Home Main Category Hunting

2 Double-Barrels, 2 Days, 2 Skunks

shootershooter Senior MemberPosts: 1,186 Senior Member
The early morning of July 4th, I saw a tiny skunk in my back yard at first light. I watched it for a bit and got dressed to go out and investigate. It was a little after 5 a.m. and by the time I got out back of my house, it scurried around to my front yard. It made it to a large lilac bush and I couldn't locate it right away. I went across the road to my large garage, where I got my Honda Rancher out and rode it back to my front yard. With sufficient "motor revving" and a few toots of the horn, it dashed from the base of the lilac to the hedge that adjoins the front of my house. It's about 15 feet long and is between my house and the sidewalk to my front porch. It is dense enough to hide anything bigger than a golf ball! I was afraid to use the front door all day and only used the back door to my house.

This tiny skunk was obviously very young and I wondered how big a litter of skunks was. Right at dusk, I spotted two tiny skunks scampering around in my neighbor's driveway. I fully hoped that the one I saw earlier in the day was one of these two, so I could start using my front door again.

The early evening of July 5, the neighbor was frantically trying to get my attention and I went out to see what was up. He said there was a skunk in the field behind my big garage. I have two double barreled 12 ga. shotguns that I used for cowboy action shooting back in the nineties (before switching to a Model 97 Winchester pump) and have fired many hundreds of rounds through both over the years. I keep one in my house and one in my workshop in the big garage across the road. They are always out and ready with ammo nearby and are my "go-to" close range "pest" getters.

I shot that skunk at about 15-20 yards, double tap. Dead skunk, no odor. That's important to me. I've had several bad experiences with shooting skunks with rifles within 100 yards of the house. Particularly memorable are larger skunks shot with a .223 AR-15, .222 rem model 788 and even a 17 HMR rimfire. The odor hung around the neighborhood for quite a while, even though I ran the carcass 1/4 mile up the lane to dispose of. Those varmint caliber bullets and high velocities make spectacular kills on prairie dogs, but also make skunks come apart! Not a good thing.

The ones I shoot with a shotgun (#7 1/2 or # 8 shot) have not had an odor signature in my experience. I always hit both triggers in rapid succession. Not quite a "double-tap", but sort of. I'm fearful that if it lingered for a bit, it might spray its load before dying.

This morning I saw the other one in my back yard at about 5 a.m. and grabbed the other double-gun from my house and went out back. When I got to within about 20 yards, another double-tap laid another one to rest. No muss, no fuss, no smell. I don't really consider this "hunting", but didn't know which forum it would best fit into. My "Critter Hearse" has hauled lots of critters from medium to small sized deer on down to smaller vermin and coyotes. The front and back panels are removable and I've hauled deer with the head and neck tied to the tongue and the back legs sticking out the back and dragging on the ground.

It was a good 4th of July in my back yard.:up:

skunkssm.jpg
There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,844 Senior Member
    You should move down here, we don't have skunks locally.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Great pics and neat trailer. Not much on killing critters that are part of the ecosystem, without good reason, but around the house yeah. Love the double barrels. I used to work with a guy that a Skunk sprayed under their house one night. It was an insurance claim. Couldn't live there. New furniture, etc.
    I once was sprayed by a large Skunk. Bitter cold, tag end of the duck season. We were hunting a buddy's family farm. They had an ancient German Shepard that that the vet suggested they put down. So instead they put him up in the equipment barn with a space heater. We checked on the dog and a Skunk was all cuddled up with him and sprayed us. Hung my hunting get up outside for a few days and it was fine.
    But gosh that burned the hairs out of my nose.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Rabid skunks are a real problem here, one bit a neighbor when she reached into her cat food sack to feed the cats- she got rabies and a nice series of shots to kill the virus. I shoot them all on sight sometimes they spray sometimes not, when you shoot one in the arse with a 9mm 115gr HP it tends to send skunk wafting through the night air. I had to shoot because he popped his tail up and I took that as an aggressive action on his part - me or him. They do have real soft fur.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    shooter - nice account ofa succesful hunt, but you failed to answer a key question: how much lead did you put on them? :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Skunks are dying off mysteriously in several areas of their natural range. No reason or even good thoughts by the wildlife biology folks on why. Here where I am in north Florida I used to run into skunks...or smell 'em...frequently when cruising timber or logging off a tract of timber. Haven't seen or smelled one in years, and one hasn't been reported in my home county in 23 years now.....except when the legislature is in session!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    A few weeks ago one was near our building on Fort Hood in the middle of the day. Guys said it came right by them by the side door. They called animal control and he put out a trap by some connexs in a parking lot. He said it's unusual for them to come out in the heat of the day. Guys said it looked sick with matted fur and acting funny. Rabies? I dunno, but I think he got it with the trap.

I did ask the Animal Control Officer if we could all bring in our .22s and have some fun....he gave me a funny look as did some of my "Non-Gun" coworkers:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Skunks are dying off mysteriously in several areas of their natural range. No reason or even good thoughts by the wildlife biology folks on why. Here where I am in north Florida I used to run into skunks...or smell 'em...frequently when cruising timber or logging off a tract of timber. Haven't seen or smelled one in years, and one hasn't been reported in my home county in 23 years now.....except when the legislature is in session!

I find that interesting especially in that they don't know why
    My initial guess would be pesticides

I have some I can send you ....LOL
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Rabid skunks are a real problem here,

Kind of a state-wide problem this year...also applies to coons.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Kind of a state-wide problem this year...also applies to coons.

This is something that I've been led to believe about normally nocturnal animals that are "out & about" in daytime. Rumor has it that there's a good chance the critter is rabid. I really do not know the validity of this theory.

Even in "gun unfriendly" Illinois, skunks can be shot 24/7 and 365 days per year if you have a valid hunting license and are a legal firearm owner (FOID card). There is no other critter that holds that distinction!

Coyotes come close. They can also be shot 24/7 and 365 days per year, except during the deer seasons. Then they can only be taken by residents with valid deer permits. So it appears that our legislators hold Wily Coyote and the skunk in a similar position of contempt!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!