Colorado Springs fires

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 781 Senior Member
If you've been watching the news you already know that an extremely dangerous fire is burning into the west side of Colorado Springs and into the mountains just west of town. Full reports are not in but the incident commander says "numerous" houses have been lost. Most of the west side of town is evacuated, including the USAF Academy, and the communities west of town are evacuated, too. It is far from over but it is already the worst disaster ever in this city. My family is fine and I spoke with Linefinder a little while ago; he and Machele are safe, too. Here are a couple of photos taken from my upstairs windows.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    Yep, the just ended press conference just informed us that 32,000 folks have been evacuated from the NW side of town. Out of a population of ~500K, they are closing in on 10% pretty quick. 65 mph winds caused the eastern edge of the fire to break through both their primary and secondary containment lines.

Yesterday we were happy that they'd achieved 5% containment, with 4600 acres burned. Well....looks like we lost that and a whole lot more this afternoon and evening.

Our house is probably 5 miles as the crow flies from the leading edge of the fire. In our favor though, the fire would have to jump I-25, Monument Creek, and a whole lot of open space without a whole lot of trees for fuel. I am, of course, knocking on wood (literally) as I say that, because I've got a gut feeling that it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

Any of you guys back east (or out west, for that matter) that have a few unnecessary rain clouds floating around, send 'em our way. We'll put them to good use and be forever in your debt.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Good luck to you guys.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    Prayers that things get better soon. Last week we met a very nice family from there, Hope they are safe.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    11:39 PM , The Governor is having another press conference. Praying for a rapid begining of the monsoons. Standing by with PU fueled. Not that we're any safer. 38000 acres went up in an afternoon near Last Chance about an hor and a quarter east of here.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Thanks ken, I watch the news on this every chance I get.. I lived in Colorado for 23yrs, and although I ain't a Co. native I do consider it my home state, and hope to get back there in the near future... Can ya give me some more first hand information. I have a daughter who is in College @ Steamboat, but her mailing adress say Oakcreek. My son lives in Summit County, near Lake Dillon, his mailing adress is Frisco,Co. What can ya fill me on as far as those area are concerned with the fire? Thanks
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    Wish I could send you some of the torrential rain that we have been having, it would solve the problem real quick. I remember driving through Colorado Springs last year and stopping at the lookout near the Academy. The view was awesome with the mountains in the background.

Take care you guys.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    Good luck guys.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 781 Senior Member
    Thanks ken, I watch the news on this every chance I get.. I lived in Colorado for 23yrs, and although I ain't a Co. native I do consider it my home state, and hope to get back there in the near future... Can ya give me some more first hand information. I have a daughter who is in College @ Steamboat, but her mailing adress say Oakcreek. My son lives in Summit County, near Lake Dillon, his mailing adress is Frisco,Co. What can ya fill me on as far as those area are concerned with the fire? Thanks

No fires that I know of in the Steamboat area although the High Park fire (Google that phrase and you can probably get more detail) has burned through about 86,000 acres west of Ft. Collins. The Frisco/Lake Dillon area is okay - no worries there. Your daughter is probably getting some smoke, though. Here's a link that will show you where that fire is:

http://cohighparkfiremap.org/

I hope this helps.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    This freakin' drought is getting old real quick. Rather, it got old a long time ago.

I hope everything up that way gets under control and the damage is minimal. My son lives in Loveland.

We just got our two big fires taken care of. The Whitewater-Baldy fire in the Gila and the Little Bear fire near Ruidoso. Little Bear burned a bunch of houses up there. Now looking forward to flooding in these areas, with no growth to hold everything together. So far, nothing but scortching sun, over 100 degrees every day, and no rain in sight............
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    You guys continue to stay safe....and we'll pray for rain, less wind, whatever might help.... to be sent your way.
    Well, we went from 4600 acres burned yesterday morning to over 16,000 this morning. The southern boundary of the "pre-evacuation" area is now less than two miles from my house. But, in spite of the rapidity of the fires advance yesterday PM, I'm actually feeling pretty good about how the authorities are handling things here.

They can't get the trees in the street medians watered. They can't time the traffic lights so that you can go more than two blocks without stopping. We've got potholes you could loose a dozer in. But let the city burst into flames and they appear capable of fast, competent action.

Hmmm......I guess we've learned something. To get the streets fixed, we're going to have to light a fire under their

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Oh, how's this for irony......

Manitou Springs, just to the west of us (pretty much a suburb of Colorado Springs) is now under a flash flood watch. Light thunderstorms are predicted for the area, and with the mountain-sides pretty much now denuded of trees and brush, there's nothing to stop the water from cascading down the mountains.

Flames yesterday. Flood today.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    ken55 wrote: »
    No fires that I know of in the Steamboat area although the High Park fire (Google that phrase and you can probably get more detail) has burned through about 86,000 acres west of Ft. Collins. The Frisco/Lake Dillon area is okay - no worries there. Your daughter is probably getting some smoke, though. Here's a link that will show you where that fire is:

http://cohighparkfiremap.org/

I hope this helps.

Sure enough ken thanks a million...... that's a lot better link than I have found so far... And just so everyone knows Texas, New Mexico,( where I am at) Arizona and some other parts of Colorado, have had extremely hot triple digits temps. Some record are either being broken as I write or will go down in the books as new records. I don't ever remember a summer being this hot regardless of what state I lived in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • davidwellsdavidwells Banned Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys I am from Colorado. I want to thank you all who have sympathized with us on this grave tragedy. Till now approximately 346 houses have been lost to the fire and this eruption is being termed as the state'e worst ever. My heart goes to those who have lost their homes. Despite such a heart wrenching tragedy I hope that will come stronger out of this and better prepared if such a disaster were to happen again.
    davidwells which part of Colorado do ya live in. I lived in that state for 23yrs after moving from NC.. I live north of Denver, in the towns of Broomfield, Westminster, Northglenn, etc.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I just got back to MT with my mom in tow. I was down there helping her pack up and got a front row seat to it. Also passed a fire in WY that looked exactly like Mt Doom from lord of the rings (at night anyway)
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Perhaps I shouldn't say anything on this subject because it probably won't be understood in the way that I mean it, but.....

I wonder how much of this extremely dangerous situation we may have unknowingly brought on ourselves wheather it is in Colorado, California or here in Florida? My knowledge of Colorado's forest conditions are very limited for sure. One hundred percent of what I know is based on the few days that I sneaked through the woods west of the AF Academy looking for snakes and bugs to eat during my SERE training way back in the early '70s. But I remember the Ponderosa Pine Forests as being similar to our native pine forests here in the Deep South. And the teriffic, frequent thunder and lightening storms, too! Fire in our Southern forest is a natural thing-or was-before the state initiated fire control which has increased the fuel content to extremely dangerous levels in many parts of Florida.

Could it be that our "Smokey The Bear" syndrome of rushing out to put out fire in the woods has allowed the fuel content to reach extremely dangerous levels? That's the case here in parts of Florida for sure! 'Course it doesn't help to think about that when your house is about to burn down! Sure wish that I could help those on the Forum who may be in danger of loosing their homes!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    For the past ten years or so the fire service has been recognized that the total elimination of fire as a tool is not a good thing. Yellowstone's big fire taught everybody lessons that were taken seriously. Prescribed fire is now used whenever and wherever it can. Unfortunately, undoing 50- 75 years of fire eradication cannot be undone overnight. Letting natural fires burn is being done more often, but it will take time. Add in to all of this the pine beetle infestations in parts of the the country, that adds a lot of dead dry material just waiting for a spark. I do not know if any or all of this would apply in the case of the fires in Colorado, but thats the state of things as I understand it. Stay safe all of you threatened by the fires, posessions are just that, your life is more important.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    :that: Spot on....Yellowstone was a veritable powder keg waiting for a spark...many forests around the country are in the same shape..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    For the past ten years or so the fire service has been recognized that the total elimination of fire as a tool is not a good thing. Yellowstone's big fire taught everybody lessons that were taken seriously. Prescribed fire is now used whenever and wherever it can. Unfortunately, undoing 50- 75 years of fire eradication cannot be undone overnight. Letting natural fires burn is being done more often, but it will take time. Add in to all of this the pine beetle infestations in parts of the the country, that adds a lot of dead dry material just waiting for a spark. I do not know if any or all of this would apply in the case of the fires in Colorado, but thats the state of things as I understand it. Stay safe all of you threatened by the fires, posessions are just that, your life is more important.

Thats one of the reasons the wildfires in Australia are so devastating. The 'greens' stopped people from clearing up all the dead stuff from around their houses from what some of the people I have met have said.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    Always a good idea to leave extra fuel lying around your house waiting for an errant spark to come wandering by. Amazes me how people would go nuts if somebody started spraying diesel fuel around their house but think nothing of leaving dead brush etc. up against the same house.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    I hope everyone in the Colorado Springs area is safe. I was just there a few days ago for work related stuff and it's bad. 5 of my Soldiers have lost their homes so far.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Exactly why every bit of woods is burned every 2 years here on my base. And when we do get a woodland fire, it is crazy to think how much worse it could be if this wasn't done. My prayers are sent to those living out that way. Wish they would send a few from here out that way, I for one am chomping at the bit...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock