Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report: A steamy visit to the range yesterday.

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It was humid on Fort Hood and getting hot, as usual. I went out about 0800 to beat the heat best I could. The range is covered overhead where the shooting benches are. Helps not being in the direct sun.

Took out the following:

Marlin model 60 ammo: .22 LR Winchester 555 bulk
Marlin Model 883 .22 Magnum CCI 40 FMJ
Rem 700 .223 ammo: Hornady 52 grain BTHP over 24.5 grains of "Data Powder" A 2230
Mosin Nagant Hex receiver (1926) "Izzy Dragoon" 7.62X54R :ammo 174 grain BTHP .311 diameter reloads 41.5 grains Varget
Yugo 24/47 8mm Mauser 175 grain PSP privi partizan bullets 42 grains of H-4895 powder

As you can see, I don't load these old war horses (Mauser and MN) to the Max, but in the middle or low-end of the scale. Easier on me and the guns.

For some odd reason the Marlin and others were shooting left. The scope was tight and the only change was the ammo, from Remington to Winchester? I can't remember. It wasn't very windy, at all from what I've had out there before. I was shooting @ 50 yards and only had to change the targets, not the board/stand.

Biggest problem was my glasses keep fogging up, especially as I got behind the scoped rifles. I haven't had this kind of problem since I left Fort Stewart where it is very humid. I keep having to remove my glasses and wipe them on my shirt. I have to remember to get some anti-fog glass wipes. Some shots were so blurred I had to hurry before my Mr Magoo's got completely fogged over again.

Everything did OK, but the surprise was how well the .223 loads performed. I had been loading some .223 using 55 grain FMJs for my Ruger Ranch Rifle and left the powder drop the same on my Dillon RL550B. Again, a little left and to the bottom of the bulls-eye. 50 yards ain't no great shakes for a Model 700, I know, but was a compromise range I decided on for all the rifles.

That's that MTM crappy rest I bought that Dan Johnson said was worse than no rest at all on the old forum and they took off their jackets in winter to use to zero their rifles, rather than use it before a hunt.:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: It's better than nothing or leaking sandbags, but works great as a stand to clean rifles! :roll2::roll2::roll2:

The model 60, as you can see, was shooting left (top-left of target), then I adjusted/over-adjusted/re-adjusted?????
Maybe a slight crosswind????

New Blackberry, so I ain't figured all the camera functions out yet. I have better pics of those rifles someplace.
Oh, that's about 25 shots with the Rem 700 .223. Dang, it shot left too? I did a couple right clicks on the scope on it, it just ob- longed the one hole. I stopped before it opened it up more.

IMG-20110731-00007.jpg

IMG-20110731-00008-1.jpg

IMG-20110731-00012.jpg

IMG-20110731-00011.jpg

IMG-20110731-00010-1.jpg

IMG-20110731-00009.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Glad you got out. Shooting in the heat and humidity kinda sucks, don't it?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Glad you got out. Shooting in the heat and humidity kinda sucks, don't it?

It sure does.:agree:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Heat has been bad this summer, I've been shooting right alone; but, mostly 10-15 rnds per session.
    I can deal with the heat, but when my glasses fog up because of the humidity to where I can't see................it sucks:buff2:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Shooting in the humidity and heat does suck and the barrel heats up quick and takes a long time to come back down to at least warm. :hand:
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    That's why us F-classers use the Wal-Mart bubble machine between matches to cool the barrel down.
  • LOLLOL Member Posts: 41 Member
    OLD far- cann't see any way, And you have spent time at fort swampy, you should be use to the heat.
    What powder was used with the 223, cann't read what on the target.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    That's why us F-classers use the Wal-Mart bubble machine between matches to cool the barrel down.

Pegasus, can't remember and been meaning to ask. Do you run your tubing through ice water before it blows into the action/barrel? Just curious.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Big Chief, looks like the .223 and the .22 RFs are shooting pretty good even if you had to contend with the fogged glasses. I have that problem here in TN with the glasses fogging over. Haven't tried it yet, but they make battery powered fans that might help with the fogging glasses. Having it blow from the side across your face might slow down the condensation on your glasses.
    ― Douglas Adams
    TM, no I don't. Just letting the air flow through seems to be good enough. I don't want to get too complicated and the stuff has to fit in my shooting box; sometimes we go from yardline to yardline.

Battery powdered fans are de rigueur on those days.
    TM, no I don't. Just letting the air flow through seems to be good enough. I don't want to get too complicated and the stuff has to fit in my shooting box; sometimes we go from yardline to yardline.

Battery powdered fans are de rigueur on those days.

Just curious about the ice water bath for the tubing. Never seen one of your type matches so didn't know if it was doable. I see benchresters do that on hot days, though. They seem to carry everything including the kitchen sink nowadays.
    Those battery powered fans are kinda neat. :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    From the thread title, I thought maybe Mrs. Chief went to the range with you in something a bit revealing, I am always afraid to open your threads, I keep the mental Windex by the computer:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    From the thread title, I thought maybe Mrs. Chief went to the range with you in something a bit revealing, I am always afraid to open your threads, I keep the mental Windex by the computer:tooth:.

Who do ya thunk I am....................cpj :jester:

Then again, shooting and guns is kinda sexy:love:, don't you think:guns:
    LOL wrote: »
    OLD far- can't see any way, And you have spent time at fort swampy, you should be use to the heat.
    What powder was used with the 223, cann't read what on the target.

It's a Data Powder from Accurate Arms, 2230-C. I think they used it in development of their AA-2230 line of powder or a Military surplus contract powder. I think the "C" stands for Contract. It is very close, almost the same as their regular 2230 is now. I inherited an 8 lb jug of it and another kind of AA from one of my brothers. I've have pretty good luck with it. It's supposedly slightly slower than 2230.

They say use the load data for AA 2460.

There is some load data right on the jugs label for 55 grain FMJ, so I ain't guessing, shootin in the dark so to speak. One of our forum members (from AZ) sent me some data on it or a link to data, as well.

" 2230 – Fast-burning, double-base, spherical rifle propellant. This versatile powder was designed around the .223 Remington, but can be used in many small and medium caliber cartridges. 2230 also works well in big straight-wall cartridges. Ideal for progressive loading."

A few months ago one forum said Natchez had it on sale for $60 for 8 lbs and another place for $90. Now that I've found it works good, they probably won't offer it anymore.:bang:
    Fortunately it usually doesn't get that humid in this part of Texas, so it's not an everyday problem for me. It does suck when it happens on the range, though.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    BigChief, I can attest to the fact that here in Las Cruces, NM this summer its "Hotter than a goats butt in a pepper patch" and Thats hot!!!!!!!!!!! I have a Marlin model 60 to and when I take it to the range, its gets hot from the sun, and shooting. Mine will do the same thing yours does, except the patterns of mine are to the left. I let it cool off and its a right reasonable accurate little rifle... I have also noticed that when my .243 and .270 and 22-250 gets hot either from the ambient temp. or shooting rounds, the accuracy decreases a little too, and I am sure this would hold true for my 7mm and 30-06 etc. etc. Friday when I was shooting the rifles, I let them cool down, and the groups and accuracy came back. Here in the south west it is extremly hot this summer.... I used to hand load for a .223 and used that ammo in a mini-14, and a buddy of mine let me use it in his AR-15. I used the BL- (C)-2 powder, it worked good! My mini-14 ain't got the accuracy your .223 got, but my buddy's AR-15 did.
    "It is what it is":usa:

Pegasus, I am curious, what this all about? Thanks!
    Shooting in the humidity and heat does suck and the barrel heats up quick and takes a long time to come back down to at least warm. :hand:

Ya got that right beartracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NN wrote: »
    Heat has been bad this summer, I've been shooting right alone; but, mostly 10-15 rnds per session.

The heat has been bad here in the NM southwest this summer, also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:
    Pegasus, I am curious, what this all about? Thanks!

Funny I was asked the same question privately. Rather than retype the whole thing let me just paste my answer.

The Walmart bubble machine is in fact a portable bait aerator. It's a little box with a battery powered pump with about a two foot hose that one would use to oxygenate a bucket of minnows. It's got a porous stone at the end of the tube that you drop in the bucket of water with the minnows. I simply remove that stone and I tape the tube into rod bore guide which I then stick in my rifle at the end of a match (22 rounds.) I turn on the little machine and the rifle in a rifle rack now has an air current going up its bore, acting like a chimney. It cools the bore much faster in my opinion.

What another member was talking about was having the air hose in a bucket of ice water to chill the air as it's going through the hose, but that would require a longer hose (any aquarium store would have that), a bucket and ice water. That last part is kind difficult, lest I bring a cooler just for that. I have not reached that point yet.

Walmart sells all manners of battery powered fans and that just helps to cool me down, but you can also use them to cool down the action externally. You can find the bubble machine at Walmart in the fishing section, mine is a little white one about 6-8 inches high and 3-4 inches wide. It runs on 2 D cells and it cost me less than $10.
  • irondukeironduke Member Posts: 143 Member
    I know what you mean about the heat, bro. When I left the range here in Fort Worth today at noon, it was 104 degrees! My ammo showed some sticky extraction in this heat, and it takes forever for the barrel to cool between groups!

On another note, the rifle rest doesn't look like something that would help much. But it's not as bad as your range bag, plainly visible in the last photo!! LOL!! Still, I know it takes some guts to carry that bag to the range. LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    ironduke wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the heat, bro. When I left the range here in Fort Worth today at noon, it was 104 degrees! My ammo showed some sticky extraction in this heat, and it takes forever for the barrel to cool between groups!

That sticky extraction is the exact reason I choose to use Varget in my match rifles; temperature insensitivity.
    ironduke wrote: »

On another note, the rifle rest doesn't look like something that would help much. But it's not as bad as your range bag, plainly visible in the last photo!! LOL!! Still, I know it takes some guts to carry that bag to the range. LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It wuz voted the cutest range bag they have seen in a while:hand::rotflmao: Now I need to get a shirt made to match so I can look like a Kansas City er....... gay person. Think Blazing Saddles when Slim rides up on them singing Camp Town Ladies:jester:

It's one of Mrs Chief's tote bags I had to clear off the table to make room for gun pics and cleaning.:guns:

Then again, my range bags do get heavy, I need some smaller ones. Bullsi had to help me carry one at the TX shoot.
    Funny I was asked the same question privately. Rather than retype the whole thing let me just paste my answer.

The Walmart bubble machine is in fact a portable bait aerator. It's a little box with a battery powered pump with about a two foot hose that one would use to oxygenate a bucket of minnows. It's got a porous stone at the end of the tube that you drop in the bucket of water with the minnows. I simply remove that stone and I tape the tube into rod bore guide which I then stick in my rifle at the end of a match (22 rounds.) I turn on the little machine and the rifle in a rifle rack now has an air current going up its bore, acting like a chimney. It cools the bore much faster in my opinion.

What another member was talking about was having the air hose in a bucket of ice water to chill the air as it's going through the hose, but that would require a longer hose (any aquarium store would have that), a bucket and ice water. That last part is kind difficult, lest I bring a cooler just for that. I have not reached that point yet.

Walmart sells all manners of battery powered fans and that just helps to cool me down, but you can also use them to cool down the action externally. You can find the bubble machine at Walmart in the fishing section, mine is a little white one about 6-8 inches high and 3-4 inches wide. It runs on 2 D cells and it cost me less than $10.

Thanks Pegasus!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 10.00 dollars or so,,,,,,, and to rig something that will cool the chamber and barrel on my rifles in this heat, at the range,,, I will check into that!!!
    Unless your rifle is in formal dress and has a jacket, the barrel will cool by transferring its heat to the atmosphere (and by radiation also, but that's minimal.) Now consider this; if you think the outside of the barrel is hot, can you imagine what the bore must be like? Left alone, the barrel will cool from the outside in. If you put your rifle in a rack with the muzzle pointing up, with the bolt open or removed, you will get some air movement in the bore because warm air rises. The air movement from the pump is probably measured in (few) cubic inches per minute, but by using the bubble machine, I believe it enhances the overall cooling effect by helping cool from the inside.

I have noticed that my very heavy barreled match rifles seem to cool down faster than my fellow competitors' rifles that do not get the same bubble treatment. This is terribly unscientific but I'm happy with my process, and it's not difficult to set up.

I do know of people who throw wet towels on barrels to cool them down, and I'm sure that works too, but I would be hesitant to pour water in the chamber and bore. I like the gentler appraoch to cooling.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    The heat is bad every summer down here. I hate summer and winter more and more the older I get. I love early Spring and later fall. I love temperatures from about 50-75 F. And I especially love this temperature range when I'm shooting. Then you don't have to worry as much about extreme temperature change messing with your load's ballistics. For instance, I have a load I worked up for my .280 Rem. in a 98 Mauser action. I worked it up from the middle of September until well in to October. In its finished form it consists of a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet over 56 grains of IMR 4831 and was averageing about 2990 FPS with a few rounds going over the magic 3,000 FPS. I used it hunting that year, and had no problems. Took one hog with it. Then as summer came back around, I took that rifle back to the range in 90 degree heat. I shot it through the chrony and it registered an average 3050 FPS, with a couple rounds getting close to 3,100 FPS, which I feel may have been pushing the presssure envelope a little there. The bolt seemed like it wanted to be a little sticky and looking at the primers did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I didn't back off of that load as it wasn't being inaccurate or acting inconsistent like a load that's too hot, but I don't think I want to push it over where it is now and am careful when I drop powder for it.

Also, my Mosin (Which btw I haven't shot yet) and my Yugo Mausers, I am not afraid to push a little. They are both very strong actions. Now an SMLE, an older design Mauser, or maybe something like an Italian Carcano or some other weak design, I would be way more cautious with. But the Yugo and the Mosin have massive locking lugs and are made of good steel and both have a safety lug on the bolt (The Mosin's bolt handle acts that part). The .280 mentioned above is made on a really old 98 action and it's strong as Fort Knox and as you can see by what I wrote, I don't baby it. Just my opinion. However I won't argue with your judgment on this because it's always better to stay on the safe side.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I do know of people who throw wet towels on barrels to cool them down, and I'm sure that works too, but I would be hesitant to pour water in the chamber and bore. I like the gentler appraoch to cooling.]

I have to agree with ya Pegasus,, I don't really like that idea either,, cold towels might work for me in addition to the air pump. I do use the "hot water" method on my BP guns.
    The heat is bad every summer down here. I hate summer and winter more and more the older I get. I love early Spring and later fall. I love temperatures from about 50-75 F

I am begining to feel that way too Snake I used to love the summer, and hate the cold winter, but as I am getting older and older,,,,,^^^^^^ is perfect.. Its been hotter here in southern NM and Texas than in Hawaii this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess we might have to start labeling our reloads "For summer use" and " For winter use"
    The forecast is 102 degrees on Sunday during the 1000 yard match. I was going to skip it but the nationals are next month and I need the practice. As it is, I skipped last month's match because of conflicting events with my daughters. It's going to be hot, you bet. I will have a huge cooler with lots of ice and gallons of Gatorade. Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses are a must. It's not too bad on the firing line because there is a cover, but it's rough in the pits due to the lack of shade.

Note to self, bring extra batteries for the bubble machine and the portable fan. I may even bring a popup shelter.