Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage 342 Range report abbreviated

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,575 Senior Member
After installing a new extractor which apparently wasn't needed, I took to the range the slab-sided, cheap, ugly barrel-banded .22 Hornet rifle with a cheap 3 x 9 Sportview atop the side mounts.

The gun shot four into about a 3/8" hole all toughing and a flyer made the group about an inch and a quarter, using Hornady 35 gr. factory ammo. I was told, which is apparently true, that my former extraction problem was caused by Rem factory ammo, but I thought there was a burr in the chamber and took a diamond hone and rotated it a couple of times. I don't know if was the ammo, but suspect it may have been a little of both.

The reason the session was abbreviated was because we stirred up some yellow jackets. My bud got stung on his trigger finger, right above the fingernail, and was in a lot of pain. Those bastards hurt and keep on hurting.

Still, a 1 1/4" group with a 9X scope, cold, impressed me. I was thinking 2" or so. Not bad for a $220 rifle. If it hadn't been from that flyer (don't know which round caused it) it would be about 1/2". If it was the first round, cold bore could be the problem. Otherwise, could be the scope (hard to center the diamond on low power) or it could be me. I felt one go off high, I though, but this one was low.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies