Home Main Category Hunting

Forum elk hunt in unit 54 reminder!!!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,887 Senior Member
Those of you who are planning to purchase an either sex tag for the fall forum hunt, tags go on sale at 9 AM on Tuesday.

You can purchase online or by phone

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/Pages/totallicensing.aspx

1-800-244-5613

For those that have never hunted or fished in Colorado, I would suggest logging on and buying your Habit Stamp before Tuesday, this way you will already be entered in the system and it will make purchasing a tag faster. These tags sell out very quickly.

If you get stuck without the either sex tag, there will almost certainly be some left over cow only tags, those will go on sale in August and can also be purchased online or through the phone.

Just a reminder, we are hunting in GMU 054, and will be hunting 2nd Combined Rifle Season.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    You beat me to it, Dan. Good time to post this, as the time is drawing near.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,887 Senior Member
    I almost forgot myself! haha
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Thanks!!!

I had it in my head that it was the 17th for some reason. It woulda passed me right by.

Anyone know, if there's any reason I couldn't have my wife do that for me? She'd have my CID # and all the other stuff.
    don't see why not, especially online
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    I am on it, I hope I can get some good phone reception in Boyscout camp.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Today's the day. The CDOW started taking applications about 45 minutes ago.
    Jerry

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,889 Senior Member
    Have a blast you guys... You all SUCK!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Phone reception was good, I am the proud owner of an either sex tag.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bear tags sold out super fast so didn't get one. Got my elk tag though!
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 548 Senior Member
    I got my otc bull tag this evening online so am good to go!:applause:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    Can we have a show of hands, figuratively speaking, of those who drew an either sex elk tag for GMU 54? I know that MHS and Chiro got one, and that Paul got an OTC bull tag, but that's all I know.
    Jerry

Well it was OTC with caps, so they said here are XXX# of tags. I was actually wondering why they didn't just make it a draw? I mean, the only OTC tag for that season/unit, is this limited OTC either sex tag. Then again they are REALLY trying to reduce the cow herd around Gunnison lately. I know if 551 4th you can have a 2nd cow (private land only, DOW's bright idea to reduce herd numbers, make it impossible to get to them) and 54 has a special month long December cow only season that is a B-tag.

On the very bright side for this hunt...I do believe I have my car sold tomorrow! This means I should be in my 4Runner before the weekend passes, or at the very longest next week. Finally be able to start heading up to the hills to do some scouting on my own and with JB's FIL. I think scouting is going to determine whether I really put the effort out for a bull...or if its going to be brown-its-down type hunting. A big rack is always nice, but at the same time, so is a cow on opening morning....
    Isn't this something????

When Dan and I first started the notion of this hunt about a year ago, everyone and their dog was saying sign me up. Now, we have 3-4 people.

Oh well. I like small camps.
    Jerry

Ha! Saw the one coming ;)

Although some were last minute drop outs that were really a bummer, like Sako and SS3 not being able to make it.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,340 Senior Member
    Ha! Saw the one coming ;)

Although some were last minute drop outs that were really a bummer, like Sako and SS3 not being able to make it.

I'm not 100% out just yet, still hoping for a smooth launch for this new charting system implementation. If it goes well a leftover tag is in my future.

Sako
    I just got back into town, again.

But, I've got my hand raised! My wife hooked me up, got me an either sex tag at 11:05 eastern standard time Tuesday. So, currently, I have two tags. Gotta work on sending the cow tag back.
    I'm a plane ticket and a new pack away from being ready!
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,208 Senior Member
    I've been watching these threads since they started, I'm on the other side of the world and can't wait to see some reports about how the forum hunt went.
    Honestly, it's like I'm going, good luck to all and keep posting.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    SNAKE!!!!

You rolling over, or what, buddy?
    ojr wrote: »
    I've been watching these threads since they started, I'm on the other side of the world and can't wait to see some reports about how the forum hunt went.
    Honestly, it's like I'm going, good luck to all and keep posting.

Owen I am going to try and update the forum during the hunt as I can. There are several places in town with wifi, and with a 9 day season plus a few days on either side of that, we WILL have to make some trips to town for something or other. I'll have my laptop with me, my tablet at the very least, and hopefully we'll be able to just upload pics and such to it and I'll just do some mass uploads.

I'm really looking forward to it! Don't get me wrong, I love the people I hunt with normally, as they're all family, or might as well BE family, but I'm excited about meeting some new friends, and having a great hunt. Especially if Sako can manage to get out here! We've been trying to get him out here hunting with me for like 4 years now.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,208 Senior Member
    Thankyou. I shall watch with much interest.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Well now it appears we will be renting a large cabin in the hunting unit instead of packing in (logistics and comfort over rode the desire to hunt far and deep in) so I'll be able to update a bit more frequently
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Have a blast you guys... You all SUCK!
    If you can't go to CO. try drawing for an Elk here in Kentucky. $10.00 for the draw, 30 for the tag.

05.jpg
    elk5.jpg
    013.jpg
    That's a nice bull, Sarge. Did you take it? I also like the notion of being able to get it loaded in one piece.

My main question, though, is what are the odds of drawing one of those tags?
    Jerry

No, I didn't draw this year, a man I know in the next county shot it and as I understand, his atv would not pull it out so he goes to town and rent a Back hoe to get it to his truck. It was either a 7x7 or8x7. His guide which you do not have to have told him to shoot until it goes down, because if it gets away, it would be realy hard to find. I believe Adam shot 3 time with a 30-06.
    The other pic is when several of us guys went down and rode around looking for elk. That herd you can see had about 150 elk in it. These are free roaming elk and some have been spoted in my area about 2 hours away.Ky has sent elk to MO. VA . All are made possible by the Rockmountain Elk Assoc. I for get what chapter it is here. WE also had 10 bears season the last couple years. These bear are comming in from WVA and Va. You can hunt until 5 sows are killed or 10 bores.
    Jerry, I forgot to answer one of your Questions.. They draw for 800 Elk last year but 900 the year before. Several guy here local have drawn a bull tag or a female. some gets a bow draw and then they let you know what area you are permitted to hunt. One does not have to have a guide if you know the area well.
    FYI, leftover tags go on sale tomorrow. This is for all GMUs/Species/Sexes, etc. that have any leftover tags. I think that there are leftover cow elk tags for 2nd season in GMU 54, but am not sure. It will be a first come, first serve affair. I think the draw starts at 9 a.m. mountain time.

Good luck to all who apply. If you are trying for any sort of elk tag, please post your results here.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    FYI, leftover tags go on sale tomorrow. This is for all GMUs/Species/Sexes, etc. that have any leftover tags. I think that there are leftover cow elk tags for 2nd season in GMU 54, but am not sure. It will be a first come, first serve affair. I think the draw starts at 9 a.m. mountain time.

Good luck to all who apply. If you are trying for any sort of elk tag, please post your results here.

Bump.

Today's the day for you guys who want a leftover tag.
    Jerry

There does not appear to be any leftovers for 054 in the second season so it would seem I am officially out for this year. Have a great time those that do make the hunt. I'm going to go sulk in the corner now.:tissue:

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    There does not appear to be any leftovers for 054 in the second season so it would seem I am officially out for this year. Have a great time those that do make the hunt. I'm going to go sulk in the corner now.:tissue:

Sako

Well that sucks, I would assume that a few hunters have to back out at the last minute and try to send back their tags to the DOW for a refund, what happens to those tags?
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Well that sucks, I would assume that a few hunters have to back out at the last minute and try to send back their tags to the DOW for a refund, what happens to those tags?

Good question, I may give the DOW a call and see if there is a wait list or something. In all likelyhood, it will be up to me to check daily to see if anything has been added.
    What really sucks is the new charting software launch that kept me from commiting earlier has been pushed back to Feb now:angry:

As it is, I will be in Colorado in Oct anyway moving my youngest daughter back out there. Might just bump into you guys.

Sako