Back in early....

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
Had to come in last night. ....Water was scarce and that hurt bad, I was about of Purification tabs, and I had a near encounter with a adolescent black bear. The first bear I came across ran like he was on fire. This one was about 50ft away and started the back and forth pace to show me how big he was. I stood still and raised my arms above my head with my walking stick and tried to look bigger. After a few he snorted and walked off...most animals I saw were camera shy or I didn't have my camera ready. I saw turkey, squirrel, chipmunk, deer (huge!!), bear, hawk, owl, red headed woodpecker, snake, salamander, and man.

lessons learned....

1. Water is heavy at 8lbs/gallon. It hurts to hump 1.5 at a time.
2. Sleeping pads will never be optional again.
3. I am old
4. Better food than Raman and tuna.
5. Get shoes that do not allow you to feel every rock on the path.
6. at >2500, 50lbs and 15 miles a day is a hump in rough terrain.
7. I am old
8. unless I wanna work for National Geo, just take a point and shoot camera
9. still not friendly to snakes.
10. be prepared for cold, even at the end of june
11. I am old
12.talking to yourself is okay. answering your own questions is not.
13. I will do this again.

Pictures will come up later...
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Wait

Wait

wait

Your going to get older.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,049 Senior Member
    ANY encounter with an animal that can EAT you will always be when you are un-armed. You can always blind them with your flash camera, I saw Donald Duck so that in a cartoon.
    http://www.timsah.com/Donald-Duck-Grand-Canyonscope-1954/erP0QMY1IGb
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,528 Senior Member
    http://www.tyson.com/Products/Our-Products/Canned-Pouch-Chicken.aspx + http://www.letsmakeknorr.com/Products/1210/Alfredo.aspx + 1/3 c dry milk + tsp butter buds + 2c boiling h20 (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87758 + http://www.poorfish.com/p-18178-optimus-terra-weekend-cook-set-anodized-aluminum-95-liter.aspx?shoppingcode=bing)

at home, combine dry milk, butter buds, and contents of alfredo pack in a 1 qt ziplock. In field, boil water, add aflredo, and chicken, bring to boil, simmer for about 3 min, cover and let stand for about 7-10 min.

VM don't lose no weight on camp trips. :up:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___55812 I have the pro, but it normally takes care of a bunch of scouts.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Enzo, I had no idea that it would get into the 40's while I was up there. That morning I had to get up at around 0600, maybe a little before, and start a fire...I couldn't stop shaking. That hour before the dawn, the temp dropped like another 5-10 degrees easy. I was huddled in my bag with the poncho over me trying to suck up warmth for about an hour...
    I shoot with an older Canon rebel. I took my 18-55mm kit lens and a super telephoto. That was a lot of extra weight. I weighed them when I got home and that was about three pounds I could have cut.
    I think I used everything I took with the exception of three extra Caribeaner. My tent was a eureka solo tent...it actually had some weight to it. but I liked it.
    In my pack I had:
    12 x quart ziplocks with tuna and ramen (aluminum foil tuna, not can)
    6 x breakfast bars
    6 x socks
    1 x dryfit t-shirt (tan issue)
    1x pair of cargo shorts
    1 x summer sleeping bag (issue)
    1 x 1man tent
    1 x small folding e-tool (lighter than issue)
    1 x benchmade sheath knife
    1 x can of Off
    1 x cruxlite camp stove w/pot
    1x msr fuel can
    3 x plastic fork
    1x toothbrush w/travel tooth paste
    3x lighters
    1x solo charger ( goal zero...awesome product)
    1x canon rebel with 2 lens
    1 x kindle
    1 x pillow
    2 x 3l camelbaks full
    30 x katadyn micropur tabs
    2 x swiss seat ropes ( issue )
    1 x half roll TP
    1 x water proof bag
    2x petz headlamps
    1x springfield 1911 W/ 7 jacked softnose 230gr rounds.

It seems like a lot, but I used it all at one point or another...

I think the pillow is what put me over the top...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Had to come in last night. ....

Where are you, Alaska?? Jeez, I wouldn't camp in my own backyard with less than that, and I'm 30 miles west of DC!

Oh wait... nevermind........
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,528 Senior Member
    12 x quart ziplocks with tuna and ramen (aluminum foil tuna, not can) :vomit:
    6 x breakfast bars
    6 x socks
    1 x dryfit t-shirt (tan issue)
    1x pair of cargo shorts
    1 x summer sleeping bag (issue)
    1 x 1man tent
    1 x small folding e-tool (lighter than issue)
    1 x benchmade sheath knife
    1 x can of Off
    1 x cruxlite camp stove w/pot
    1x msr fuel can
    3 x plastic fork
    1x toothbrush w/travel tooth paste
    3x lighters
    1x solo charger ( goal zero...awesome product)
    1x canon rebel with 2 lens
    1 x kindle
    1 x pillow
    2 x 3l camelbaks full
    30 x katadyn micropur tabs
    2 x swiss seat ropes ( issue )
    1 x half roll TP
    1 x water proof bag
    2x petz headlamps
    1x springfield 1911 W/ 7 jacked softnose 230gr rounds.

It seems like a lot, but I used it all at one point or another...

I think the pillow is what put me over the top...
    Try those 3 dry bags at Wally World for about 10 bucks. The green one will hold ALL you clothes and double as a pillow. The red on holds my hammock and straps, and the blue one gets phone, clock (if I bring one), PS camera and MP3 player. Would probably cover a DSLR + don't know about a telephoto lens.
    One of those Fiskar garden tools can replace that Etool, composite, light.
    Get a bottle of Scope outlast (little spray bottle) instead of tooth paste. 4 squirts and brush the funky out.
    If you can get water, get the filter. Its worth the weight.
    1C quaker oats with some raisins and brown sugar and a tbsp of dry milk in a qt freezer bag makes a chilly morning a bit better.
    In the bottom of the pack lives a fleece pullover, nothing exciting. It has been used more than I ever thought it would be. If you can find a silk balaclava http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=752327&WT.z_mc_id1=43000000110934424&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=bing|mec_Performance+Underwear_Silk|USA&rid=20&pcrid=356224593&sadid=44000000003201253 they are great for cool nights
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    The only occasion I want to spend my time in the mountains is on a twisty mountain road on my motorcycle, but if you can hike and sleep out there, I respect that. For now and evermore...I'm too old.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!