Got a great deal on an ATV

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,226 Senior Member
PolarisSportsman500HO.jpg

After seeing just how squirrelly mountain travel is around the areas that I hunt quail, duck (and now mule deer), I decided that an ATV would be a good investment. However, when I saw what the dealerships were considering a "good" price with measly $500 incentives for what I as after, it was obvious that a used one in good shape would be the way to go. So, I got on Craigslist and there it was: a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. with only 2,430 miles on it at the time on purchase. No body damage, all the boots are completely intact, new battery, fresh change on all fluids, and generally well cared for. It has a 2,500 lb. Warn winch, side-saddle hard rifle case (not attached in the pic), two front gun forks, selectable all-wheel drive, engine brake and plenty of storage space in the front box and rear rack. This thing is going to be perfect for hitting the nasty, juniper choked mountain passes and scouting for quail in flats.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    That should serve you quite well. I have a 300cc Honda and a 325cc Polaris (both 2wd) and have always been quite impressed with where they were able to take me. A 500 with awd and a winch should get you into all kinds of trouble.

Sako
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Nice! My Dad had an older Polaris 500 with a winch and that thing would go just about anywhere- while dragging a moose!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    That should serve you quite well. I have a 300cc Honda and a 325cc Polaris (both 2wd) and have always been quite impressed with where they were able to take me. A 500 with awd and a winch should get you into all kinds of trouble.

Sako

That's what I'm afraid of! :tooth: In all seriousness, I have deepest respect for how dangerous these things can be when you try to get too cute with them. I won't be doing anything dumber than trying to get up some nasty terrain out here at about 5 mph.
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    Nice! My Dad had an older Polaris 500 with a winch and that thing would go just about anywhere- while dragging a moose!

Yeah, I had no clue which one to get, but my friends here are big into Polaris and steered toward a used 500. This thing is definitely built like a tank and has more power than I'll ever use.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with buying American. So how sweet was the deal?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Nothing wrong with buying American. So how sweet was the deal?

$4K total with all acessories.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    $4K total with all acessories.

Did you buy the guy lunch at least?
    I'm in love with a Glock
    When I bought my first Jeep (a Rubicon) the sales person had some great advice for me. He said, "Please be careful, this thing will get you into places and situations where you have NO business being."

Yeah, when we go wheeling in a group of Jeeps, they always put me at the front. That way they know if I get through it that it is at least possible to be passed :jester:
    I'm in love with a Glock
    When I bought my first Jeep (a Rubicon) the sales person had some great advice for me. He said, "Please be careful, this thing will get you into places and situations where you have NO business being." Same applies to those. They are a hoot as long as you respect how deep into caca they can put you. Have fun my friend and I know you'll be careful!

I am nowhere near experienced with 4-wheelers, but I know that guy gave you sage advice there. Last quail season, I borrowed a friend's 1999 Sportsman 500 H.O. to scout a new area for quail. We covered a lot of ground that day, much of it at a decent speed. However, at one point, while was tooling along slowly (maybe 3-5 mph) on what appeared to be flat ground, out of nowhere came a 6 ft. deep/10 ft. wide wash that would've made for a helluva ugly surprise had I had the throttle opened up. The fact is, I might not be here typing had I been going much faster. That was enough to put a real fear in me for even considering mild recklessness on one of these things, let alone outlandish stupidity.
    Did you buy the guy lunch at least?

I wish I had. Since my knowledge on these things is limited, I took up my friend's ATV mechanic on a offer to look this thing over when I got it back for any hidden damage or possible maintenance items that may need tending to before I trust it in the wilderness. His response after looking it over was something along the lines of, "I've got nothing. Never sell this thing because you'll never get the value back given what you paid for it versus the condition it's in. You got one helluva deal."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    That's a great deal on a very good ATV! Wear a 'skid lid' when riding; mine has saved my head and eyes more than once. And gloves; briers are hard on the front paws. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,595 Senior Member
    My grandfather in law has a polaris with 20,000+ miles on it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    However, at one point, while was tooling along slowly (maybe 3-5 mph) on what appeared to be flat ground, out of nowhere came a 6 ft. deep/10 ft. wide wash that would've made for a helluva ugly surprise had I had the throttle opened up. The fact is, I might not be here typing had I been going much faster. That was enough to put a real fear in me for even considering mild recklessness on one of these things, let alone outlandish stupidity.

Never had any patient complain they were wearing a helmet, appropriate boots, and gloves when they left their 4-whelers abruptly. In case you have minimal experience on 4-wheelers and 3-wheelers, take your feet off the pegs/running boards and you WILL have tire tracks up the back of your leg, be careful.

I would have not blinked at the deal you got:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Never had any patient complain they were wearing a helmet, appropriate boots, and gloves when they left their 4-whelers abruptly. In case you have minimal experience on 4-wheelers and 3-wheelers, take your feet off the pegs/running boards and you WILL have tire tracks up the back of your leg, be careful.

Most of the bigger 4x4 ATV's have running boards between the fenders where you can't put your feet down.... (I have done that with three wheelers though)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    tennmike wrote: »
    That's a great deal on a very good ATV! Wear a 'skid lid' when riding; mine has saved my head and eyes more than once. And gloves; briers are hard on the front paws. :tooth:

My buddy just GAVE me a Shoei helmet today for the cost of $0.00 - I couldn't believe it, as it cost about $300 new, but he says he doesn't need it anymore. It's an older one that's plain white, but I'm not gonna turn down free on a piece of quailty safety gear!
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    My grandfather in law has a polaris with 20,000+ miles on it.

Wow - that's incredibly good to hear. I plan on treating this thing like a car and having proper maintenance done it seasonally. Maybe I can get that kind of longevity out of this one.

jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Most of the bigger 4x4 ATV's have running boards between the fenders where you can't put your feet down.... (I have done that with three wheelers though)

CHIRO - What jbp-ohio said is the case with this one. There's literally no other place for your feet to go, as the fenders blend into the footwells completely. Seeing what you're saying there about the dangers of having it otherwise, I'm glad that this one eliminates that possibility.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

We are still in the stoneage at our hunting shack, apparently, with the 350 Yamaha BigBear, foot pegs only. I have been on some friends Bombardiers and was going so fast so quickly I did not really pay attention.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    We are still in the stoneage at our hunting shack, apparently, with the 350 Yamaha BigBear, foot pegs only. I have been on some friends Bombardiers and was going so fast so quickly I did not really pay attention.

Yeah, I remember how some of those older ones were set up and I can see what you mean. If you have a look at the picture below of my very same 4-wheeler, you'll see that the entire footwell is totally segregated from the wheel in these newer designs:

NV13488_1.jpg
    That is a better set up obviously, hope some lawyer did not prompt the redesign. On a side note, we have had my uncle driving, me on the front rack, a whitetail on the back rack, and my kid on top of the wite tail on his BigBear at the same time and other than accelerating a tad bit slower it barely grunted with the load, I wish they still made some 250 - 350 4X4's for some general use, they are pretty big and heavy these days for those that want to go fast too.
    That is a better set up obviously, hope some lawyer did not prompt the redesign. On a side note, we have had my uncle driving, me on the front rack, a whitetail on the back rack, and my kid on top of the wite tail on his BigBear at the same time and other than accelerating a tad bit slower it barely grunted with the load, I wish they still made some 250 - 350 4X4's for some general use, they are pretty big and heavy these days for those that want to go fast too.

Yeah, a lot of the new models become full-up utility model ATVs (and the associated weight) like mine once you ask for a 4x4. You ask for a smaller, lighter 250-350cc, and then it seems you lose the 4x4.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Lunch? You should have at least kissed the guy for that deal :worthy:

edited to add: it may not be a gun, but it still earns you a :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    . Last quail season, I borrowed a friend's 1999 Sportsman 500 H.O. to scout a new area for quail. We covered a lot of ground that day, much of it at a decent speed. However, at one point, while was tooling along slowly (maybe 3-5 mph) on what appeared to be flat ground, out of nowhere came a 6 ft. deep/10 ft. wide wash that would've made for a helluva ugly surprise had I had the throttle opened up. The fact is, I might not be here typing had I been going much faster. That was enough to put a real fear in me for even considering mild recklessness on one of these things, let alone outlandish stupidity.

Ya dont have to be stupid to get bit by a quad bike. :tooth:

The marks on my tee shirt were caused by the tyres on the Honda 450 when it rolled over the top of me ( twice) while I tried to negotiate a slope that looked so benign......

quadroll017.jpg

That night it looked like this............................

quadroll027.jpg

2 days later my whole back was going a lovely shade of purple with black streaks.

Afew years back I ran the Honda into an 8' deep drainage ditch at about 60Km/h while doing a night pest shoot. The bike threw me 40+ feet across the paddock landing on my head, the bike n stood on its nose and then threw the 6 12v sealed batteries off the rear carrier which landed on top of me, followed by my B/A 22. I dont remember much of the following day ( I had to run a dive charter).

Good score on the quad.........I know you will love it, esp the engine brake. Take care my friend, we have a date for hunting sometime in the future.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Bad HabitBad Habit New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    you can still get a 350-450 with 4wd.
    most will come with a manual shift instead of auto
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Lunch? You should have at least kissed the guy for that deal :worthy:

edited to add: it may not be a gun, but it still earns you a :yousuck:

The old guy I bought it from has a decent deal going on a 1999 Polaris that has only a little over 5K on it. Some minor damage (the LCD with the milage got plunked somewhere along the way, so it's tough to read) and the paint is a bit more faded, but again, that's really low miles for a bike that old and the body integrity looks good. He's asking $3,200 for that one.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ya dont have to be stupid to get bit by a quad bike. :tooth:

Good score on the quad.........I know you will love it, esp the engine brake. Take care my friend, we have a date for hunting sometime in the future.......

Thanks for the advance warning, Alec and yes, I need to get out your way someday. I would LOVE to hunt some ducks out there with you, man.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Good buy on the bike, Six. :up:

I have the same bike (for sale) in AZ.

A couple of things to know about that model in particular have to do with the belt drive. A lot of people say that it's prone to getting water in the belt/clutch housing which allows it to slip. Must be the reason for the drain plug. I've never had it happen to me but I also never ran it a LOT under more than 3 feet of water.

The other thing is, don't leave it idling while in gear for very long. It will "burn" a spot on the belt where the engine is turning but the belt is not. Park or neutral is your friend.

One of the best accessories I have is the bag that sits on my gas tank. Just a loop around the filler neck and a clip on each side and you have a handy place for a binocular, camera & stuff. Also, when you stop for a break and take off your gloves, lay them on the FRONT of the bike, and not on the rear where you might take off without noticing them. :cuss:

And a roll of TP in a ziplock baggie fits nicely in the front storage compartment. :tooth:
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD wrote: »
    Good buy on the bike, Six. :up:

I have the same bike (for sale) in AZ.

A couple of things to know about that model in particular have to do with the belt drive. A lot of people say that it's prone to getting water in the belt/clutch housing which allows it to slip. Must be the reason for the drain plug. I've never had it happen to me but I also never ran it a LOT under more than 3 feet of water.

The other thing is, don't leave it idling while in gear for very long. It will "burn" a spot on the belt where the engine is turning but the belt is not. Park or neutral is your friend.

One of the best accessories I have is the bag that sits on my gas tank. Just a loop around the filler neck and a clip on each side and you have a handy place for a binocular, camera & stuff. Also, when you stop for a break and take off your gloves, lay them on the FRONT of the bike, and not on the rear where you might take off without noticing them. :cuss:

And a roll of TP in a ziplock baggie fits nicely in the front storage compartment. :tooth:

Thanks for the tips, PFD! I was curious about one of those saddle bag setups. How are they are far as the seemingly inevitable gas spillage on the fabric? No melting or distortion? Right now, I am looking at a zipperless fender bag like this:

204291840.jpg

It has one on it now with zippers and you can see why zippered bags are completely undesireable in this dusty climate. I don't think there's a single zipper left on it that is still on the rails and actually works. If I get a saddle bag, zippers are a no-go item.

As far as parking, I've never even thought to leave it in gear with the brake lock on. So far, I've always put it in park when it's sitting idle.

Also, From the sound of it, I presume it's same to to this thing through a creek while it's hot (?) I remember the horror stories of guys with air cooler motorbikes cracking their aluminum engine blocks after running them hot through creeks. Where I am going with this thing, there are a fair number of mountain springs and creek that I will likely have to pass and I don't want to kill the engine by splashing through one.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips, PFD! I was curious about one of those saddle bag setups. How are they are far as the seemingly inevitable gas spillage on the fabric? No melting or distortion?

Never a problem for me, I just lay the loop to the side when re-fueling.

Right now, I am looking at a zipperless fender bag like this:

204291840.jpg

Yep, I have something similar on mine. Works great! When I installed it, I bought a short length of 1/2 "dowel rod" and looped the top straps around it and then closed it inside the top compartment. An old broomstick would work also.

Also, From the sound of it, I presume it's same to to this thing through a creek while it's hot (?) I remember the horror stories of guys with air cooler motorbikes cracking their aluminum engine blocks after running them hot through creeks. Where I am going with this thing, there are a fair number of mountain springs and creek that I will likely have to pass and I don't want to kill the engine by splashing through one.

No problem at all. I've actually driven it though what I thought was a puddle but turned out to be knee deep water. :fan:

Something else, when I took mine over a bunch of 13,000' + passes in Colorado (Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer etc.) I had to take the top of the airbox off to get it to breathe. All of the air was still filtered, just more of it. If you look under the seat at the tiny opening that the air has to go in, you'll see what I mean. I ended up drilling five 3/8" holes in the top. I think it really helps.

000_0005.jpg
    That's all I got.

Paul