one for long, so if you're a collector, buy one.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    It begs the question, "Why?"

:down:

I ask the same of most any pistol-caliber carbine. At least in this case one can answer, "Because it's not a stinking lever action."

Now if they'd done it in .357 Maximum, I'd consider playing, though they're already doing the .358 Winchester.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Exactly. It won't do anything their .44 won't. Seems kinda pointless unless you're just bound and determined to have a matching set (pistol/rifle) that shoot the same caliber and don't want a .44.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    It looks nice, but my Marlin 1894 in .357 is a ton of fun, holds 10 rounds, and is more accurate than my 30-30 at 100 yards. The Ruger just doesn't appeal to me.
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    A 357 mag bolt gun. I have to go with, WHY?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Love my 77/44. Light, quick on target, balances just right to carry with one hand. I mean look at it.
    DSC00466.jpg
    I could see having one in .357 if I didnt have a better one already. Besides 77/357 just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Why not?

Some states have some funky restrictions on firearms. I think.....Ohio?....has some rule that you can only use straight walled pistol cartridges in a rifle. Or something like that.

I think it looks like a fun lil plinker. Probably serve well for small southern deer and maybe smaller hogs?
    In Ohio, there is no rifle hunting except for muzzleloader and shotgun season. Ohio sucks.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I hate you.

I was hoping you would see my post. I want shoot that .44 mosin really bad.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    I think it may be Indiana that allows straight wall handgun calibers for deer hunting. Sako

From north central Indiana, you've got it right! Can't figure the logic, and the regulations actually specify a minimum and a maximum length for the cartridges - thus, .38 Special is too short, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt are all acceptable, however straight-walled rounds like .45-70 or .444 Marlin are, like the .38 Special, unlawful.

Apparently (new-ish to the state, still getting the full rundown on the regs) bottleneck cartridges are allowed, as long as they are minimum .35 caliber for bullet size and within the minimum/maximum requirements. Heard tell of a few guys in my area wildcatting one of the "super-short" magnum cartridges by necking it out to a .358 bullet, falling within all the required parameters for a hunting round.

BTW, it's great to be back on the best lil' spot on the Web... missed you guys.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    There are a couple 35 wssm wildcats that were developed specifically for your hunting "situation" with regards to regulations. They're actually quite potent, basically equals out to a 358 Win, sometimes a little more oomph depending on which cat it is. I think the difference between them was just a matter of length.

I would buy, even possibly at 700$, this rifle in 500 S&W! Not sure how strong that action is, but I could see the 460 never being considered because it runs at much higher pressure then other pistol cartridges. The 500 runs lower, and would be a HOOT in that platform! Probably a bit brutal on the recoil, but, I'd still be all over it.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
2»