Home Main Category General Firearms

Scope help. Your opinions please.

farm boyfarm boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,001 Senior Member
I got the chance to do some target shooting out to 500 yards last weekend. I had a great time but realized I need better glass in a bad way. The two rifles I need your help with are a Remington 788 in .243 and a Handi Rifle in .223. The .223 has a HUGE 2-10X56, the scope is just to heavy and way to tall for the little rifle. The 788 has no scope currently.
I ordered a Nikon Monarch 3-12X42SF but im not sure which rifle will be its home. I think it will go on the .243 until I decide what other scope I want. I dont see myself target shooting the .243 a whole lot because of the sporter barrel. The .223 really lives up to its name in being handy.
What rifle would you put the Nikon Monarch on? What scope would you choose for the other rifle?
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Are you wanting a 1" tube or a 30mm tube scope?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Depends a lot on what you plan to do with them.

As I recall, factory 788 barrels were fairly heavy - at least for a barrel that you would still call a "sporter". While it's a bit light for a high-volume prairie dog or target gun, it is an ideal coyote rifle, and is perfectly suitable for deer if you know the round's limitations. The 3-12x42 is perfect for that gun - the low end gives a large field of view for close range, and the high end is great for long range on medium-sized targets.

Since the .223 is suitable for smaller targets, I'd be looking at scopes that have a top end of 14-20X. I like the Weaver V-series 4-16x42 as a reasonable cost varmint scope.

As for the 2-10x56, take it with you on your evening walks. Objectives that size are great for clubbing muggers with.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A 42MM objective lens is still pretty big, especially on a somewhat compact rifle action like a 788. It would probably look more at home than it would on a Handi-Rifle, though. The Leupold 3X9X40 that I put on the Mauser I just built would work pretty well on that one.
    Jerry
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    1" tube the 30mm's I've had are just to heavy. The 788 is my back up deer rifle or whatever I need it to be. I like your idea for my old scope.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Teach this is what my 788 looked like before.
    DSC00460.jpg
    I think a 42mm objective wont be to bad.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Teach this is what my 788 looked like before.
    DSC00460.jpg
    I think a 42mm objective wont be to bad.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good grief, Charlie Brown! That thing's huge!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Good grief, Charlie Brown! That thing's huge!
    Jerry

That's what I wish she said.
    Yeah it lives on my LR-308 now, much better fit. Just as bad is the .223.
    Picture213.jpg
    I really thought I knew something back when I bought those scopes.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Why do ya need a different scope? If ya like the Nikon , why not just get the same scope for the other rifle?

I liked how the Weaver V-16 worked on my Savage 10FP , so I put the same thing on my DPMS LR-308.
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Why do ya need a different scope? If ya like the Nikon , why not just get the same scope for the other rifle?

I liked how the Weaver V-16 worked on my Savage 10FP , so I put the same thing on my DPMS LR-308.

That's a good question.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Mkk nailed it. I have that same Nikon on a 243, and love it. I plan on putting that same scope on several rifles.

What you might change, to streamline things a bit , is your ring height. Those puppies are WAY too tall, especially if you're going down to a 42mm objective. I have that same scope mounted in medium Talley's, looks great.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Mkk nailed it. I have that same Nikon on a 243, and love it. I plan on putting that same scope on several rifles.

What you might change, to streamline things a bit , is your ring height. Those puppies are WAY too tall, especially if you're going down to a 42mm objective. I have that same scope mounted in medium Talley's, looks great.

Both those scopes are 30mm tubes so new rings are in order anyway.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    As far as looks, it is like picking the car you think looks good even if your next door neighbor thinks it is ugly. Put on the scope you like, that you think will meet your expectations. I like light bright scopes because I find myself in hunting situations with low light and having to spot and stalk game from time to time. All I want is an extension of me so when I throw up it all feels natural, and everything works together for a smooth transition from the carry position to the shoulder to compliment the moment I pull the trigger.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    2 of my favorite hunting scopes that I own are the 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster and the 3-10x40 Leupold VX3. They aren't the Hubble and not the highest mag but for my hunting and their size they seem to fit the best. My kid has a 6-18x40 Buckmaster on his No 1 that is nice for the range but for hunting I like a lower mag in the 3 to 4 range but at the range he is getting great results. In fact when his results aren't up to his standards now it seems to be my reloading that is the problem ... yeah I told him if he don't like 'em he can pay for factory or start rolling his own since he's now old enough (to reload hat is).

As to your scopes that Nikon is sweet and which ever rifle you mount it on will probably keep it. That Hubble 56mm scope seems a little low mag for what you want so if you can find somebody who wants it ... use the money toward another Monarch like maybe the 5-20x44 for your 500 yard work.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Farm Boy, I have a H&R Handi, heavy barrel in .204Ruger, Love loading and shooting it....Go to my album for a pic...
    Thanks Paul, I like that scope. I think that may be just what I was looking for.
    Dad 5-31-13