Bought a New Jon Boat

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,365 Senior Member
It's a 1440 Xpress all welded jon. Compared to my 1236 it's a monster! Don't know what I'll do with all the room. I suppose I'll have to do some mods to it after I've fished it a while and know what I want.

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,264 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new boat! I've wanted a Jon boat for some tim, but the old lady finds them "ugly." So much for how awesome they are for duck hunting, fishing and travelling to and from a nice deer spot up the river...no, that won't do. She wants a Tahoe type pretty boy boat.

You and I are on the same page, Dan. That's a fine pickup.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Good for you,Dan! But don't pull it all the way down to Destin if you come down this year. I've got an Old Town square stern 17.5 footer with a 5 HP Yammy that you and the family are welcome to use. I'll bring it and my crab traps over for you to use whenever!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    Destin isn't in the picture this year. Did you get to Dixons?

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,937 Senior Member
    :beer:
    I've had expierence with 14 footers and let me tell ya, even a 17 footer can be too,to,2,tu,tew,II small.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    99% of my fishing is done solo. My buddy's 14 footer is the perfect size for the little inlets and bays we find in our strip pits and reservoirs.

Dan
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new boat. Most of my fishing is solo too. I thought about getting a Jon boat too but don't want to have to use a trailer. I use a Bear Creek square stern canoe (the Square Bear) with 35# thrust Minnkota- works great! Even with a bad back and shoulder issues I can get it on and off my truck racks myself. The Square Bear is a fairly short (12' I think) and very wide flat bottomed canoe. Extremely stable and I can stand up in it to cast. Minnkota is whisper quiet and has enough power to deal with a moderate current. What are you going to do for a motor? I really like the quiet of electirc ones and a 55# thrust would probably be enough for your Jon boat. Drawbacks- lugging around a 70-80# deep cycle battery and keeping it charged and ready. If your battery dies you're stuck paddling. With a gas motor, a spare gas can is a whole lot lighter than an extra battery! Happy fishin'!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Congratulations! The 14 footer will allow for easier storage of 'stuff' and make it easier to take another person along if you need to. More stable for standing up and casting, and getting those inevitable 'kinks' out of your legs. Good call on getting one with all welded seams; no leaky joints to mess things up.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Aren't we derelict in our duties? Shouldn't we demand a pic?

Pic or it didn't happen.
    I thought that was about guns?

Dan
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,105 Senior Member
    I thought that was about guns? Dan
    We have to have "show and tell" on all new toys.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!