Home Main Category General Firearms

Price check, anyone?

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
Neighbor of mine hauled out a sporterized Remington Model 1917 rifle that looks to be in pretty good condition. The stock is very nice with just a small chip and Remington buttplate and grip cap. Nice checkering job, too. The barrel is a two-groove and the bore looks in good condition. The barrel was shortened so there are no markings on it up near the muzzle. Ramp-type front sight, no rear sight, but has been drilled and tapped. There is a Redfield windage-adjustable scope mount on it now and two holes where a receiver mount apparently was mounted at one time.

I already told him not to expect much out of it since sporterized milsurps have no collector interest and are just old rifles. That said, does anybody have a suggestion as to what he should ask for the piece? I'd be interested in it myself except I don't need another project gun.

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Depending on the quality of the sporterizing job and the overall condition, probably in the $200 to $400 range.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 783 Senior Member
    LGS has a sporterized Winchester 1917 that is a fine job going for $345.00. May help you out as a guide.
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    That's higher than I would have thought but I think he'll be happy about it. No photos available but overall the rifle looks pretty good. I'm guessing somebody re-blued it at one time but did a decent enough job. Using your range of $200 to $400, I'd say this one would be towards the lower end but still more than I expected. Thanks for the assist - I'll pass it on.