Home Main Category Hunting

Obsessions are always overwhelming

forsytherforsyther BannedPosts: 5 New Member
My name is forsyther, I like hunting, but big game hunting is the one that I like the most. Some people do not dare for it as they do not have any courage for it. If you are an amateur, you have to really sharpen your skills before you leave out for any great hunting expedition.

Replies

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Ok, thanks for that.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,841 Senior Member
    I just sharpen my knives so I can sharpen sticks.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,458 Senior Member
    And be sure to sharpen your wits as well. That part's important. Just don't scrape off too much skull on the grindstone.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,157 Senior Member
    forsyther wrote: »
    My name is forsyther, I like hunting, but big game hunting is the one that I like the most. Some people do not dare for it as they do not have any courage for it. If you are an amateur, you have to really sharpen your skills before you leave out for any great hunting expedition.

Huh?

Tell us more, forsyther? What kind of big game hunting do you do that requires such courage?

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Elephants
    Lions, tigers, and bears oh my.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Them squirrels sure do get big here in Oregon. And nasty.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip. It's not everyone who will share their hunting secrets.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,522 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Probably another spamer. He gets a day to repond and if not zap...
    PROBABLY????
    Make a benign first post, then the next will have all the :spam: a man could want in it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    That's some pertinent information right there.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Its so much more fun when they continue to spout their endless knowledge, at least then we get to toy with them.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    That's some pertinent information right there.

You crack me up, Buf.

:roll2:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I should have Mrs. Clean tell him about obsessive behavior!
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    Obsessive? I have CDO - that is OCD with the letters in correct order....
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Pfft! Lions, tigers, and bears aren't scary to hunt. Hunting the Bugblatter Beasts of Traal will scare the bejeezus out of you! :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Huh?

Tell us more, forsyther? What kind of big game hunting do you do that requires such courage?

Deer hunting of course. Crawling on your belly with your double barrel shotgun.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Deer hunting of course. Crawling on your belly with your double barrel shotgun.......

You forgot deking and ducking.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,303 Senior Member
    Well....with the exception of Jerry, I can tell you guys have never had to shoot your way out of a hostile dogtown. I'm not ashamed to admit I stained many a pair of pants back in the day. Only a fool's not afraid.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Probably another spamer. He gets a day to repond and if not zap...
    Maybe...I'm just hoping....maybe not a native english speaker.......maybe??????????? :uhm: ..Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Well....with the exception of Jerry, I can tell you guys have never had to shoot your way out of a hostile dogtown. I'm not ashamed to admit I stained many a pair of pants back in the day. Only a fool's not afraid.

Mike

My hat's off to you, Linefinder. Not much cover out in those dogtowns and when they get riled . . . well, you just gotta do what you gotta do. I remember that day I was hiking by myself when this ground squirrel popped out of a hole, not more than four feet from me and man I tell you I was glad I had that 7mm Mag. You want to have enough gun when you're facing them critters down. Takes guts, too. Forsyther's right - not everybody has the courage all of us forum weenies have.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Well....with the exception of Jerry, I can tell you guys have never had to shoot your way out of a hostile dogtown.Mike
    I did have to go hand to hand with a Ptarmigan in Alaska after I ran the 12 Ga dry.......good thing I had a Balisong along.....it got dicey there for a bit........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    But the best part is that we now know we're all manly men!!!!!!
    Jerry

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,158 Senior Member
    Pfffffffft. Where I go hunting I have to be wary of crabs.......................

They come out of the little holes in the mud and can give your boots and waders a terrible time.............

See the little holes in the mud next to the ducks??
    2010opening020.jpg
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Crabs! I got crabs! No seriously, I hunted down and harvested 7 (SEVEN) bats in my house last night! Used a 9000 cal. fishing net. Talk about scarey!
    Alec:
    go :fiddle: with your crabs
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,458 Senior Member

I cannot claim to be a true veteran of the wars like Mike, but he speaks truth. In 1998, I was in a two-day engagement with the same Varmint Cong, and the experience. . .changed me. The flies in the field. . .the circling vultures. . .the quick and terse directives of my spotter. . .the incessant THWOCK! of Speer soft points meeting flesh. . .and the fact that they just. . .kept. . .coming. We were about to resort to cooling the barrel of the .22-250 with our own urine when the charge finally broke.

Fourteen years on, I'm still not right. I wake up in the night, looking up at my ceiling fan and say "San Bernardino. . .shoot. . .I'm still in only San Bernardino. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in Grand Junction. . ."
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member

Mike

Free tip. Save on the laundry bill. Don't wear any pants. You're welcome.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Free tip. Save on the laundry bill. Don't wear any pants. You're welcome.

Has the added benefit of giving the little varmints a target to aim for, keeps 'em distracted.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • TurkeyOakTurkeyOak Member Posts: 32 Member
    Forsyther, you from Georgia? There is both a city and county called Forsyth.
    We don't have much big game here as the deer are little but we have hogs, gators, and mosquitos that are world class.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,743 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I cannot claim to be a true veteran of the wars like Mike, but he speaks truth. In 1998, I was in a two-day engagement with the same Varmint Cong, and the experience. . .changed me. The flies in the field. . .the circling vultures. . .the quick and terse directives of my spotter. . .the incessant THWOCK! of Speer soft points meeting flesh. . .and the fact that they just. . .kept. . .coming. We were about to resort to cooling the barrel of the .22-250 with our own urine when the charge finally broke.

Fourteen years on, I'm still not right. I wake up in the night, looking up at my ceiling fan and say "San Bernardino. . .shoot. . .I'm still in only San Bernardino. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in Grand Junction. . ."

That right there was pretty darn funny. You DO have your moments!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member

Mike

So that's why you shoot them from so far away now........I would have thrown your bucket at them:fan:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs