For those who eat beef, pork, and chicken

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 26,106 Senior Member
The drought we're in now is having the same effect the one in the 80's had on producers. Hay is not growing, pastures are drying up and not providing feed, and corn and other feed grains will be in very short supply if the drought continues. Cattle and hog producers are already selling off young calves and pigs early, and getting rid of breeding stock to reduce the numbers to levels the land will support. Short term effect is that this will cause a large supply of both to hit the supermarkets. Don't expect a break on pricing, though.

Long term, the diminished supply will cause sharp rises in prices as demand will exceed supply. Chicken will cost more as the price for feed for them will increase due to the reduced feed available and an inevitable increase in price for the feed.

And ethanol fuel feed stock will be sharply reduced, so that will probably cause an increase in price for it, and the gasoline into which it is blended.

If you have a chest or upright freezer in the house, I'd suggest filling it up now as finances allow. If you don't, buy one and start filling it up. From what information I'm getting, this drought will cause some sharp price increases by this fall or earlier same as the one in the 80's did.

I'm just a little ray of sunshine today, but you need to know what is coming if the drought continues, and have a chance to cut your losses on meat prices.
If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads-up on the prodution turmoil we're due to see. All the more reason to make sure score this coming hunting season!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    tennmike is spot on....we're not seeing the sell-offs here as of yet, but a few more weeks of these temps and no rain - well it will be a repeat of last year, where we saw round-the-clock convoys of bull-haulers heading for the big feed lots.

Seems that everyone around here is putting up tons of wheat straw as a hedge against a shortage feed...(the stuff can be treated to make acceptable forage)....

For us...beef isn't a problem, but we're in the process of loading up on pork and chicken...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I'll just have to hunt more and start fishing again. Clean will have to learn to eat real food.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Droughts are geographical.
    There's an excess of rain in the S.E., there's a shortage of water in the west. Tomorrow, it may be the opposite.
    If we listened to the media, we'd all be in a panic.
    I refuse to listen to the doomsayers, Mother Nature can even things out in a hurry.
    Jim
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    I refuse to listen to the doomsayers, Mother Nature can even things out in a hurry.
    Jim

You do that Bub....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    There's an excess of rain in the S.E., there's a shortage of water in the west. Tomorrow, it may be the opposite.
    Jim

I live in East TN which is considered part of the S.E.
    Now listen up real close so I don't have to repeat myself. It hasn't rained a drop here in nearly three weeks. The ground is as dry as a popcorn fart. Rainfall is way below normal in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, too. Exceptions are SE Georgia and FL from TS Debby. The spring rains didn't come as normal, and rainfall has been way less than normal. The WHOLE of the U.S. is seeing drought conditions. So just what part of the SE are you referring to that is getting excess rainfall.

Don't know what media to which you're referring. I get my information from the stock market, as in cattle and hog sales nationwide, and from a couple of farm radio programs that report on market conditions. I also listen to the long range forecasts for weather patterns on the same radio programs. There is no projected break in the system now squatting over the U.S. that is causing the drought conditions anytime soon.

So I don't care if you believe it or not. The conditions are on track for another hot dry drought over the U.S. and the rise in food prices as a result.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Im just gonna go lube my log splitter now.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    One thing to remember Mike: While FL and SE GA have gotten a bit of a reprieve, the multi-year drought means that the water's so dry that what water we got is going to percolate through the ground right fast and return water levels to low toot-sweet.
    Overkill is underrated.
    bml wrote: »
    Im just gonna go lube my log splitter now.
    With transmission fluid?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    With transmission fluid?

Heck with that! I'm gonna use WHALE OIL!

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I'll just have to hunt more and start fishing again. Clean will have to learn to eat real food.

Best solution ever
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

How about K-Y Jelly?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    cpj wrote: »
    No. KY is water based and will cause rust. Some mechanic you are!

KY does, however, work great as a make shift lube for grooved couplings.

Teach wrote: »
    How about K-Y Jelly?
    Jerry

Nah, I'd have to use a paint brush to spread it on the I-beam if I used that. I can just pour the whale oil on the I-beam and call it good! :tooth:
    Might entertain the idea of seal oil if I could get a bucket of it, though.

cpj wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder just WHAT a sprinkler fitter is doing that he has ready access to KY. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust sayin'.

Actually, I was repairing a leaking coupling in a hospital. I had the coupling, but no coupling grease. The rubber gasket that fits between the coupling and the pipe is generally referred to as just a "rubber", so I asked the building maintenance man if he had something I could use to lube my rubber. :tooth: He offered the KY since the hospital had tubes of it in just about every room.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Good advice, tenn. Sadly, for me, living alone and in a modest apartment, stocking up means that I've got more than 2 cans of tuna in the fridge or 3 frozen lean-style entrees in the freezer.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Note to self: During the Zombie Apocalypse, swing by and pick up Sam, and don't rely on his food storage... bring extra .45 ammo for him...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    tennmike wrote: »
    We have a whale oil lamp
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    Jim

Yes, there is excess moisture in the SE but our food is mainly produced in the Midwest, there lies the problem.
    We have a whale oil lamp

All I got is some old kerosene lamps. :tissue:
    But I have a couple of those new fangled Coleman double mantle lanterns that run on canned lantern fuel. And one that runs on kerosene, too.