Home Main Category General Firearms

Got another pocket rocket!

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
This one's a little bigger than the AMT Backup, and it doesn't have quite the bite, but it's still better than a sharp stick. With a good Hornady XTP handload, this one could definitely give a scumbag a bad day!

100_34451.JPG

100_3449.JPG

It's a Polish P-64 in 9X18 Makarov, 6+1 shot, double action first shot, single action for the rest. It has a hammer drop safety, and it could be carried condition one (cocked and locked) but the safety doesn't have much of a detent in the middle position. I think I'd rather CCW with the hammer down on a loaded round, and the safety off. The double action pull is a bit stiff, but I believe there's a lighter hammer spring available. Classic Arms sent 2 magazines and a cleaning rod/takedown tool with it, plus a pretty decent leather holster. There's a little holster wear on the bluing, but the finish is 90% +. Cost was just over $200.00, shipping and all. Recoil with 90 grain FMJ is brisk, but controllable, and it shoots where it looks. The sights are tiny, but I was able to print a hand-sized group at about 10 yards with a 2-handed isoceles stance. I nailed a clay target with the first shot, double action. Definitely "Minute-of-BG!"
Jerry

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Nice addition to the arsenal, can you load for it ???
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, I bought brass and bullets for my CZ-82, and this one uses the same ammo. Hornady makes a good XTP hollowpoint for the Makarov round, which uses an oddball diameter bullet, .360", I believe.
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,128 Senior Member
    Nice----is the picture taken in the new trailer and gun factory?
    Nope, just a piece of OSB board on the dining room table. The trailer is still waiting on construction of a foundation before it gets finished out into a shop. I've got a buyer for the dual axle assembly once it's removed from the rig.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Yep. That 9x18 would just ruin somebody's day for sure. Good looking little pistol, and it seems to be accurate, too. Should serve you well!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Cool looking little pistol. I keep looking for one of those but local prices are stupid.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Sweet! And that flap holster is too cool!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    farm boy wrote: »
    Cool looking little pistol. I keep looking for one of those but local prices are stupid.

Get yourself a C&R license- - - - -it's actually a license to go broke, but in a fun way!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks good. I'm still debating ordering one. Like you, I also have the CZ 82 and reload for it. The Hornady XTP bullets are 95 grain (.365 dia ), product # 36500 and feed and function fine in my CZ 82 9X18. I used Unique powder with good results.

I think I ordered from Graf & Sons $4.95 S&H no matter the weight. The little 64 would make a good little pocket puppy, the CZ 82 is too big to slide into a front pants pocket unnoticed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=7248&categoryString=9315***652***19785***9015***

IMG00035-20110430-1919.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Also, I saw on YouTube (grain of salt....) where one poster said in his video the P-64 was designed for lighter bullets (said the Polish used 70/71 grainers) about the same weight as the .32 ACP @ 1000 FPS for the little pistol. And the DA pull was so hard because of hard primers on the ammo they used, same as for SMGs, which doesn't make total sense to me. What about after the first DA trigger pull, then it goes into a much lighter SA mode, correct? And why would they use lighter weight bullets in an SMG or different than the Russians back in the Soviet Bloc days????????????????????????

Anyway, they say a lot with their "How to" YouTube videos, some is pure malarkey/speculation they use to explain away gun stuff they can't figure out.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I passed on one of those a couple years ago because the trigger was ridiculously stiff. But if you know how to solve that without it becoming rocket science (to the casual tinkerer), I would still kinda like to have one.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :drool2::cool2: Nice looking little gun ya got there Teach,,, I bet thats a fun one to shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like that holster that came with that gun!!!:up:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Been wanting to get them. Classic does have my C&R on file too. Might give'em a shout. Wolff does have a spring kit to greatly help the heavy D/A pull.
    The hammer spring is ridiculously easy to change, and it's the cause of the stiff DA trigger pull. After taking the grips off (one screw holds both of them on) the hammer spring is in a slot in the backstrap, and it is retained by the magazine latch. Drift out one pin, and the mag latch, spring, and hammer strut come out. It's also easy to field strip, just pull down on the front of the trigger guard, and it can be moved to one side slightly to stay disengaged. Pull the slide back, lift up a little, and slip the slide forward off the barrel. Until I get the correct spring, I simply cut one coil off (Yep, I know that's the wrong way!) and filed the end of the spring flat again. It makes a noticeable reduction in trigger pull and hasn't affected the reliability so far. The SA trigger pull is very light, to the point I fired a couple of shots before the sights were properly aligned. This one reinforces the advice "finger off the trigger until ready to shoot" when it's in SA mode. There is a fairly long takeup of slack in SA, so it's not a hair trigger by any means. The letoff point is just a little uncertain. This one's a "point and pull" kind of action, not a crisp letoff. A couple of boxes of ammo downrange should allow a shooter to place his SA shots very accurately, IMHO.
    Jerry
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach, I didn't know you were going to show everyone my birthday present four months in advance?????
    Dagnabbit, Jerry! Stop it! You're enabling me too much!:rotflmao: I just ordered one from J&G Sales. Should be here early next week. Looks like that will be a nice little pistol to drop into a pants pocket in a pocket holster, and a fun shooter to boot. You're right about something else, too; that C&R license can be a huge drain on the gun fund!
    ― Douglas Adams
    Always glad to help, Mike! I'm about to take my new SIL to the firing range and show her the difference between this one and the Lorcin .25 she's packing now. I'm really not comfortable with her choice of that one for a SD gun, but she made that decision long before she married my brother!
    Jerry
    tennmike wrote: »
    Dagnabbit, Jerry! Stop it! You're enabling me too much!:rotflmao: I just ordered one from J&G Sales. Should be here early next week. Looks like that will be a nice little pistol to drop into a pants pocket in a pocket holster, and a fun shooter to boot. You're right about something else, too; that C&R license can be a huge drain on the gun fund!

Tell me about it.............I'd plum forgot the Pollack Pocket Puppy until Teach posted a pic on here:tooth::guns:
    I just ordered some tune-up items from Wolff. They've got a 3-spring kit for the hammer that should give me some options on the trigger pull weight, and a couple of increased-weight recoil springs in case I want to build up a SD load with those Hornady XTP's. Sounds like fun!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    I've been wanting one of those for a while now. I remember when they were less than a hundred bucks, and ammo was plentiful.

I thought they were a bit more powerful than a .380.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Be sure to give a range report on the new springs. If they work out good for you, I'll order a set of Wolff springs, too. They make good stuff!
    ― Douglas Adams
    The 9X18 sort of splits the difference between the .380 (9X17) and the 9MM (9X19). With some careful handloading, I think there would be a considerable improvement over the .380's performance. The Hornady XTP's work great in my CZ-82, so there's no real reason to suspect they wouldn't be a good choice for the P-64. The slightly shorter barrel might drop the velocity a little but there's still enough punch left to pe a pretty effective close-up self-defense round. My Hornady manual lists four powders that max out at 975 FPS with the 95 grain XTP from a 3.7" barrel. The P-64 probably won't make quite that speed, but it's not something I'd want somebody shooting at me!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    They're basically a PP copy, I heard. My friend had one, but sold it unfortunately to someone other than me. I think I heard you could convert them to .380 which i don't know why would, but there it is.

The early ones from Russia had a booklet with them that basically said their main purpose was to execute deserters, those who fled the battle scene. I remember reading this when they first reached these shores.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I've been thinking about getting one of those. I might get one for myself and a CZ82 for the wife.
    Gene L wrote: »
    They're basically a PP copy, I heard. My friend had one, but sold it unfortunately to someone other than me. I think I heard you could convert them to .380 which i don't know why would, but there it is.

The early ones from Russia had a booklet with them that basically said their main purpose was to execute deserters, those who fled the battle scene. I remember reading this when they first reached these shores.

You must be thinking of the 7.62X25 Tokerov pistols (also same ammo used in ppsh SMGs in WWII) which was replaced by the 9X18 Makarov. Russia never made the P-64, a Polish design. But it fires the same commie caliber 9X18 MAK ammo.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Great little pistols! I bought one last year and put the spring kit in it. Fun to shoot, and I was amazed at the accuracy with the teeny tiny sights. I reccomend that everybody get one. ( enable, enable, enable, enable, enable)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    The brown truck of happiness arrived this afternoon bearing gifts! Going to buy some ammo tomorrow and try it out. I think I'm going to like the P64.
    004-7.jpg
    003-5.jpg
    ― Douglas Adams
    Here's a link you'll need pretty soon:
    http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=49

I ordered the two heavier-strength recoil springs and the 3-spring hammer kit. That should let me tailor the gun's response to a handload and adjust the trigger pull to suit my stiff old fingers!
    Jerry
    I reckon I'll be ordering that kit. The double action pull is pretty stiff!
    ― Douglas Adams
    I just ordered 200 pcs of brass (Starline) for my P-64 (I ordered from Classic Arms) from Graf & Sons. I have some brass, but need more. Originally I bought 500 rounds of S&B 9X18 MAK ammo with the idy to shoot it and reload the brass for my CZ 82. Well I may have 100/150 , but I've lost more of that brass than any other on the range. When others are shooting 9mm and .380, it gets all mixed up, easily. One range I went to off post had so much brass on the ground it was like walking on a gravel road made of fired brass! Impossible to find anything.

Anyhow, I have some factory S&B left, Hornady XTPs and a couple boxes of Speer FMJs to reload. Now I will have two pistols (CZ 82/ P-64) chambered in the same caliber and may even get a "Real" MAK pistol someday, I need to be ready. I still have to order all the spring kits you guys recommended, but will soon.