Home Main Category Hunting

Couldnt sleep last night......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,238 Senior Member
...........and its the last weekend of our Duck season so seeing how its 4am I decided not to fight it and got up, got dressed and am heading up to put the boat in. Temp outside is 1 deg of frost.

Should have rung Bloodhound last night and I dont think his wife would like me to ring at 4.15am so I guess I will head out solo. Weather is still, calm and foggy....should make for an interesting shoot..............................if I can find my way to 'The Spot' in the dark and with zero visibility.

Will post up when I get back.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    Since I'm too late to wish you good luck, I won't even bother to post at this time.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    alright well it's been about 12+ hours. How'd it go?

Ah NM misread time stamp.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,953 Senior Member
    Well, no wounder your could not sleep, I was outside then----it was broad daylight.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Just got back. Got to the spot ok despite the fog but it was cold enough to make brass monkeys shiver. Weather turned out dead calm, not even a ripple on the harbour. One mallard drake made the mistake of coming too close and ended up coming back to my place for dinner.

Marks son Nick ( who is a commercial fisherman) had just set his flounder nets so I stayed and talked to Mark ( and cut firewood for him) until the tide was low and then went out and helped Nick overrun his nets then pick them up. We ended up with about 100Kilo's of flounder ( 2 of which found their way to my place for dinner)

On the way home I stopped at the farm and saw 2 mallards with wings cupped heading for the pond. After letting them settle I stalked up and shot the drake.

Total 2 Mallard drakes, 2 Flounder, a stack of firewood for Mark and an enjoyable afternoon picking up nets.

Going to head back up again tomorrow.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,197 Senior Member
    Not a "great" day from a hunting perspective, but sounds like a darned good day :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.