Home Main Category General Firearms

Let's talk triggers.

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    A one pound trigger?That's pretty extreme isn't it?
    No, not at all. Why do you ask?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    A one pound trigger?

That's pretty extreme isn't it?

Naw, the trigger alone weighs more than a pound in my Mosin Nagants, then there is the hammer, spring and sear and....:rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    No, not at all. Why do you ask?

Because anything under three lbs is about nuts.

Never heard of a one lb trigger.

but then I've been out of shooting for 20 years, have things changed that much?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

Shooting by yourself?

Wait till you hear about a 1 oz (that's ounce) trigger. You'll positively split your wig.
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Shooting by yourself?

Wait till you hear about a 1 oz (that's ounce) trigger. You'll positively split your wig.

LOL yes I have heard of a one ounce trigger, back in the 50's a TV show called Paladin, the hero had a custom Colt SAA with a "one ounce trigger".
    I remember my dad and uncle who were shooters splitting a gut over it when the show came on and paladin bragged it up.
    I've never seen a one ounce trigger and I wouldn't want to.
    You should know that bench rest shooters have triggers that measure in the ounces. We have some bench rest and varminters here that have 4-6 oz triggers.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    <snip>I think too many people 'settle' for crappy triggers simply because they don't know, don't want to know, or think they can't have better. I guess sometimes it might not be possible but aside from that, I can't think of a good reason not to have the best trigger for the purpose. I seriously doubt one cannot improve their shooting with a capable rifle by simply improving the trigger. I've had shooters shrink their groups exponentially by changing triggers. The rifle was capable. The shooter was capable but the trigger was a bump in the road.<snip>

I think I can verify this assertion, because I represent most of the things you said. I always just made whatever physical adjustments were necessary to cope with whatever trigger the gun had when I got it. Until I finally fired a few rifles with good triggers, I just accepted my inconsistencies as being caused solely by inadequate skills. I now know that a nice trigger on a rifle probably matters about as much as having the correct load.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Most of my triggers on most of my bolt rigs and falling blocks are under a pound, with the exception of a couple.
    When precision shooting is paramount a lighter trigger is an asset, most of the time.
    If you need to shoot with gloves on or under harsh physical and or emotional duress then a heavier trigger may be better, especially with new guys.
    For me, the further away the target is, the more depersonalized it becomes, or the less my emotions/excitement comes into play.
    Then it all is about the conditions and the shot. I'll take the light triggers everyday Thank You!
    E
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    You should know that bench rest shooters have triggers that measure in the ounces. We have some bench rest and varminters here that have 4-6 oz triggers.

Paladin was still one of the all time worst TV gun handlers. I watch it, anyway, because as silly as it is, it still beats reality shows and reruns on the Hitler Channel.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Also, Paladin (in the same breath as his one-ounce trigger) points out that HIS Peacemaker has a rifled barrel for better accuracy, which was apparently not a normal feature...
    I don't even know who this Paladin guy is--Maybe that is a good thing.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zapp,
    If you are asking me, no I don't use 1 ounce or even 2 ounce in the field, but I do use 4-8 ounces in Long-Range field/tactical matches, Long-range (500-1000 yards) BR matches, and hunting and varminting (out to 2K).
    I use the same rigs for all of the above, so yes I do use very light triggers in the field, and have done so for a number of years.
    I have my rigs built to be BR accurate and yet field useable.
    Most of them do not have safeties, they are single-shots, and I carry them unloaded, even when hunting.
    I have a good friend who I shoot with in some 2-man tactical matches, he served as a SEAL for a a little over decade, and their triggers are noticeably heavier for close quarter work than what I use for LR.
    He thought I was insane at first, but after a relatively short period of time he has come to love light triggers for the disciplines I mentioned above.
    E
    But not one ounce, right?
    So what's your point?
    And a Bench Rest custom gun is hardly something you'd carry into the field is it?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, bud. Good luck..............
    Zapp,
    Even though most guys don't use triggers as light as I do, we have found in the LR shooting School I help with each spring, is that if you put on a Jewell trigger that runs right around 1.5 pounds, that shooter's groups at short and at distance shrink.
    Darrell's personal rigs run right at 1 pound, while mine are lighter.
    If you ever get to use a rifle that is set-up with a pound to a pound and half and get to shoot it some I think you would enjoy it, maybe even prefer it, once you got used to it.
    An ounce or two is really only used for the BR world.
    You are not likely to find many competitors shooting at short range BR 100-200 yards or in 600 or 1K (IBS, NBRSA, or Pennsylvania) in light gun or in heavy gun using triggers that are over a pound. They are typically set as light as possible. Why? It is easier to have better accuracy the more you are not involved with your gun.
    For someone who shoots itty bitty groups with a factory trigger is likely to be very good in terms of shooting form.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Whatever you say guys, if you carry a trigger that measures in the grams that's fine with me.
    But seriously.
    An ounce or two?
    Get real.
    Wow, the lack of reading comprehension is strong with this one.

Give it a bit, we have a member that has a BR rig that is about an oz trigger pull. And no one is "carrying" guns with that light of a pull. You might want to read a little bit more.
    Jay wrote: »

:jester:
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

The fact that he willingly goes by the user-name Zapp Branigan tells quite a bit about this individual.
    I take it you would hate CZ's triggers (I'm speaking of the set trigger found on the American rifle, may be on others) In the "set" position, it doesn't seem to have much creep, but man what a jump for overtravel it has. It doesn't bother me, I've gotten good with it.
    You would be correct. I am not the least bit fond of CZ triggers. Most feel like a sandbox. There have been a couple that weren't TOO bad. But they are rare.
    Sounds very similar with the way I do things when I shoot a rifle prone.I typically have my middle finger and my ring finger on the pistol grip of the stock as well with having some air gap between the stock and my my trigger finger where it is close to the trigger. Basically, I try to take myself out of the shot and let the rifle do its work. Some positions require more handling though. I also use a field bag if at all possible.
    Exactly! I want as little to do with the gun as possible. Aside from the aiming and trigger pulling, of course. That's where natural point of aim comes in. Obviously, this is oft difficult when doing alternate position and some field shooting. But that's where a good adjustable sling (spelled V-TAC) comes into play. I use the rifle and sling to hold my body in position and not the other way around. Another trick I learned from the Isrealis was rapid firing with your middle finger. You place your thumb and index finger on the bolt to cycle the action and leave them there. Then, use your middle finger to press the trigger. It's very fast and surprisingly effective. Press the trigger and cycle the action. Press the trigger and cycle the action. Your fingers never come off the bolt and your middle finger just falls back into the trigger guard every time. Kinda fun.
    But not one ounce, right?So what's your point?And a Bench Rest custom gun is hardly something you'd carry into the field is it?
    It all boils down to knowing your gear and being familiar with it. If you don't know, or aren't use to an exceptionally light trigger, it would be I'll advised to use it under most any situation. With practice, most things can be mastered. Even light triggers. Driving 200 miles per hour would be hazardous to most of ours health. Yet there are those that can dour no problem. Why? They practice. I am so use to a 1 pound trigger that they seem heavy. Might need to get me a trigger that can delve into the ounces. Time to open a new door and walk through.
    But not one ounce, right?So what's your point?And a Bench Rest custom gun is hardly something you'd carry into the field is it?
    It all boils down to knowing your gear and being familiar with it. If you don't know, or aren't use to an exceptionally light trigger, it would be ill advised to use it under most any situation. With practice, most things can be mastered. Even light triggers. Driving 200 miles per hour would be hazardous to most of ours health. Yet there are those that can do it with no problem. Why? They practice. I am so use to a 1 pound trigger that they seem heavy. Might need to get me a trigger that can delve into the ounces. Time to open a new door and walk through.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I like the way Teach sets up his triggers, those work well for me.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Do you think the sling you use would work with a specialty handgun?
    E
    But that's where a good adjustable sling (spelled V-TAC) comes into play. I use the rifle and sling to hold my body in position and not the other way around.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Do you think the sling you use would work with a specialty handgun?E
    Not knowing the first darn thing about specialty handguns and how to use them, it would be hard to say. But looking at your guns, there HAS to be a way to adapt it to that usage. Think outside the box. The V-TAC sling was designed for carbine use. We adapted it to a bolt gun and it was so effective that the manufacturer took and ran with the idea. How well it would work for a specialty handgun would totally depend on your imagination and flexibility. It's up to you and the sky is the limit. Tell you what, send me one of your guns and I'll be glad to try it out for you. Free of charge. I'll get back to you in a year or so and let you know what I've found out. (Another joke, of course. I can't do emoticons on my phone.)
    Knowing you, you would want the 338AX XP-100. Of course, it is has the heaviest trigger on it-Ha!
    A little over 100 grains of H-1000 with a 250 Scenar just over 2900 fps with a 5.5-22 NXS--I hope you are not afraid of being bitten by a scope.
    It is hard to believe just how effective Kirby's (APS) Pain Killer brake is.
    When standing and shooting off-hand with it, it will actually pull the specialty pistol down.
    Or maybe the Chey-Tac handgun...
    You would probably want one center-grip and one rear-grip so you can determine how the product can best be used with each grip design...Nothing like being thorough :)

I will get on their web site, and check out their products.
    I am always looking for a way to be more effective when field shooting.
    Think outside the box??? Why would anyone want to do that?:win:
    A lot of times I carry my XP or MOA in my pack, but I do sling my rigs also, especially in a tactical match when we are under time.
    E
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Well then if that's true, my gun safe is a regular nutt house. I don't think anything but my hand guns and shot guns have triggers as heavy as three pounds. if you get serious about accuracy in a bolt gun, you will want a very light trigger. Now this doesn't mean dangerous. It can be, but if you have it done by a competent smith he can get it down around a pound and it won't go off when dropped on its butt from a foot off the ground. Now that's a nice trigger.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Knowing you, you would want the 338AX XP-100. Of course, it is has the heaviest trigger on it-Ha!Or maybe the Chey-Tac handgun...You would probably want one center-grip and one rear-grip so you can determine how the product can best be used with each grip design...Nothing like being thorough :)A lot of times I carry my XP or MOA in my pack, but I do sling my rigs also, especially in a tactical match when we are under time.E
    Of course, two guns would be best. Then I can test both designed for you. Understand though, that this will increase the time I will need them. Let's say...2 years?If nothing else, it would assuredly aid in portability. With the quick adjustment capability, you could cinch them down tight across your chest or on your back. Looking at the guns, I think I already have ideas about shooting with the sling as well. But it will require a leg and possibly a foot. Like I use on rifles. How flexible you be? :-)
    Well, I used to (emphasis--"used to") be able to drop down into splits (RB, punter, high & intermediate hurdles in HS and college).
    But that was a long time ago, so a big negative and the flexibility thing.
    Seriously, still fairly flexible.
    Hmmm.....IF, there is going to be this long-term BORROW thing happening, I believe it is only fair, that I get to choose a couple of your R's. (it hurts to even say the word):jester:
    With all of that extra stability, weight, and MV how would one ever miss?
    Don't they get boring? Especially with the heavy triggers you use.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hey cousin, the absence of a buttstock is the only difference between your branch and mine on this family tree. I can hack my stock too and we'd be twins. When things get boring, I use my toes to shoot. :-)
    Hey cousin, the absence of a buttstock is the only difference between your branch and mine on this family tree. I can hack my stock too and we'd be twins. When things get boring, I use my toes to shoot. :-)
    :tooth:
    Now that is quite a word picture!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"