Home Main Category Hunting

Obsessions are always overwhelming

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jim Tom wrote: »
    Crabs! I got crabs! No seriously, I hunted down and harvested 7 (SEVEN) bats in my house last night! Used a 9000 cal. fishing net. Talk about scarey!

Shhhhhhh Jim Tom, you don't want to scare forsythe. Sounds like he had quite a childhood. But for some reason deer and hogs don't seem to scare me too bad.

But this reminds me of a dream I had of sitting on top of an open bucket (No, not Linefinders bucket) that was full of live blue crabs with long pinchers. Not big game but if they get hold of your cajones, you'll wish you were being chased by a Rhino.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Get one of them things on the hooeys and you'll out run any rhino on the planet.

And maybe even a quarter horse.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    Get one of them things on the hooeys and you'll out run any rhino on the planet.

And maybe even a quarter horse.

:silly::roll2::tissue::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Well....with the exception of Jerry, I can tell you guys have never had to shoot your way out of a hostile dogtown. I'm not ashamed to admit I stained many a pair of pants back in the day. Only a fool's not afraid.

Mike

...Mike's got it right...

...you hear lots of "I Survived a Bear Attack" stories...

...but you rarely ever hear about "PDawg Attack Survivors"...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Oh, I missed SixGun's post. He, too, has seen the elephant on the high plains. Small elephants, sure, but when they outnumber your ammo supply by a ratio of 30:1 and have the tenacity of a horsefly on a nudist beach, how big do they have to be?

Many times over the course of a day, we'd "relocate to a better firing position". Truth is, we were simply running away but couldn't bring ourselves to mouth the words.

And Jerry, you're right. We've proofed our mettle over many occasions and near misses. Life has a sweetness about it that most will never know, doesn't it?

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Nothing like an old-fashioned snipe hunt to get the adrenaline flowing!

http://www.modernsportsman.com/cgi-bin/stories/display.cgi?id=12&sort=date&storyview=text

Jerry
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    In high school we used to go snipe hunting in Hawaii. But we stopped when we lost a friend to the bite of the legendary Hawaiian Ground snake. Poor buggah never had a chance.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    And Jerry, you're right. We've proofed our mettle over many occasions and near misses. Life has a sweetness about it that most will never know, doesn't it?

Mike

Mike, I can't believe we overlooked that terrible RATTLESNAKE incident!!!!

For those who haven't heard about it, Mike and I were on our way to brave the perils of a local prairie dog town when we saw this HUGE rattlesnake in the ditch beside the road. Mike empitied his 9mm Kahr, but you would have thought that not a single shot connected. Thank heavens I had my grandfather's old double bit axe in the bed of my truck. Somehow, we managed to remove its head from the remainder of the creature.

I still wake up in a cold sweat some nights just thinking about it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Thank heavens I had my grandfather's old double bit axe in the bed of my truck. Somehow, we managed to remove its head from the remainder of the creature.

I'm almost positive I recall a pocketknife....not an axe. Perhaps the trauma has me not remembering correctly???

And you're right. You'd have thought I missed that ol' rattler with all seven shots. Good thing I wasn't packing a double-stack.

Mike
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,791 Senior Member
    You'd have thought I missed that ol' rattler with all seven shots. Good thing I wasn't packing a double-stack.

Mike

Combat can do that to ya.:tooth:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I'm almost positive I recall a pocketknife....not an axe. Perhaps the trauma has me not remembering correctly???

And you're right. You'd have thought I missed that ol' rattler with all seven shots. Good thing I wasn't packing a double-stack.

Mike

Hey, if you had a double-stack, he might have died from the fall into the crater you left under him. :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    I can't believe that not one person has brought up the perils of wing shooting, dangerous footing, early hours, the cold, not to mention dodging the return fire from above when they fly overhead!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Mike

I just said I had my grandfather's axe in the truck. I never said we used it. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    But the best part is that we now know we're all manly men!!!!!!

Well, all but Ernie. He cheats and shoots em half a mile away! Now that just ain't fair Ernie, there's no risk involved.
    In high school we used to go snipe hunting in Hawaii. But we stopped when we lost a friend to the bite of the legendary Hawaiian Ground snake. Poor buggah never had a chance.

And I always was told there were no dangerous snakes there.... Maybe those Hawaians are like those lying Filipinos. They told me there were no poisonous snakes there. Then I found that the Philippine Cobra is one of the most dangerous snakes in the world!!! I don't let my wife forget that! But Hawaii???
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well, my Google ain't brokeded. So apparently someone with the same screen name has a youtube account, (common amongst spammers) and is also a fan of Honda Acuras and is big into video games. But this individual isn't much active on these sites, (another common spammer indicator).
    I think we're in "if it walks like a duck" territory.

My $.02. Adjusted for inflation in Obama dollars.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,844 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Nothing like an old-fashioned snipe hunt to get the adrenaline flowing!

http://www.modernsportsman.com/cgi-bin/stories/display.cgi?id=12&sort=date&storyview=text

Jerry
    I used to hunt snipe here in NC and I did at Whidbey Is, Wa.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well, all but Ernie. He cheats and shoots em half a mile away! Now that just ain't fair Ernie, there's no risk involved.
    I used a pocket knife to kill a moccasin.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I used a pocket knife to kill a moccasin.

Was it on your foot at the time.......?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Jerry wound up killing that rattler with his pocket knife. With the next one, though, my aim was a lot better, and that's a good thing......I promise he wouldn't have pulled a pocketknife on this one. In fact, I doubt he'd have gotten within five feet of it with his Grandpa's axe.

We take turns being heros.....:jester:

Spammer or not....this has been a fun thread.

Mike
    N454casull
    orchidman wrote: »
    Was it on your foot at the time.......?
    No, I cheated and picked up a lg piece on concrete and dropped it on the snake and a loop
    of snake was sticking of and I cut it up. A month later the bones were still there. I could
    have used the 11-87 I had, but, I'm frugal.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jerry wound up killing that rattler with his pocket knife. With the next one, though, my aim was a lot better, and that's a good thing......I promise he wouldn't have pulled a pocketknife on this one. In fact, I doubt he'd have gotten within five feet of it with his Grandpa's axe.

We take turns being heros.....:jester:

Spammer or not....this has been a fun thread.

Mike

Well, you know the old adage about what to do with lemons when life issues them to ya'. :jester:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,474 Senior Member
    When life gives Chuck Norris lemons, he uses them to kill terrorists. Chuck Norris HATES lemonade.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    When life gives Chuck Norris lemons, he uses them to kill terrorists. Chuck Norris HATES lemonade.

Yeah but that's Chuck Norris. Ain't nobody on this forum can tie his shoes, or would want to knowing what he probably walks through in a day. Chuck Norris eats lemons like Jelly Beans, he's so tough!!! He doesn't believe in wasteing them and diluting them down in lemonade. He eats a gallon jar of red hot Habanero Chiles before every meal just to tune up his taste buds and chases it with a quart of Wild Turkey 101. What a Man!!!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Was just playing catch up with this post, then I read snakes post....I actually killed a couple of dogs under 1/2 mile several weeks ago
    Giving cover fire so some newbies could retreat. It is challenging with a single-shot at times, but it was much better than throwing rocks.:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    No, I cheated and picked up a lg piece on concrete and dropped it on the snake and a loop
    of snake was sticking of and I cut it up. A month later the bones were still there. I could

Thought you were referring to your footwear.............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Thought you were referring to your footwear.............
    No, my Mother was the honorary Stockbridge, folks on the reservation have no clue who I am.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Hey, if you had a double-stack, he might have died from the fall into the crater you left under him. :tooth:

Well, if the first 7 shots are any indication of what I'd have accomplished with the back half of a doublestack, that snake would have lived a couple minutes longer than he did. I don't think Jerry would have stepped into my line of fire with a pocketknife........

Mike
    N454casull

Why you Cheapskate!!! Burn that Ammo man, that's what it's made for,:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    I can't believe that not one person has brought up the perils of wing shooting, dangerous footing, early hours, the cold, not to mention dodging the return fire from above when they fly overhead!

You forget to bring up the horrors of being a blocker....on opening day....on Walk-in ground....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"