Home Main Category Hunting

Talk to me about bow hunting

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Well in his defense, I haven't been posting here much.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Arkansans dont recognize sarcasm.

And people from MOzambique don't copper wash their broadheads for deeper penetration for HD purposes.
    I did ask if he was trolling.
    You know, it's all fun and games til someone puts an eye out.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Read the post before mine Razor backer. That is the feller that doesn't get sarcasm. When I said not having used a bow was a trivial thing with regards to bow hunting, anyone with two brain cells to rub together would know that THAT was sarcasm to the extreme.

Sadly, it seems I'm going to have to couch my comments to the lowest common denominator.

No. screw that. That's not what I do.

Anyways, back to bow hunting. Thanks for all the replies guys. Wambli, I may call on you brother. Picking up my gear tomorrow. My bow shop guy is a die hard stick n stringer. I trust him (and you guys). I'll do this right.

Range report soon!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »
    Mine was a DMI Expert.
    What are you using? What keeps arrow in place before, during, and after drawing?

Mine is a rip cord. You cock it, and an arm above it keeps the arrow boxed in. I will take a pic tomorrow.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Buffco wrote: »
    Read the post before mine Razor backer. That is the feller that doesn't get sarcasm. When I said not having used a bow was a trivial thing with regards to bow hunting, anyone with two brain cells to rub together would know that THAT was sarcasm to the extreme.

Sadly, it seems I'm going to have to couch my comments to the lowest common denominator.

No. screw that. That's not what I do.

Anyways, back to bow hunting. Thanks for all the replies guys. Wambli, I may call on you brother. Picking up my gear tomorrow. My bow shop guy is a die hard stick n stringer. I trust him (and you guys). I'll do this right.
    Range report soon!

I guess you mean the Airedale person. Dunno. But this is a G&A supported sight so my default position has been that there will be some lurking neophytes. So, I've posted accordingly.
    I like to poke fun as much as the next guy. But not everyone is a long term member of y'alls little clique.
    I help moderate a Baseball forum and the mods here are very aggressive IMHO. Which is good. But what I'm used to seeing is a "post deleted" thing. Whereas here you see a response to a post that was deleted and the response makes no sense out of context. So it can be confusing at times. At least for someone new here. And I'm a long time subscriber to G&A.

Anywho, my copper bath is about to boil over and I've my home defense broadheads to wash.
    Oh, and cpj, we got the electric light and everything here these days. Surely you'll forgive the bathos.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    What are the advantages of aluminum arrows over carbon? Since I switched to carbons they have passed clear through the last 4 deer I hit.(You still gotta hittem) the one before was a spine shot and dropped the deer but required a finisher. I also like how during practice they (carbon) won't get sprung like aluminum. Just my 2 cents.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I just wear a thong and my rubber boots on the way out. Nice and fresh when I get to my tree stand... :tooth:

You're a sick, sick Puppy Wambli, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    What are the advantages of aluminum arrows over carbon? Since I switched to carbons they have passed clear through the last 4 deer I hit.(You still gotta hittem) the one before was a spine shot and dropped the deer but required a finisher. I also like how during practice they (carbon) won't get sprung like aluminum. Just my 2 cents.

Exhibit A....

attachment.php?attachmentid=162010&stc=1&d=1102970225

Exhibit B....

attachment.php?attachmentid=349895&stc=1&d=1339556254

Exhibit C....

arrow-in-hand2.jpg

Flex your wood and carbon arrows to look for cracks every day you shoot and after every time they hit anything wrong (bounch off another arrow, off a tree, side of a target.)

Wood can impale ya once. Carbon fills you with many slivers
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    1965Jeff. If the question of aluminum arrows was directed at me, I'll give my preference of aluminum over carbon. I buy unfinished arrow shafts. I epoxy in the inserts and nock points, and fletch the arrows to suit me (four vanes). I cut the shafts to the length I shoot with a small metal cutoff saw. I can buy the aluminum shafts for a third of what unfinished carbon shafts cost, don't have to deal with the carbon fiber dust when cutting to length (nasty as asbestos FWIW), and fletching aluminum shafts is a snap compared to carbon shafts. I've never bent or sprung an aluminum shaft shooting into a hay bale.

Carbon shaft arrows are faster due to lighter weight, but I prefer aluminum for the above reasons. Just personal preference for me; nothing more nor less. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    What does it mean when you have "sprung" an arrow shaft?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    All you nay sayers of the drop away, here you go....

Cocked, and not letting the arrow go anywhere but forward. uploadfromtaptalk1340970711795.jpg

Even when horizontal as if it were sitting on my lap... uploadfromtaptalk1340970764495.jpg

And yes, even if I were to be hanging upside down.... uploadfromtaptalk1340970780876.jpg

You would be surprised at how many people who bash the drop away rest who don't know how to use it. The idea isn't to let your arrow flop around unsupported till you draw, it is to cock it right after you knock it up (no pun intended)
    I let a friend borrow my bow for a few hunts and he swore he was going to have to go buy a biscuit for it. The new bow he just bought has a drop away, that wasn't on it when he bought it....
    I'm in love with a Glock
    And yes, I am rocking 2 pins, but only use 1. I have just been too lazy to take the second one off. Once you get addicted, you will learn to instinctively aim. You just end up seeing the trajectory in your head, that is if you don't become over dependant on a million pins.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    Don't know 'sprung'.... If you hit the side of a wood arrow (on target or tree) it compresses the wood fibers and you lose the 'spine' of the arrow and it will no longer shoot straight of your bow.

Also keep an eye on your knocks for cracks. Don't know about the newfangled compounds, but recurves don't like to be 'dry fired'
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,653 Senior Member
    Practice, then practice, then get out and practice. After you start hitting where you are aiming, then practice HOW you are going to hunt. If you are shooting from a stand, then get elevated, if you are going to be shooting from a stand with a seat in it, practice shooting sitting and elevated. Ground blind, then practice shooting sitting on level ground.

The new compounds take a lot of the talent out of bowhunting. You still need to bring your level up to where the bow makers have dumbed it down. Don't try to shoot 100 a night, if you can shoot 20 GOOD (repeat) GOOD releases a night you will get better.

Define your hunting range as the distance that you can put every shot you take in the place you are aiming. Not near, but in. For you first year, starting this late if you don't get past 20 yards, then 20 yards is the MAX distance you should be taking a shot on a live animal. The reason for that is when you get a critter in range, it is a different ball of wax. It will be moving or subject to move, breathing, and alert. The other thing is you will be different. Even after you take a couple, the heart will still pick up, you may be holding the string back for what will feel like a hour waiting for that ONE step to get the heart lung area to clear that tree.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Oh newfangled compunds will react violently to being dry fired...

Got the gear!!! New post soon.

Ok, one thing that has always worried me is deer "jumping" the shot. Virtually every bow hunting video I've watched shows the deer slamming downwards as they gather their feet beneath them to bound away. I've watched plenty of shots sail over their backs.

Now, whether those misses are because the deer "jumped" or because dude didn't figure out his angle correctly (elevated hunting) I don't know.

But, assuming for a moment that pins and yardage are all figured out, is this a big cause for missed shots? I mean, I watch the arrows go through the deer, but it sure seems in slow motion that the point of impact would change between the thump of the string and the arrow impacting the target.

I need cpj to come down so I can have a 3-d, moving target.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    The bruise on your arm gives it away.
    Your left arm (if you're right handed) should be slightly bent at the elbow, not straight or over extended.
    The arm guard only keeps your hunting clothing out of the way.
    Dude!
    I'll concede that you're accurate with a rifle at 400 yards.
    But to say that an average bow hunters range is up to 75 yards is a lot of baloney.
    Wake up! Read the news! Most kills with a bow are under 30 yards, maybe less.
    Do know, honestly, how long it takes an arrow to travel 75 yards? Have you realized how many tree limbs can effect the arrow's flight?
    So, if you're lucky, you hit a deer in the butt. Maybe.
    Are you tellin' me that that deer doesn't feel any pain?
    My dog would.
    The true bow hunter is even more aware of the benifits of practice.
    You say that you're gonna go on a bow hunt. That's fine.
    But to take a bow hunt lightly does disservice to the animal and ultimatly to the participent.
    Hey cpj...

Fish on, brother. They's a bitin'.
    Airedale wrote: »
    But to say that an average bow hunters range is up to 75 yards is a lot of baloney.

Baloney yourself. Have you never heard of the archers of Agincourt? The English longbowman was picking off French scum at 200 yards or more. And that was with a yew bow and sheepsgut string!

The bows we have nowadays are much more powerful and capable of much greater accuracy, I'm sure.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Baloney yourself. Have you never heard of the archers of Agincourt? The English longbowman was picking off French scum at 200 yards or more. And that was with a yew bow and sheepsgut string!

The bows we have nowadays are much more powerful and capable of much greater accuracy, I'm sure.

The range of the medieval weapon is not accurately known, with estimates from 165 to 228 m (180 to 249 yds). Modern longbows have a useful range up to 180 m (200 yd). A 667 N (150 lbf) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 53.6 g (1.9 oz) arrow 328 m (360 yd) and a 95.9 g (3.3 oz) a distance of 249.9 m (272 yd).[23] A flight arrow of a professional archer of Edward III's time would reach 400 yds. It is also well known that no practice range was allowed to be less than 220 yds by order of Henry VIII.[(Wikipedia)

Thought I would help out,, don't forget to adjust your drag!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    The range of the medieval weapon is not accurately known, with estimates from 165 to 228 m (180 to 249 yds). Modern longbows have a useful range up to 180 m (200 yd). A 667 N (150 lbf) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 53.6 g (1.9 oz) arrow 328 m (360 yd) and a 95.9 g (3.3 oz) a distance of 249.9 m (272 yd).[23] A flight arrow of a professional archer of Edward III's time would reach 400 yds. It is also well known that no practice range was allowed to be less than 220 yds by order of Henry VIII.[(Wikipedia)

Thought I would help out,, don't forget to adjust your drag!

400 yards??!?!? Wow.

Ok, then my 75 yards is a cakewalk by comparison with these powerful bows. People who wait for 30 yard shots are either fools, or incompetent.

I'm scared to tighten the drag anymore, but I'm running outta line! :tooth:
    Airedale wrote: »
    Dude!
    I'll concede that you're accurate with a rifle at 400 yards.
    Do know, honestly, how long it takes an arrow to travel 75 yards? Have you realized how many tree limbs can effect the arrow's flight?
    So, if you're lucky, you hit a deer in the butt. Maybe.
    Are you tellin' me that that deer doesn't feel any pain?
    My dog would.
    The true bow hunter is even more aware of the benifits of practice.
    You say that you're gonna go on a bow hunt. That's fine.
    But to take a bow hunt lightly does disservice to the animal and ultimatly to the participent.

I guess you would have to scratch your head in awe when you see me set my target up at the rear of my acre lot and stand on the other end of the property line and fill it full of sticks....
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 486 Member
    I need cpj to come down so I can have a 3-d, moving target.

Oooh, Oooh....video, please?

Pretty please?
    Well, you guys did invent the tooth brush.

Yep, we sure did. Also invented Wal-Mart, Dillards, Stephens inc. and all kindsa neat stuff. Didja know every round of Remington ammo is loaded less than 20 minutes from Little Rock? Probably not.
    Anyway, you're not gonna drag me down into your gutter argument. 'Cause you'd just beat me with experience. In the gutter I mean.
    You might consider taking your own advice as you posted above. You know that thing you said about trying to not be such a dick?
    Your words not mine.
    Cheers!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    I'm late to the party, as usual. I bow hunt. A lot. I've got all the latest gear.

In summary, light, fast, carbon, fixed blade Muzzy heads, NEVER practice with hunting arrows or broadheads. Practice, practice, parctice. Whisker bisquits are FINE rests. I currently use a really expensive drop away, but WB's are just fine.
    Deer won't jump the string if your bow is fast an quiet enough. Last one I shot didn't have a clue what happened 'till he fell over.

One other thing, you might want to think about a 4 or 5 pin sight. With modern bows, 10 yard pins aren't needed, and 50 is very doable. I've got mine sighted to 60...
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 220 Member
    Arkansans dont recognize sarcasm.

Easy there princess
    Wow!
    You prepare yourself in your backyard (full of sticks) and discount the fact that Expert bowhunters limit their shots to result in a humane kill.
    It's a lot like the new guy with a .300 Win Magnum that bangs away at an animal far beyond his capabilities.
    Sure, the animal will die.
    But an animal shot in the butt is an animal shot in the butt.
    If you insist on continuing your plan about a bow hunt, you should do a lot of practice.
    Shooting at a target is a world of difference from shooting at game. As you should well know.
    Jim
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    Mine is a rip cord. You cock it, and an arm above it keeps the arrow boxed in. I will take a pic tomorrow.

Thanks. I also looked it up on their web site, and looks good, better than my drop away that had nothing above the arrow it to box it in. Still curious what happens if you draw back, but decide not to shoot and let up on your draw? Does the arrow then stay boxed in, or does it flop around?
    For crying out loud.
    Those midieval archers won't aiming at a target.
    That's baloney!
    Jim
    I think someone should clue Airedale in.. My heart's just not in it anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2