Home Main Category Clubhouse

Lost a Dear Friend. RIP Drew

1235»

Replies

• ADRidge's GirlADRidge's Girl Member Posts: 30 Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Last weekend I went shooting where I took Drew when he was out here. I took a walk down to the handgun side of the range to look at the S&W .500 bullet hole that Drew put in the roof when he double tapped that 500. I remember that day like it was yesterday. He liked his pistols but didn't really care for the big bore revolvers. I am grateful for that day I spent with Drew. I had a really good time with a fine young man. When ever I go to that range I will make it a point to visit that spot and remember that day.

Hello sir,
    I smiled when I read this.. He always got a kick out of sharing that story with me and our friends. It is wonderful to know the person who that story happened with. Thank you for sharing that.
  • DrewsMomDrewsMom New Member Seguin, TxPosts: 11 New Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Last weekend I went shooting where I took Drew when he was out here. I took a walk down to the handgun side of the range to look at the S&W .500 bullet hole that Drew put in the roof when he double tapped that 500. I remember that day like it was yesterday. He liked his pistols but didn't really care for the big bore revolvers. I am grateful for that day I spent with Drew. I had a really good time with a fine young man. When ever I go to that range I will make it a point to visit that spot and remember that day.

Well, that is one story he didn't share with his mom! Thanks so much, you made me smile.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Saco, MePosts: 588 Senior Member
    Wow, somehow I missed this post. Very sorry to be late but my sincere condolensces to Sarah, Claudia and all the rest of Andrew's.... ADRidge's family and friends. It's a shocking loss. As you've clearly seen, he was a valued member here and will be missed.
    I was reading the post about toasting Dan and saw someone mention ADRidge among those we've lost. I thought it had to be a mistake at first then I was just shocked. I'm so sorry to learn of this tragedy.
    Shawn
    Shawn, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much it means to know that he was respected. He spoke to me so often about the posts on this forum.

If anyone is interested, the family has created an endowed scholarship, the Andrew Ridge Aviation Science Scholarship at Texas Lutheran University. Donations can be sent to: Texas Lutheran University, 1000 W. Court St., Seguin, TX 78155. Please specify the Andrew Ridge Aviation Scholarship Fund. TLU just started their BS in Aviation Degree to help meet the demand for commercial aviators. While they don't currently offer rotary wing certification, I know Drew would be happy to know that he has a legacy in aviation.
    Claudia
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Ma'am, I will definitely contribute.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 220 Member
    DrewsMom wrote: »
    ...Andrew Ridge Aviation Science Scholarship...
    Claudia

Outstanding.
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Ma'am, I will definitely contribute.

Thank you, sir!
  • scarfacescarface Member PittsburghPosts: 263 Member
    Wow.........I was away from the forum for about a month and come back to see this bad news. My prayers go out to all of Drew's friends and family. As a fellow aviator, it was awesome to watch Drew's progress as a professional pilot. He was so excited to land his first flying gig this year. Again, my prayers go out to all of you.

I hope there's a place way up in the sky,
    Where airmen can go when they die.
    A place where a guy can buy a cold beer,
    For a friend and a comrade, whose memory is dear.
    A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
    Nor a management type would ere be caught dead.
    Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
    Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.
    The kind of a place where a lady could go,
    And feel safe and protected by the men she would know.
    There must be a place where old airmen go,
    When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low.
    Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
    And songs about flying and dying are sung.
    Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown west before,
    And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door.
    Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
    And relate to others, "He was quite a good lad."
    And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy,
    You had not seen in years, though he taught you to fly.
    He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
    And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here,
    For this is the place where true flyers come,
    When their journey is over, and the war has been won.
    They've come here at last to be safe and alone,
    From the government clerk, and the management clone,
    Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
    Where all hours are happy, and these good ole boys,
    Can relax with a cool one, and well deserved rest,
    This is heaven my son..... You've passed your last test!"
    I really like that poem, scarface. Thank you. All the little things you guys do are helping us get through this.
    Claudia
    Oh thank you scarface, I just love that poem! It truly made me smile.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    In memory of our dearly departed friends....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1RPFBXRP4&feature=related
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member MICHIGANPosts: 783 Senior Member
    Well, I'm late to this one, but I can't believe what I'm hearing and offer my deepest prayers and sympathies to his friends and family, and to my brothers and sisters on here. I'll think of him when I see the helo lift off from the air station when I'm on patrol. He sure will be missed.
  • hisnhers1911hisnhers1911 New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    Our thoughts n prayers are with Drews friends and family. He is very missed

Nathan and Nicole
    Thank you! Nothing would honor him more.
    Thank you, Nathan & Nicole.
    Hi All,

I wanted to take a moment to share the blog I have created to celebrate the life Andrew and I shared together:
    http://our1000days.com/

My goal is to share 1000 memories from our 1000 days together on this earth, in hopes that others will get to know him the way i did, as well as giving myself a place to look back on all our memories and write about my journey moving forward. Please stop by from time to time if you would like... i will try to post daily. I hope you enjoy.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Looking forward to it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CMRCMR New Member SE. MichPosts: 5 New Member
    I am just so overwhelmed with grief at this news. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was in Dallas for some training a few yrs ago. I am just totally shook up about this, and am shaking while typing this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He was a great guy.
    CMR wrote: »
    I am just so overwhelmed with grief at this news. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was in Dallas for some training a few yrs ago. I am just totally shook up about this, and am shaking while typing this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He was a great guy.

Thankyou so much, CMR. Im so glad you guys got to meet.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    2Aman wrote: »
    http://seguingazette.com/news/article_307e75ec-b5b5-11e1-9d53-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0

Hate to post this.

Not sure if anyone knows. But ADRidge, Drew a forum member and co-worker/friend to me passed two weeks ago. I hate that I didn't put anything up sooner. The link tells how it happenned.

Thank God, Drew passed doing what he loved to do the most in life, flying in a helicopter. I remember a great guy to work and shoot with. He'll be dearly missed.

RIP Drew.

Drew was a great person as far as i knew, and he was a great forum member. I was hoping to meet him one day. He was just a great guy here on this forum. He had such a passion for what he did and really loved his flying and shooting, his family and his girl. He was just a Great American! He was one of the really good guys here. RIP Drew and prayers for you and your family and your love of this life, your girl have been sent!!! God be with you Forum brother, :angel2::angel2::angel2:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Bullgator wrote: »
    God, that's awful! I didn't realize he was so young - his life was cut way too short. :angel2:

Yeah Bullgator, he was young in years but pretty old in experiences. I wish I could have done half what he did in his short time. We all shared his experiences here for years. So sad, but I guess he's in a better place now and he went there doing what he loved.
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    John, don't regret anything about that; you helped Drew achieve his dream and live it. I remember how miserable he was in his early years here, and how flying made him a completely different, happy person.

Amen to that Larsen. You can get killed driving to a ho hum job. The main thing here is flying made what life he had enjoyable. No qualms about it, flying was a BIG HUGE chunk of Drews life and his life wouldn't have been near what it was if he didn't pursue it. He wasnt given a long time here, but this is about quality over quantity. I'm sure he had more dreams ahead, but don't we all? This was his life. Don't regret helping him pursue it. Just feel good that you helped him.
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Drew was a great person as far as i knew, and he was a great forum member. I was hoping to meet him one day. He was just a great guy here on this forum. He had such a passion for what he did and really loved his flying and shooting, his family and his girl. He was just a Great American! He was one of the really good guys here. RIP Drew and prayers for you and your family and your love of this life, your girl have been sent!!! God be with you Forum brother, :angel2::angel2::angel2:

Thanks so much, snake. I know Andrew is looking down on all of us with a HUGE smile on his face, happy to know that he is loved and respected. You've lifted me up today.
    Claudia
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I just read this post this morning and I am truly sorry for Drew's passing away, Nancy and I will pray for his family, sad indeed, what a shock.
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Amen to that Larsen. You can get killed driving to a ho hum job. The main thing here is flying made what life he had enjoyable. No qualms about it, flying was a BIG HUGE chunk of Drews life and his life wouldn't have been near what it was if he didn't pursue it. He wasnt given a long time here, but this is about quality over quantity. I'm sure he had more dreams ahead, but don't we all? This was his life. Don't regret helping him pursue it. Just feel good that you helped him.

So well put, i could not agree more. I would not have ever wanted him to be doing anything else but flying - because I have never seen anyone love something as much as he did to fly a helicopter. So few of us find that kind of love for something in life. He lived life fully, he achieved his dreams, and he inspired so many. Particularly this past year, he had reached a place of joy in his life that I think few ever find. While it's always going to hurt that he has left us so soon, there is some peace in knowing that he moved on to the next world having reached such a pinnacle.

I want to say again what a blessing this forum has been to myself and his family. It still comes up in conversation how overwhelmed we have been by the outpouring of love from this community - and it truly has moved us. Thank you all!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Sarah, Drew was one of our family here, and his loss is still difficult to bear, even for those of us that never had the pleasure of meeting him personally.

My family on this Forum has helped me thru some very difficult times, and I'm very happy that we are here to help you and Drew's Mom in any way we can.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Guys, I am going to go ahead and unpin this thread. I am still deeply saddened by the loss of drew as a valued member and as a friend, but we feel it is time to unpin this notice.

Drew's Mom and ADRidge's Girl: please stay with us as members, and thank you so much for sharing with us during this difficult time for you.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Guys, I am going to go ahead and unpin this thread. I am still deeply saddened by the loss of drew as a valued member and as a friend, but we feel it is time to unpin this notice.

Drew's Mom and ADRidge's Girl: please stay with us as members, and thank you so much for sharing with us during this difficult time for you.

Thank you sir for leaving it as long as you have and for all the respect and support. We will definitely stick around!

*sarah
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Thank you all so much for your kind support. We will definitely stick around. After all, I used to depend on Drew for all gun-related info. I need you all now!