Home Main Category Hunting

Weatherby 240 Ultra Mag rechambered

MakoShark222MakoShark222 MemberPosts: 70 Member
The 240 Ultra Mag is really a superfast and deadly round but I'd like a super heavy big game caliber. What is the biggest that a Mark V and be rebarrled? If there is a way to chamber it for 460 WM I'd do it. I want a cannon.

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,856 Senior Member
    Doubt you can go 460, the 240 is a much, much smaller case. Not sure if the MkV is a "one size fits all" action. Not to mention you'd be going from a .473 case head to .579

Probably best selling the old one and just buying the cannon. Just remember you are stepping up to something with over 100ft-lbs of recoil, or 5x the recoil of a 30-06.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MakoShark222MakoShark222 Member Posts: 70 Member
    Yes I know I already have a 300 Win Mag which kicks a little. Not wanting to get rid of the 240 just a whole new barrel in a bigger cal.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Nothing like cramming 10 pounds of "fertilizer" into a 5-lb. bag. Just buy the gun you want and save yourself a bunch of headaches. That's like cramming a 426 hemi into a Yugo- - - -yes it's possible, but it's also stupid to try!
    Jerry
    A Weatherby Mark V action is a Mark V action and they are the strongest in the world. Don't think the 460 WM reciever is any stronger than the 240 WM. Now it may be a longer action that will hold it back.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    A Weatherby Mark V action is a Mark V action and they are the strongest in the world. Don't think the 460 WM reciever is any stronger than the 240 WM. Now it may be a longer action that will hold it back.

No they are not the strongest in the world. They are strong but there are others. Don't let those 9 locking lugs fool you. Also, I'm not sure but i know the Mark V comes in at least two versions, the Mag version, which I'm not sure of the .240 has or the conventional version. And maybe the mag version is like MHS suspects, not as big as the larger magnum versions. There is a conventional Mark V action with only 6 lugs. Then the Magnum action has 9 lugs The Magnum action is of course stronger, but still not the strongest. Then you have Wby Magnums and then again there are larger Wby Magnums. There are the .257, 270, 7 Mag, and 300 WBY Mags. magnums, then there is the 30-378, the 340, the 378, 416, and 460 Magnums. Not sure if these share the same receiver.

But the Remington 700 is as strong as a Mark V. Just because it only has two lugs doesn't mean it isn't strong. Those two Model 700 Lugs are big and thing and you won't hardly sheer them off with any proprietor cartridge I know of.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yeah mine is a Mark V action which has the 9 locking lugs. The Vangard is the cheap version but is plenty strong. If they aren't the strongest then I have been lied to by Old Roy and the family. What iyho is the strongest?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    Weatherby Vanguard is a rebadged Howa 1500. 2 large locking lugs.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yeah mine is a Mark V action which has the 9 locking lugs. The Vangard is the cheap version but is plenty strong. If they aren't the strongest then I have been lied to by Old Roy and the family. What iyho is the strongest?

One thing to remember, the Remington 700 has its advertised three rings of steel. This is a controversial point because it sacrifices the extractor somewhat to obtain this feature. But it does make for a stronger action. I think the Mark V has this same feature. The Howa, doesn't because it has a larger extractor. That is the Vangard. The Vangard however is very strong also and a fine action. The only thing I can see that the Mark V has over the Remington or the Vangard-Howa is it is a shorter bolt throw of I think 60 degrees, which some see as an advantage.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The 240 Ultra Mag is really a superfast and deadly round but I'd like a super heavy big game caliber. What is the biggest that a Mark V and be rebarrled? If there is a way to chamber it for 460 WM I'd do it. I want a cannon.

What do you plan on hunting that you need a cannon like a 460 WBY? That's a mega cannon. It is for super large dangerous game. Anything on this continent and most of Africa and Asia you can kill with a .375 or maybe a .416 of some flavor. With the .460 you are not only subjecting yourself to real super recoil, but the ammo or even reloading components will cost you a small fortune. The brass alone for one will cost you close to $100 for about 20 rounds. You're stepping off into a new deminsion of shooting expense here, not to mention the punishment aspect. How many times do you plan on going elephant hunting? I can describe the .460 WBY in one word, Beast!!! And also, with the proper bullet, that .240 will kill most anything in the U.S. at long range.
    Actually the .240 WBY is made on a case that approximates about the same volume as the .30-06. But that's Magnum Capacity for a 6mm bullet.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member

...I'm not exactly sure what a .240 "Ultra Mag" is. Is it a 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag necked down to .243, or are you actually referring to a "standard" .240 Weatherby Magnum??? Hell of a lot of difference in case dimensions, bolt face, magazine length/ follower. If it's a .240 Weatherby Magnum, you can change to anything based on a .308/ .30-06/ or .284 case w/o remilling the boltface & replacing the magazine, giving the .308/.284 room to seat long high B.C. bullets, like for a 6.5X284. If it's actually an "Ultra Mag" you can use any of them based on the 8mm Rem. case, most standard magnums, even short mags but feeding issues will probably result. Honestly, you'ld probably be better served hanging on to the .240 Wby, & buying "a super heavy big game caliber", whatever that might be...
    The Wetherby Mark V is an excelent and strong action and Weatherby builds a GREAT rifle worth every dollar they charge for it. For my son's HS graduation I gave him a nice Stainless Weatherby Mark V in 30-06 nad it is a fnastic rifle!!!

Weatherby makes the Mark V in two sized actions both of them are long actions though they are different diameters. The 9 lug action will accomodate the full length true Weatherby cartridges like the .257, .300, 30-378, .340, all the way to the mighty .460. The 6 lug action accomodates standard cartidges in the 30-06 class and your .240 Watherby Mag. The same length 6 lug action is also used by Weatherby for short action chamberings (I had a 7mm-08 Mark V for a long time). Your 6 lug action will NOT accomodate any of the bigger Weatherby rounds.

Where ya been Wambli? This has been the big question. None of us wanted to stick our neck out and make a guess, :rotflmao:
    Though I have a Mark V in 300 WBY, I never gave that any thought. However, I think at least the older .240s were built on the 9 lug action. Weatherby for a long time didn't chamber a Mark V in anything but Magnum Cartridges, except the 22-250 and the old 224 Wby, which was similar to the .22-250. and so the .240 was also made on the 9 lug action. But where I was amiss was whether they made a different size or maybe different length action for the smaller magnums.

But when they started chambering the Mark V in standard cartridges is when they went to the 6 lug action, I believe...
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's called "compensating"!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,017 Senior Member
    I never got caught up in all the WBY hype. With nine lugs you have seven extra lugas that have to make contact with the recess to be effective. I doubt if the surface area is equal to or great than the surface area of two large lugs, (insert '98 Mauser here!!) The only advantage I see is a shorter bolt lift on some rifles. Remington learned their lesson about nine lugs with the 742 Jammaster. The 7400 series and all after that are two lug.
    Unless you are in to self abuse, I see no reasonable purpose for a .460, and it's breathren, in North America.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,752 Senior Member
    Selling my .280 Mark V was a stupid idea fueled by way to many deer class guns at the time and it's one of the few guns I truly regret selling.

You should be flogged!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    On a side note, I don't really mind a long action on certain short action cartridges. It allows you to seat longer VLD bullets further out and still fit in the magazine. For instance, my 6.5-284 is built on a long action. I can seat the 140gr A-Max bullets to the lands and still fit in the magazine. Life is good.
    Yeah but the 6.5-284 is one of those chambering that can go either way depending on gun purpose and the 6.5 bullets are ungodly long in general so that one I can see, but for a 7mm-08 that will probebly never see anything much longer than 140 grain class bullets the extra metal is wasted on me.

That's why I said, some short action cartridges. Like, the .260, 6.5-284, .284 Win, and maaaybe the .308. But yes, we agree.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,157 Senior Member
    Mako,

I'm still curious as to why you want the 460 Weatherby. Are you planning a dangerous game hunt, just like the idea of having one, or something else?

Just curious.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,178 Senior Member

What is this Weatherby .240 Ultra Mag you speak of... I can find no reference to this cartridge....perhaps a Wildcat that you developed?

This kinda reminds me of the guy at the range that was showing off his .243 Winchester Magnum... I got a chance to look at the rifle and it was marked ".243 Win." so I asked the guy where he got the "magnum" from. Appears the guy at the gun shop told him it was a "magnum" but that it would shoot regular .243s just fine....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    You are probably right, but the short 60 deegre bolt throw and super smooth function of a Watherby action makes it a real joy to shoot. I LOVE working the bolt of my son's Mark V. It's quick, silky and it just locks up TIGHT. They fact that all the ones I've owned have been stupid accurate and had great triggers from the factory just show the atention to detail and fit/finish. Weatherby charges a premium for their guns but they spend your money wisely when they build their rifles.

You are so right on here. I have never seen a rlfle, neither a custom made or a factory made gun that had as much attention to detail as my Mark V Lazer Mark. That rifle sold me on Weatherby forever. I don't see how they build so many and make them this well. They ARE worth every penny you pay.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    What is this Weatherby .240 Ultra Mag you speak of... I can find no reference to this cartridge....perhaps a Wildcat that you developed?

This kinda reminds me of the guy at the range that was showing off his .243 Winchester Magnum... I got a chance to look at the rifle and it was marked ".243 Win." so I asked the guy where he got the "magnum" from. Appears the guy at the gun shop told him it was a "magnum" but that it would shoot regular .243s just fine....

Yet another case of Gun Shop BS Fraud! They should be put out of business by the "Better Business Bureau!" That is purely unethical practice.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,579 Senior Member
    Of all the Weatherby cartridges, the one that intrigues me is the 33-378.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Of all the Weatherby cartridges, the one that intrigues me is the 33-378.

That's a Freaking Cannon!!! My buddy Pat, the same guy that hunts Texas Whitetail with a .375 H&H, has a .30-378 and also uses IT on whitetail for a like reason. In the meantime I'm shaken my head mumbling "Why! Why! Why!
    Snake, Snake, Snake, you should know the reason why it intrigues me--DISTANCE!:applause:
    snake284 wrote: »
    That's a Freaking Cannon!!! My buddy Pat, the same guy that hunts Texas Whitetail with a .375 H&H, has a .30-378 and also uses IT on whitetail for a like reason. In the meantime I'm shaken my head mumbling "Why! Why! Why!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have absolutely NO problem with people wanting to own big calibers. I have absolutely No problem with people using those big calibers to take any manner of game. We, are gun nuts, right? The majority of us surpassed the "need" threshold a long time ago and have plunged head long into the "want" category.

Hell, I've used everything from a .223 to a .458 Win Mag to take deer. Why? Because I had the rifle and saw no reason for it to go unused. I'll likely do it again. Why? Because I can.

Needs got nothing to do with it. Just say'n. :-)
    Zee wrote: »
    I have absolutely NO problem with people wanting to own big calibers. I have absolutely No problem with people using those big calibers to take any manner of game. We, are gun nuts, right? The majority of us surpassed the "need" threshold a long time ago and have plunged head long into the "want" category.

Hell, I've used everything from a .223 to a .458 Win Mag to take deer. Why? Because I had the rifle and saw no reason for it to go unused. I'll likely do it again. Why? Because I can.

Hey Zee, take a deep breath and blow. I was only pullin Ernie's chain. I have a .300 WBY I plan on killing hogs and whitetail with myself, but you guys just gotta know Pat to see what I mean!!! He doesn't use these for distance, he wants to see how big a hole he can make, :rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Haha. I remember a .404 Jeffrey experiment and being amazed at the resulting butthurt.
    If you take a reasonable distanced head shot I see no problem using anything. No meat wasted...NONE!:wink:
    Reasonable distance being???:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"