Humming Birds and Red Shirts

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,388 Senior Member
Working in my garage yesterday (putting an extended tongue on my boat trailer to buy a bigger boat) I was constantly being buzzed by these humming birds - or the same one several times. Couldn't figure it out! I was in my garage with the door opened. Finally realized it was my red shirt. It was 99 degrees and I was sweating like a horse and certainly didn't smell like a flower! They're cute birds, but dumb!

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    I used to wear this bright red HoytUSA hat, and sometimes hummingbirds would be attracted to it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Funny you should mention that- - - - -a couple of days ago, a hummer buzzed me inside my shop which has a 12X12-foot door, might as well have been outside. I was wearing one of the hats Scott sent to the SE shoot last year, a bright red Hornady-logo one. I had no idea why this thing was flying around my ears. Now I know!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    Hummers and red go together like
    oh forget it.
    They are attracted to the red cuff on a fabric glove I occasionally use also.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Next time try gargling kool-aid while they are around.
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    Give the hummers a bit of help. On the advice of a neighbor, we put up a feeder a few years ago. it is red, and has perches so the birds can perch while getting a drink. They're quite pretty little cusses, which you can actually see when they perch, Ours is on the back deck, about 6 feet from our ittle cafe table. If I sit still they don't startle.

The cheap way to feed em is a simple syrup of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, brought to a boil and allowed to cool. The stuff they sell in the store is too pricey and essentially the same thing.

When not feeding, they hide in a nearby cherry tree.
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    Humming birds are the devils own birds I tell you. My mother had a feeder on either side of the porch when I was growing up. Their flight path was right over the porch and they could get down right aggressive if you were in their way. I would never go sit out with the family. I hated those bleepin things dive bombing me all the time. I still do not have a lot of love for those birds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    We used to have Humming bird feeders, English sparrows and purple finches took it over. A purple finch can hover and drink from one. I've seen the purple finch hover at the red cuff of my glove hanging on the back of the hand cart I move the steel chiminea with, while I'm sitting 2 feet from the bird.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    We dont have Humming birds over here.............all our birds can sing.

One of the things I look forward to seeing at Jerry's place is those little pocket rockets hovering around the feeder. They are an awesome example of natures technology.

Wonder what they taste like.............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    We dont have Humming birds over here.............all our birds can sing.

One of the things I look forward to seeing at Jerry's place is those little pocket rockets hovering around the feeder. They are an awesome example of natures technology.

Wonder what they taste like.............

It'd take a dozen of em to have any taste LOL! Seriously, if ya took off the feathers, they ain't much bigger than the bumblebees I've seen in FL.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    I can watch those birds at the feeder for hours. Pretty amazing.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    My dad used to have feeders, but they didn't have perches, so all ya saw was a beaked blur. My neighbor told me to get one with perches, and I was amazed at how much different the hummers looked than I expected em to, and how small they really are. What we see here are typicaly green/brown, and males have red collars.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,190 Senior Member
    I just read an article in the Orlando Sentinel this morning about Hummingbirds and their attraction to the red flowers of the Bottlebrush tree. I didn't think anything of it until this thread appeared here. I guess you could say they like the color red.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    They can be extremely territorial. We have 3 or 4 feeders out all spring and summer, and the dominant bird in a bunch will defend one of them as his private property! If I stand very still with a feeder in my hand, they will drink from it just like I wasn't there. If you feed the hummers, be aware they will linger around a feeder in the fall until it's far too cold for them to migrate successfully. As soon as the weather starts getting chilly, retire the feeders for the year.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Hummingbird feeders have red on them to attract the birds.

Now, here's something I haven't experienced before.

A few minutes ago I walked the 25 ftt or so from the shop to the house, and as I ascended the steps to the deck, noticed a rabbit out of the corner of my eye. Not unusual, but I just stopped at the top of the steps and stood motionless, wondering if he''d forget about me and "un-freeze" and go back to whatever he'd been doing. That took about two minutes. The rabbit laid down and went back to grazing on the clover of the back lawn.

Meanwhile, about 6 feet from me, a hummingbird came to the feeder. First he drank while hovering, then after a half a minute, sat on the perch and continued drinking. All the while I stood motionless. After maybe 2 minutes, I decided I'd continue into the house, I slowly turned, trying to see if it would stay. He lept off his perch, flew right to me, hovered maybe 12" in front of my face, facing right at me, and we did a little stand-off for maybe five seconds. Then I said "well?" and he stuttered side to side, still hovering, looking at me first with one eye, then the other, before flying off to the safety of the cherry tree nearby. It was as if the little critter was trying to decide if I was a threat or not. Funny stuff.