Home Main Category General Firearms

J.C. Higgins 101.1 questions.

steffen19ksteffen19k MemberPosts: 255 Member
I have a J.C. Higgins Model 101.1 singlebarrel, single action, break-open shotgun with a 36 inch shot-only barrel. Since I got it, I've fed it #8 Bird and it really seems to like that.

The only thing I can find that seems to resemble a serial number is the letter L and 4 digits, on both the barrel and the reciever.
Also, on the right side of the reciever, above the trigger guard is the scripted stamping "Model 94C"

I'd like to try and find out more about it, if thats possible, and pics will follow soon.
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    It's a Savage 94. Should be plenty of ino on it on google. Serial numbers on all guns wasn't a requirement until 1968 or thereabouts.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    This it??acfde46.jpg
    Like Gene said, a Savage 94. Numrich Arms has a manufacturor crooss reference chart.
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    This it??acfde46.jpg
    Like Gene said, a Savage 94. Numrich Arms has a manufacturor crooss reference chart.

Hmmm.... Interesting...

So what is there worth knowing about a Savage 94? And is that pic one of yours, Big Al?
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Just a picture I found online. There's really nothing special about a 94. MANY were sold through hardware stores and outfits like Sears.
    Probably worth max $60. They were great "barn guns" and first guns for a lot of youngsters.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If it's got a 36" barrel it's probably full choke, and might be chambered for 3" magnum shells. It was a poor man's goose gun. Unless it's marked somewhere as having a 3" chamber, don't attempt to shoot that length shell. Some 2 3/4" chambers will accept a 3" shell, but the crimp doesn't have enough room to flatten out completely. It's sort of like shooting through a funnel, and the kick is horrendous! Even some of the older "3 inch" guns were short-chambered, intended for roll-crimped shells. A modern star-crimped shell has the same inability to open fully. Ditto for some older 2 3/4" chambers, which have the same trouble with star-crimp shells.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    If it's got a 36" barrel it's probably full choke, and might be chambered for 3" magnum shells. It was a poor man's goose gun. Unless it's marked somewhere as having a 3" chamber, don't attempt to shoot that length shell. Some 2 3/4" chambers will accept a 3" shell, but the crimp doesn't have enough room to flatten out completely. It's sort of like shooting through a funnel, and the kick is horrendous! Even some of the older "3 inch" guns were short-chambered, intended for roll-crimped shells. A modern star-crimped shell has the same inability to open fully. Ditto for some older 2 3/4" chambers, which have the same trouble with star-crimp shells.
    Jerry

Actually, the gun is very clearly marked as having a 2.75" chamber, forged steel barrel, and its got a full length taper from bore to muzzle. Another guy who saw it Identified it as a "modified" but the terminology is lost on me. Like I said, it seems to really enjoy the taste of #8 birdshot. And I'm not really after prime performance. The most ammo I put through a gun is maybe 5 or 6 rounds in a Month, IF I'm feeling like I need to blast something. Otherwise its a wall hanger.
    If you look under the handguard, it may have a "M" somewhere, which is for modified. Lots of them were. Then there's the dime test, which isn't totally reliable, but will do in a pinch. If a dime won't go in the barrel sideways, it's probably a full. If it goes in barely, it's modified.
    Gene L wrote: »
    If you look under the handguard, it may have a "M" somewhere, which is for modified. Lots of them were. Then there's the dime test, which isn't totally reliable, but will do in a pinch. If a dime won't go in the barrel sideways, it's probably a full. If it goes in barely, it's modified.

How 'bout that... the dime won't even come close to fitting. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    "
    steffen19k wrote: »
    I have a J.C. Higgins Model 101.1 singlebarrel, single action, break-open shotgun with a 36 inch shot-only barrel. Since I got it, I've fed it #8 Bird and it really seems to like that.

The only thing I can find that seems to resemble a serial number is the letter L and 4 digits, on both the barrel and the reciever.
    Also, on the right side of the reciever, above the trigger guard is the scripted stamping "Model 94C"

I'd like to try and find out more about it, if thats possible, and pics will follow soon.

I have a 1967 Stevens 94F 12Ga. bought new by my wife, and it has a 3" chamber. looks like that gun is a Savage/Stevens 94C action with a J.C.Higgins barrel fitted. Both are made by the same Co. so they will interchange. With both model #'s from the factory, it would be rare. unless barrel from a J.C. Higgins was indeed fitted. Still a good shooter and here will bring about $100.00-$125.00. I sold a Stevens 20ga. the other day for $90.00 because I knew the boy that bought it..Again, with both model#'s it could bring a little more. As Gene stated, No serial numbers on these.Stevens made the 94 from 1936-1961,The 94c was made from 1961- date.(1990) book. I know they are not made today. Mine is priceless to me..They didn't come with a recoil pad and some can kick a little, being so light.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    This it??acfde46.jpg

Big Al, the pic looks just like my 94F except no recoil pad and mine is 30" full choke. Wife bought mine new in Dec.1967 for $38.00.
    steffen19k wrote: »
    How 'bout that... the dime won't even come close to fitting. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.

That's assuming it's a 12 ga. which is I admit a pretty chancy assumption.
    It sez 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch on the barrel. And considering I have box of #8 birdshot (and an empty casing in the breech as I write this) I'm pretty sure its not 10 gauge, or 410 gauge.

Would a pic of the dime in the muzzle help??
    No. If the dime won't go in, it's a full choke. Most likely.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    OH Man!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned a lot of these type shotguns in my life,, ya can't go wrong with these, good affordable, made for a lot of different retails, stores.. Great for the price!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • TbootsTboots Posts: 4 New Member
    I have one in 357 mag does anyone have any info on them and about what the sell far dont wanna sell if just cant find any info 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 17 #19
    Tboots said:
    .357 mag.

What are the barrel markings?

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    Never seen one but if it's a single shot .357 mag it looks like a right handy little rifle.  I would not sell it.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I do believe tennmike made a couple of them, with different pistol chambering but he does know who made the conversions.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:

I do believe tennmike made a couple of them, with different pistol chambering but he does know who made the conversions.

I fired one of Mike's guns.  Diver owns it and it is a SWEET little gun that put a smile on my face.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    TennMike does great work.  He took a beater 20 gauge and turned it into a prized possession.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited June 17 #24
    That is nice.
    What cal?
    Is that H&R?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    Yes it was a H&R 20 gauge, it is now a  357Mag.
    I don't know how Mike does it, but with the late BigChiefs hand loads it is super accurate at 75 yards.  Wish I had a few hundred of those loads
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,285 Senior Member
    I have them in .44 Mag., .357 Mag., .32 H&R Mag., .45 Colt, and ,45 ACP., and the first one was a conversion to .38-55. They were made on H&R and other single shot shotgun actions.  
    Top to bottom, .38-55, ./44 Mag., .357 Mag., and .32 H&.R Mag.
    Also have a Marlin .22 Mag. magazine fed rifle converted to centerfire and 25 ACP chambering.  That's a fun little rifle to shoot, too. 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    AlleyCat said:
    That is nice.
    What cal?
    Is that H&R?
    Best I remember it was an H&R and in .20 gauge for sure. 
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    I have them in .44 Mag., .357 Mag., .32 H&R Mag., .45 Colt, and ,45 ACP., and the first one was a conversion to .38-55. They were made on H&R and other single shot shotgun actions.  
    Top to bottom, .38-55, ./44 Mag., .357 Mag., and .32 H&.R Mag.
    Also have a Marlin .22 Mag. magazine fed rifle converted to centerfire and 25 ACP chambering.  That's a fun little rifle to shoot, too. 

I remember that picture.
    Always meant to ask, did you ever think about a .357 Max, shotgun firing pin not notwithstanding?

Here's the only .25 ACP repeater I know of. Built on the Marlin .22 WMR action.

Modified centerfire bolt head.
    ― Douglas Adams
    AlleyCat said:

I remember that picture.
    Always meant to ask, did you ever think about a .357 Max, shotgun firing pin not notwithstanding?

Let's just say that I have some loads for the .357 Mag. for that one that leave the .357 Max panting in the dust. It's built on a .12 ga, action and my loads are entirely unsafe in ANY revolver. Had no problems with the firing pin hole or primer showing signs of excessive pressure. I have a load for a 180 grain .358 jacketed rifle bullet that is running 1,775 fps, and I won't share that load.
    ― Douglas Adams

tennmike said:
    Here's the only .25 ACP repeater I know of. Built on the Marlin .22 WMR action.

Modified centerfire bolt head.

That is so cool!!!

And just think of all those .270 owners looking for something with just a bit more grunt.

:D