.380 zombie

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,968 Senior Member
I think I like the ammo for use in a .380 and would make it and Critical Defense
.380 my go to ammo if it was sold locally.

I posted in the "ZOMBIES are ruining the image" thread how well it took out
a water filled jug.

Today I got 3&3/8" in wood planks with some deformation of the bullet, about like in the advertisements
for critical duty in wood.

Then with magazines it penetrated 15/16"; as good or better than other .380 ammo.
The surprising thing was it expanded to 15/16".
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    So, do you shoot zombie magazines in the head...

or take them outside first?
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    To the end of the road in the forest since they came from the forest in the first place.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    A long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away, in the before time, .380 acp in a small little blaster like a Colt Mustang was the bomb digity and the cat's pajamas, the Colt Mustang was one of the few locked breech pistols, and way accurate, mine even with it's non existent sights could really group well, and in those days was the ultimate BUG.

Today, all that has changed, there are 9mm pistols that are the same size as the Mustang, why settle for a weak 9mm ???? No need to settle !!!! get a 9mm !!!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Well, Doc; as related in the past history of buying this Bersa, it was a center fire handgun that Clean would shoot.
    IE---gun weight, trigger pull, and recoil to her specifications.

That meant .380, .32 S&W long, or .32 H&R
    and if the .32's, the surrender of my .327, though the SP 101 was really too heavy.
    Sigh......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    Another potentialy good .380 thread ruined , thanks Doc !
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
    Ruined???????????
    Doc doesn't ruin threads, he just makes them more interesting.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Then with magazines it penetrated 15/16"; as good or better than other .380 ammo.

I think you have just convinced me to use only FMJ's in my .380. I only carry it occasionally, in the "dog days of summer," but when I do, I'd like to know it has a chance of penetrating enough to hit something important, even if it does only make a .38 hole.
    bisley wrote: »
    I think you have just convinced me to use only FMJ's in my .380. I only carry it occasionally, in the "dog days of summer," but when I do, I'd like to know it has a chance of penetrating enough to hit something important, even if it does only make a .38 hole.
    Then, I'd use a flat tip such as WWB.
    I remember shooting Aguila .380 acp out of My Colt Mustang at cardboard dress manikins and the bullets not exiting, but completely breaking up into fragments.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I remember shooting Aguila .380 acp out of My Colt Mustang at cardboard dress manikins and the bullets not exiting, but completely breaking up into fragments.
    The only Aguila ammo I had was some .32 S&W long
    it just seemed to be made with a brittle lead alloy or such
  • dbrow6272dbrow6272 New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I also carry a .380 in the summer. Sig Sauer P238. Easy to conceal, extremely accurate, easy to take down for cleaning. With today's ammo this is a nice gun to carry. I have extreme confidence in it, actually love the little piece.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." TR
    dbrow6272 wrote: »
    I also carry a .380 in the summer. Sig Sauer P238. Easy to conceal, extremely accurate, easy to take down for cleaning. With today's ammo this is a nice gun to carry. I have extreme confidence in it, actually love the little piece.

I don't have much confidence in .380, but it's better than a sharp stick, as demonstrated by a forum member who did a head-to-head comparison of the two on video.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I had my Glock 22 at the range a week a go, and FWIW I can hit a 5 inch target at 75 feet with a .380 or 9x18 Mak, but with a G22 that's very questionable, even at 7 yards. The .380 might be a micro caliber to some, but it is an accurate caliber to me. I'd rather put 5 hits in a tartget than 1.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I had my Glock 22 at the range a week a go, and FWIW I can hit a 5 inch target at 75 feet with a .380 or 9x18 Mak, but with a G22 that's very questionable, even at 7 yards. The .380 might be a micro caliber to some, but it is an accurate caliber to me. I'd rather put 5 hits in a tartget than 1.

IMHO

D

That is strange (to me). I have to practice a lot to keep a whole magazine inside a 5" circle at anything past 30 feet with my LCP. Yet, I can be all around the bulls eye at 75 feet, with my G20.

I know the .380 can be quite accurate when fired from a larger platform, but if you go larger than an LCP, you can have a 9x19, which is superior to a .380 or 9x18.
    dbrow6272 wrote: »

Then why carry it only in the summer? Just curious. This from a guy who carries a full size 1911 during the summer or a LCR 357 if I'm hurting or feeling lazy.
  • dbrow6272dbrow6272 New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I generally wear t shirts in the hot days of summer and the P238 hides very well. I am confident in my ability to place a few shots in any vital area if needed. Like I said with today's ammo, loads, projectiles a 380 is a good defense gun.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." TR
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    My 2 main carry guns are a SR9c or a SP101 3" but I always have my LCP in my right hip pocket.

Seems no mater what someone's choice of defence arm is someone is going to tell him that he is wrong.
    Some say if it doesn't start with a 4 it's to small,some say that a 5 or 6 shot revolver is not enough rounds,and then there are those that swear that a .410 is lacking enough power to get the job done.
    Working in the EMS field for the past 25 years I have seen many gunshot victims.
    I have seen one .22lr kill and several .45acp to the torso not kill.
    It all comes down to shot placement.......Period!

Personaly,I say carry what ya want,practice with what ya carry.And if you are comfortable with your choice then that's all that matters.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs