Colt Delta Elite 10 MM

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,262 Senior Member
Need some advise. I have owned a 10MM delta Elite sense they first appeared on the
market back in the 80's. I haven't put more than 100 rounds ( Norma)through the gun sense I purchased it. I love the gun and want to start shooting it again but I have red that the gun is
subject to cracking the frame, particularly with the hotter ammo such as Norma ? If this is
true is there something I can have done to the gun to prevent this ?
Thanks Bill

Replies

• rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    The old Norma bullet wasn't very reliable in the expansion arena. An attempted gun store robbery on the south hill of Renton, WA. proved this. The clerk and Renton Fish and Game club IPSC safety instructor pounded 4 through the perp and into the King County Sheriff deputies car outside. Yes the perp walked past 2 marked Impalas to make this engagement.

Look for lighter weight bullet load and perhaps the FBI load that led us to the .40 S&W. It has been awhile, but I believe the craking was limited to the rail section above the slide lock, due to the gapeing hole where the slide stop goes through.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=531663&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%201911%20%28Not%20Grips%2C%20Magazines%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-531663

"Recoil buffers are an easy and inexpensive way to eliminate damage of critical components by preventing the metal to metal contact of the slide or breech block with the frame. Made from a high density polyurethane formulated for maximum shock-absorbing characteristics, the recoil buffer is a drop-in part."
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I prefer the proper recoil spring for the load that will be used.... if you have the right spring, you do not need a recoil buffer as no battering will occur....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    Need some advise. I have owned a 10MM delta Elite sense they first appeared on the
    market back in the 80's. I haven't put more than 100 rounds ( Norma)through the gun sense I purchased it. I love the gun and want to start shooting it again but I have red that the gun is
    subject to cracking the frame, particularly with the hotter ammo such as Norma ? If this is
    true is there something I can have done to the gun to prevent this ?
    Thanks Bill
    From what I read, this was a problem that was fixed by re-enginering the metal in the slide.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Deltaframecut.jpg

Top is an original design Delta Elite, bottom is a revised version. The frame crack occurred around the top of the horseshoe cutout for the slide stop. From what I can tell, the crack was cosmetic, and didn't interfere with function. Colt's solution was to just mill away the top of the rail where the horseshoe was, eliminating the area of the crack (see bottom frame.) I'd really not worry about it, if I was running the proper dual-spring 23 lb. recoil spring setup.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info, I spoke with a Colt rep today, they said to remove the recoil outer spring and count the
    # of spring coils, The original spring has 28 coils, they now recommend a 32 coil outer spring, additionally,
    I think I'll buy some less powerful ammo for practice and save the 1300fps stuff for a rainy day,just say'n
    Bill
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Run the new springs, change them every couple thousand rounds, and shoot it with the good stuff. If you've got an older, uncut frame, it may crack at the location already indicated. At that point, consider the gun "stress-relieved" and keep shooting it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I have the buffer and a "Harrts" recoil reducing guide rod and the spring that came with it on mine, not a clue on how many coils on it but it is a lot stronger than the one it had on when I got it, works fine and it is my most accurate gun bigger than a 22LR!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".