Home Main Category Hunting

Forum elk hunt in unit 54 reminder!!!

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,027 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Good question, I may give the DOW a call and see if there is a wait list or something. In all likelyhood, it will be up to me to check daily to see if anything has been added.
    What really sucks is the new charting software launch that kept me from commiting earlier has been pushed back to Feb now:angry:

As it is, I will be in Colorado in Oct anyway moving my youngest daughter back out there. Might just bump into you guys.

Sako

CO DOW has been very pleasant and helpful to deal with, I get the impression that they can get you a tag if it is available, I just don't know how much time they will put in to getting out those few tags that get returned as the season approaches.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,856 Senior Member
    The system updates itself like every few hours, so keep checking. Surprised that all the tags are gone, 40 something people JUMPED on that one, yikes. Keep up on it! If anything I'm sure I'll run into you while you're out here.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    Sako, guys....there's hope.

I have a cow tag, that I'm planning on returning. I've been hanging on to it for this very reason.
    If you can find some way to transfer it, it's yours!
    jbohio wrote: »
    Sako, guys....there's hope.

I have a cow tag, that I'm planning on returning. I've been hanging on to it for this very reason.
    If you can find some way to transfer it, it's yours!

There is hope if you could get a Govt. agency to perform such a specific request.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    It's a no go, either way.

I'll be sending it back.
    It's a no go, either way.

I'll be sending it back.

YOU are not going?
    Heck yes I'm going!!!!
    Sorry I didn't clarify. Sako is out, for sure. So he's a no go, either way.
    I currently have two tags. I got in the cow drawing, just in case I didn't score one of the OTC either sex tags.
    So, I'm sending the cow tag back.
    Heck yes I'm going!!!!
    Sorry I didn't clarify. Sako is out, for sure. So he's a no go, either way.
    I currently have two tags. I got in the cow drawing, just in case I didn't score one of the OTC either sex tags.
    So, I'm sending the cow tag back.

Gotcha, I sent my cow tag back a month ago and still have not gotten my refund, maybe this next week.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,157 Senior Member
    Just to let you guys know, I am still very much interested in tagging along and even being the camp gopher. I don't plan to hunt, but I can prove useful doing other chores, and would even be interested in getting out and play like I'm hunting. Maybe I'll try to shoot a grouse or something.

I know you have reserved a cabin, but I have been holding back on committing because a few have expressed an interest in hunting 521. If any want to do that, and are not able to hunt 54, my plan is to help them in 521. Either way, I hope to tag along on someone's hunt.

Just keep me in mind, please.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    cpj wrote: »
    Jerry = Camp Wench.

I guess that it's a good thing that there are some things we can always depend on. CPJ saying something stupid for example...
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, I am still very much interested in tagging along and even being the camp gopher. I don't plan to hunt, but I can prove useful doing other chores, and would even be interested in getting out and play like I'm hunting. Maybe I'll try to shoot a grouse or something.

I know you have reserved a cabin, but I have been holding back on committing because a few have expressed an interest in hunting 521. If any want to do that, and are not able to hunt 54, my plan is to help them in 521. Either way, I hope to tag along on someone's hunt.

Just keep me in mind, please.

That's great, Jerry. I've been wondering about your plans. I didn't seem quite right that the guy who came up with the idea wasn't coming. I'd sure like to have you as our "guide".
    Anyway, we haven't booked a "cabin", yet. This week, for sure. We've tossed a few ideas around, and right now a ski condo in Crested Butte has the nod. The one I'm looking at has 5 beds, and a sleeper sofa, so there's plenty of room.
    Trying to see if I can find one on the ground floor, hopefully with an exterior door.
    Heck I'll sleep on an inflatable if need be to make space for you Jerry!
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    FYI, I just talked to MosseyBuck. He has already bought his otc 2nd rifle season tag, and plans to hunt gmu 521. Since I have already committed to helping with any who want to hunt but have missed out on tags for gmu 54, I will not be tagging along with you guys. I'll be going with Paul to hunt 521.

My offer is still open to forum members who want to hunt 521.

For those of you who hunt 54, all I can do is wish you the best of luck, and hope to meet you. I have to go right through Crested Butted to get to 521, so maybe we can make arrangements to meet up.
    Jerry

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    FYI, I just talked to MosseyBuck. He has already bought his otc 2nd rifle season tag, and plans to hunt gmu 521. Since I have already committed to helping with any who want to hunt but have missed out on tags for gmu 54, I will not be tagging along with you guys. I'll be going with Paul to hunt 521.

My offer is still open to forum members who want to hunt 521.

For those of you who hunt 54, all I can do is wish you the best of luck, and hope to meet you. I have to go right through Crested Butted to get to 521, so maybe we can make arrangements to meet up.

Jerry, do you hunt north or south of muddy creek? I notice there are tags left over for 521 but the unit is split. I am going to be in Colorado that week helping my daughter settle into her new place so I'm thinking maybe I could get away for a day or two.
    BTW, for anyone else interested, there are aprox 200 tags available in both halves of the unit.

Sako
    Jerry, do you hunt north or south of muddy creek? I notice there are tags left over for 521 but the unit is split. I am going to be in Colorado that week helping my daughter settle into her new place so I'm thinking maybe I could get away for a day or two.
    BTW, for anyone else interested, there are aprox 200 tags available in both halves of the unit.

Sako

Tom, the area I hunt is right along West Muddy Creek. I'll dig my map out to see if that's north or south of Muddy Creek. My guess is that it's north, but let me double check.

[edit]

I checked the leftover license page, and see the following.

EF521O2R 521 197 10/20/12 10/28/12 N of W Muddy Creek E of Colo Hwy 133

and

EF521S2R 521 215 10/20/12 10/28/12 S of W Muddy Creek W of Paonia Reservoir

The area I hunt is north of West Muddy Creek, but West of Colo Hwy 133.

I'm assuming that this is what you are referring to. If not, can you be more specific.

I'm not familiar with the area south of West Muddy, or the area Eas of Colo 133, and usually camp far enough away that it would be a 30-45 minute drive, maybe longer, to get to one of these areas.

Also, I just talked to a DOW guy from Grand Junction and he will email me a map showing the split. If you want me to forward it to you, im me your your emal.
    Jerry

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    That is exactly what I was refering to. I am looking into the agenda while at my daughters and if time permits a couple of days away, I will put in for a tag. So need to know which of the two encompasses your hunt area. A llok at that map would be great. IM to follow.
    Thanks.

Tom
    That is exactly what I was refering to. I am looking into the agenda while at my daughters and if time permits a couple of days away, I will put in for a tag. So need to know which of the two encompasses your hunt area. A llok at that map would be great. IM to follow.
    Thanks.

Tom

I got your IM, and forwarded the map. Unfortunately, it's not a very good map. If you can get your hands on a forest service map of the Gunnison Basin, I can give you a better idea of where we will be. We'll be hunting between West Muddy and East Muddy, and on the west side of Hiway 133. I don't know the areas that leftover tags well enough to know where to hunt.

You're plenty welcome to camp with us and make the drive to one of the areas with left over tags. I wish it was working out better, but sometimes it just doesn't pan out.
    Jerry

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Just a quick "You guys suck!" In another year or two I should be able to join you guys for one of these so I am hoping this becomes an annual or at least occasional event.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Luis I don't know if we'll end up making this a regular event, but as you can see, there are several western state members who would probably be happy to have you fill a seat at the campfire.

I'm getting the feeling, if/when we do another "forum hunt" its going to be Wyoming for antelope in a year or two ;)
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Bank on it. One of these days I'll make it out there for one of these events. Elk hunting in particular is on my bucket list of things to do.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I'm getting the feeling, if/when we do another "forum hunt" its going to be Wyoming for antelope in a year or two ;)

Sounds good to me. I got a score to settle in Wyoming.
  • MacTampaMacTampa New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,

Mike here. Some friends and I from FL were going to hunt with another friend of mine that lives in the Gunnison area this year during the 2nd rifle GMU 54. We all have OTC either sex tags, but unfortunately friend/guide had to change jobs unexpectedly and moved to Washington and won't be able to guide the rest of us. So this leave us setting up a DIY hunt ourselve having never been to the area and to make matters worst none of us have hunted elk before! We do have a couple of areas that my friend showed us, where he has had success last year. Long story but we are still trying to find out as much info as we can before we start. If any one has the time to help please send me a email or PM...Regardless good luck to all....Mike
    MacTampa wrote: »
    Hello,

Mike here. Some friends and I from FL were going to hunt with another friend of mine that lives in the Gunnison area this year during the 2nd rifle GMU 54. We all have OTC either sex tags, but unfortunately friend/guide had to change jobs unexpectedly and moved to Washington and won't be able to guide the rest of us. So this leave us setting up a DIY hunt ourselve having never been to the area and to make matters worst none of us have hunted elk before! We do have a couple of areas that my friend showed us, where he has had success last year. Long story but we are still trying to find out as much info as we can before we start. If any one has the time to help please send me a email or PM...Regardless good luck to all....Mike

Mike, a good start is to call the Gunnison DOW office (970-641-7060) and ask to talk to someone familiar with the area. I spoke to a very nice and knowledgeable lady earlier this year, but don't recall her name. If you use the search feature for replies I made with the word Gunnison in them you should find her name.

I'm not familiar with GMU 54, and will be hunting west of there (GMU 521), so I really can't help a lot. And, I think that most of the folks who will be making the GMU 54 hunt set up here don't know the area all that well. I could be wrong, though. Regardless, talk to the folks who live and work there, as they will be a good source of information.

Good luck.
    Jerry

MacTampa wrote: »
    Hello,

Well, if you have a friend who knows good areas in 54, you're a couple of steps ahead of us. None of us have ever hunted there, either.

Good luck.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    MacTampa, better to create a new thread so all the tips and pointers that will come forth won't get buried in this thread. Many are here to offer free advice to increase your luck......cause you only have a 20% chance anyway!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Well, if you have a friend who knows good areas in 54, you're a couple of steps ahead of us. None of us have ever hunted there, either.

Good luck.

Look again, they won't be having that benefit, and they're going in blind AND inexperienced.....at least some of your party has the experience of the basics.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Look again, they won't be having that benefit, and they're going in blind AND inexperienced.....at least some of your party has the experience of the basics.

I forgot. Welcome back! I knew who it was the first couple posts in your thread.

Yeah. Dan and Bud have hunted elk quite a bit, me a little. I'm hoping they're easier to shoot when they're farther away! I didn't do so well at 22 yards. :bang::bang::bang:
    Lemme tell you what happened to me at 22 yrds.......:tooth: I get dropped off the 4-wheeler and I'm be-bopping down a snow-covered 2-track for about 100 yrd.....rifle slung and still unchambered. I look up and there's 5-7 cows n calfs staring at me not 25 yrds away! We stand there staring at each other for about 10 seconds as I'm thinking if I can pull off a quick-draw and rack a round....needless to say, as soon as I moved a muscle, they lit out up the draw with the afterburners on!

Lesson learned......soon as you're out/off the vehicle....sling comes off, round chambered with safety on soon as you start walking away.....you go hot! :guns:

Have you been scouting the area on the maps yet?
    Dan put us on a google map, but that is mostly just to orientate for me, Dan was going to grab/has grabbed some topo's to go over and some migration and calving paths maps maybe also.
    Google CDOW for the Department Of Wildlife maps, select gmu 54 and that'll show you summer/winter holding patterns and migration routes....word of advice, select the topo maps and look at the areas inbetween. I looked at my area 551, and the area we usually get them in is in that "green zone" inbetween......silly biologist don't know where they're at, you'll have to use the Force and instinct.....food, water, shelter....."and I have a feeling, that if you take a left, they're over there! Gump! where are you going!? Take a left!":tooth: