Load out vest gets an update.

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,458 Senior Member
A while back I was given a (man I hate to use this term) "tactical vest." Not something I could see myself buying, but for free I said sure. I had a few MOLLE accessories, so I threw something together to get the feel for it. It didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, so it sat in my garage for a while. I never made it as far as weaving the pieces together correctly as I was never able to get it "right" for me.....

Well, today I got a call from a friend who had a holster for an Beretta 92 that he no longer had a gun for. I had bought my pops a 92 for his 50th birthday, and I figured he could use another holster. When I got there, he had a few things he thought I would like including a sweet backpack. Called it even for a case of beer, and I was off with my plunder. There was a Serpa holster for dad's Beretta, and a few other goodies including a thigh rig for a full sized pistol (universal fit, lots and lots of velcro. Very well made at that) I gave dad his holster, and started figuring out a use for this otherwise worthless thigh rig. Well, there was MOLLE all over it, so it made me think to revisit the vest idea. Originally I entertained the idea of a bedside companion that I could use with any of my bedside candidates. Here is what I started with, unorganized chaos that had absolutely no place in the HD role. In fact, it was damn near going on craigslist.

83bdff3b.jpg

After a little tinkering, lots of cursing, and a little luck, I got the holster configured exactly the way I wanted it. I gotta admit, the thing is almost to versatile for its own good. Able to be adapted to right or left hand use, and handle a pretty wide range of pistol sizes. the thigh strap was the first thing to go. I then put my focus on the vest, stripping it and starting from scratch. Some thought went into layout, and several trial and errors getting placement on the vest where I wanted it. I tried to keep weight down, but still wanted to keep versatility. My scope was something that could be used for bumps in the night, but could also be used for end of the world apocalypse, zombie epidemic, and/or a real life red dawn. I found a comfortable median, and for the time being, I think I am close to happy. The fact that it now holsters a gun makes it perfect as the ability to have a quick backup when otherwise in my pajamas. Not that I plan on needing more than a long gun (rather that be my AR or shotgun) but it does give me a quick available option should there be a not so easily fixable problem. With this current setup, I have at my disposal a Para Ordnance P13 with 4 spare mags (60 rounds of .45acp), 150 rounds of 223, and 12 OO buckshot shells. Without further ado, here is my current setup:

2012-06-24_21-03-36_417.jpg

Here is what I learned:
1. In a hurry, the zipper is worthless. There are two plastic clips that are quick and easy, and do the job good enough.
2. There is some added bulk, I need to train with this. I have a small house, lots of close quarters, but with my profession, I am used being dressed in bulky attire.
3. The weight isn't as bad as I thought. If I was in this thing all day, it would take a toll, but having the bulk of the weight close, it isn't that bad. Once again, this is coming from a person who is used to working in hot conditions with heavy bulky attire.
4. With MOLLE stuff, needle nose are your friends.
5. Don't completely weave ANYTHING till you are almost fairly certain it is where you want it.

I have a few things left, I am thinking about adding to the rear. Mostly medical equipment, once again, this kit isn't specifically for HD. Plus, after the threat is neutralized there is always the chance I might need that kind of stuff for myself or God forbid my family. Having it close by isn't a bad thing. If I do this, it will be limited, mostly stuff good for plugging leaky holes. Something I will try, might like it, or might stay minimalist. That is what is so sweet about this stuff. It is kinda like legos. All in all, I think it is a good investment seeing how I don't have anything tied up in the "software" side of it. Sorry for the long read, guess I am more bored than I thought. Any suggestions are more than welcome!
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Aren't you going to put some 410 shells in you vest pocket? Maybe an entire 410 tactical shotgun would fit since they are so small and light. Of course backup would then have to be a Judge.

My problem with a setup like that is I'd forget what went where and end up:silly:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    I like the idea of these vests, but I have not spent the time to mess with one, free( or almost) is good when you need some time to think about it:up:. Have you had to do a rescue run on anyone thay has been stabbed or shot while wearing one of these vest all decked out? If so, did the individual end up with extra bits and pieces from the contents of the vest pocket along with the knife or bullet? Did that excessively complicate a bad situation? Do you think the pocket contents offer some level of protection?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member

My problem with a setup like that is I'd forget what went where and end up:silly:

Ahhhh, but my setup is simple. Simple enough that my simple mind can use it. Pistol is on the left side along with spare pistol mags. This way I can draw with my right hand, and reload with my left. Rifle mags are on the right side (Rifle and Right, both start with R's) and I also go for reloads with my left hand, mags pointed down and oriented to make the swaps instinctive to how they need to be inserted into the well. The shotgun ammo is also on the right side, but there is no solid logic there other than that is where I had an open spot. Easy enough to get to, so yeah, it works.
    It is all about practicing with what you got. Not everything is for everyone, that's why you have to work with what works for you. Spent a little time in the dark getting familiar with where everything is, and so far, so good. Might set the alarm for 3 this morning to see how well I can do it with the cobwebs in my haid...
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I like the idea of these vests, but I have not spent the time to mess with one, free( or almost) is good when you need some time to think about it:up:. Have you had to do a rescue run on anyone thay has been stabbed or shot while wearing one of these vest all decked out? If so, did the individual end up with extra bits and pieces from the contents of the vest pocket along with the knife or bullet? Did that excessively complicate a bad situation? Do you think the pocket contents offer some level of protection?

Can't say I have ever had a vest on while working on someone. I have had full turnout gear and an airpack while working on someone before. Same principal, extra bulk that inhibit movement and make things more difficult. At that point, it is life over limb, and while you try to minimalize dirt and junk getting in wounds, sometimes keeping the person alive at the moment is more important. I did throw a simple trauma kit together on the back, with bare essentials. Lots of 4x4 dressings, some combine dressings, lots of cling, medical tape, and trauma shears. With the kit being on my back, unless I have someone to help me, I would actually have to take this vest off to access it. Hopefully at that point the fight is over, or at a point that providing care is doable. Mostly it is there for me, as sometimes the guy that "wins" isn't left in the best shape. Nobody plans on getting hit, but if the intruder is armed, it is always a possibility. Having a few supplies close by can't be a bad idea. As for the pockets offering protection? I imagine a round hitting a loaded AR mag would slow it down some, but more than likely it would pick up more shrapnel that it started out with. That aside from the fact that live rounds are getting directly impacted an inch from my body....
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Ahhhh, but my setup is simple. Simple enough that my simple mind can use it. Pistol is on the left side along with spare pistol mags. This way I can draw with my right hand, and reload with my left. Rifle mags are on the right side (Rifle and Right, both start with R's) and I also go for reloads with my left hand, mags pointed down and oriented to make the swaps instinctive to how they need to be inserted into the well. The shotgun ammo is also on the right side, but there is no solid logic there other than that is where I had an open spot. Easy enough to get to, so yeah, it works.
    It is all about practicing with what you got. Not everything is for everyone, that's why you have to work with what works for you. Spent a little time in the dark getting familiar with where everything is, and so far, so good. Might set the alarm for 3 this morning to see how well I can do it with the cobwebs in my haid...

Wait, I'm confused. Lifle begin with L so go left side. But can go light side too. Levolveh can go both side too.:uhm::yikes::silly:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776