Defense against black bear

2»

Replies

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    She came to visit, and she shot about everything I have. She passed on the .41 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .40 Glock, and settled on a model 15 Smith. I gave he a couple of boxes of mild SWC target ammo, and a dozen 158 grain SWC bullets,cast out of pure linotype, over 18 grains of H-110, to carry on her hikes. This is not the solution I would recomend, but 100% better than nothing. I also reminded her never to run away from a bear, because it is the nature of preditors to persue anything that runs from them. I told her to stand her ground, spread her arms, yell at th bear, and make herself look as large a possible. Then, if the bear approaches her, in a threatening manner, to shoot until you run out of bullets........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    How about one of the the recently-introduced "Mare's Leg" .30-30 setups?

thumbnail.aspx?q=5013511629767137&id=5aa69c83d692eb04b6329afaa272dc15

Jerry

I fired one of those things in .45 Colt , and I must say it's not a very easy gun to shoot accurately and actually kinda ackward to handle in general.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    and a dozen 158 grain SWC bullets,cast out of pure linotype, over 18 grains of H-110, to carry on her hikes.
    I really hope that's a typo. The recipe books I have all list 16.7 grains of H110 as the max for a 158 gr. bullet, and that's for jacketed in a .357. Lead usually has a lower max. In a .38 Special case, well, I can't even find load data for H110/296 for one of those...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    Sounds like she is far better off now
    I've had " lots" of bear encounters what I do is whistle at them let them know exactly what/and where I am.
    I've called several in with turkey calls.....a hair raising experience....LOL
    I stand my ground
    I have them decide their course of action...which has always been avoidance.
    Good catch. Yes it is a typo. It should have read 15 grains of H-110. Yes, I know that this is a .357 mag load for a jacketed bullet. Linotype bullets with gas checks do not lead the barrel. The potental to lead the barrel is the only reason lead bullets are typically loaded to slower velocities. Is the model 15 strong enough for this load? I think so, it is identical to a model 66, except for the length of the cylinder. Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    But you're cramming 15 grains of powder into a smaller case. And the max load for a lead bullet is only 14.5 grains in a .357 case according to my Lee manual. You're half a grain over in a smaller space.
    Overkill is underrated.
    My Speer manuel #12 shows a max load of 15.5 grains of H-110. See page 520. I have shot this load many times and there are no signs of excess pressure, no flattened primers, no enlarged primer pockets, no shiny spots and no problem ejecting empties. The original .357 mag loads were developed using 38 special cases, just like .44 mag loads were developed using 44 special brass. The longer cases of both were made so that you could not use them in older guns that may not have tempered metal frames..........Robin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    If you're loading .38 Special brass to .357 numbers, even if you're shooting them in a .357, you're playing with fire. The extra volume in the .357 case has a huge effect on chamber pressure. It's the same situation as if you were seating the bullet 1/8" deeper than normal in a .357 case, which I don't think anyone with good sense would do. Straight-wall cases simply don't show any of the usual pressure signs we're acustomed to seeing in boittleneck rifle cases - - - -the first sign that the pressure is out of sight can be a blown-up gun!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    Yes, that. Over-loading a .38 Special doesn't minimize the recoil. Might as well pack a .357.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • 4myrights4myrights New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm all for handguns, but for her - bear mace would be the best deterrent. It's proven to be much more effective to a charging grizzly than some poor dude trying to get off a couple of strategic rounds while his eyeballs are shaking too hard to focus.
  • 4myrights4myrights New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm all for handguns, but for her - bear mace would be the best deterrent. It's proven to be much more effective to a charging grizzly than some poor dude trying to get off a couple of strategic rounds while his eyeballs are shaking too hard to focus.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    4myrights wrote: »
    You forgot the bells......they go great with pepper sented bear scat..........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
2»