Home Main Category Personal Defense

Building an HD shotgun.

jbohiojbohio Senior MemberPosts: 5,615 Senior Member
Well, I'm addressing some holes in my HD plan, and I picked up a '79 vintage 870 Wingmaster today. Cheap. With 20" rifle sighted slug barrel. The stocks are in 95% condition, so they're heading to ebay, to partially fund the build (nice ones are bringing over $100).
I got it cheap because some knucklehead had it in a case way too long, and it has some light rust marks in the bluing all over it.

I have zero experience with aftermarket 870 parts, and spray on coatings.

I don't want anything outrageous, or tacticool. Function.
I want synthetic, police style stocks, re-coat the entire thing, extended mag tube, night sights, maybe a ghost ring, over sized safety.
What's good stuff, what to stay away from?

I have a Midway order all ready to go, but figured I better check here first. I was looking at Speedfeed stocks, Remington 3 shot mag extension, Meprolight sights, and a Duracoat refinish kit.

What say you?
«13

Replies

  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,320 Senior Member
    Well, for some good enhancements. . .

    Take a look at the underside of the shell carrier. If it has a square cut in it with a little tab bent inwards, odds are good it has the newer Flexi-Tab upgrade, which consists of a carrier, bolt, and bolt slide that are modified to allow a little more room in the action for clearing a double-fed shell. You can get those three parts as a kit from Remington.

    Old as your gun is, you've already got a milled extractor, so no worries there.

    Depending on what your trigger pull is, you might want to drop in Remington's orange (paint) LE sear spring, which will kick your pull up to 5-8 pounds.

    I am personally not a fan of the Remington factory magazine extensions simply because if you don't know how to install them, you can do it wrong, and end up with problems of failing to feed and serious headspace/safety issues. You ALWAYS want to separate the extension from the coupler when you remove them from the gun, then you install the coupler back on to secure the barrel, then finish up by installing the spring and extension. Just think "remove together, reassemble separately".

    As far as I'm concerned, though, there is but one extension system to have, and that is the Vang Comp two shot with stainless steel magazine follower. My own preference is to use this with the Remington factory 28" spring that is used on all the factory extensions.

    The Vang Comp oversize safety is nice as well. Just keep in mind that if you are using a Knoxx recoil-reducing stock (pure evil, IMO), you'll have to use the factory safety because the trigger group travels slightly into the stock during recoil.

    Vang Comp is also da bomb on side saddles (screws go into steel inserts, not easily stripped aluminum plate), as well as ghost rings.

    Now if you go the cheap and basic route retaining the standard 4-shot capacity, I would say Flexitab kit, Vang Comp safety and stainless follower, new style magazine spring retainer, and replace the old civilian hunting magazine spring (16" long and wimpy) with the law enforcement model (22" and beefy)
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Sounds like I shoulda waited a week and grabbed one of the 1500, Ohio State Highway patrol police 870's that my LGS is taking in on trade, and selling for $269? I might still.

    Anyway, I definitely want a mag extension, I"ll check out the Flexitab deal. Look at Vang Comp.
    No fancy stocks, just plain ol synthetic, shotgun style.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Iirc, i tried a houge stock, the shortest one they make. NO BUENO! WAY too short! It put my thumb right in my fave when i shouldered it. It got sent ba k posthaste. Im a huge fan of the shur shot stock that remmy makes. Some ding **** talked me into one....
    thats what i would get. Its still a somewhat regular stock that allows you to fire it one handed if need be.

    That ding **** must have good taste, I like those too! :tooth:
    I was gonna get one, but the mrs. said she preferred a more traditional grip angle.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Duracoat = GOOD STUFF
    Cheap >$20 airbrush kit http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html
    and I ASSUME you have a compressor?

    Yep. I never messed with an airbrush, but I was considering it. Seems like the way to go.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    So , this is unsuitable for home defense?

    P5030001.jpg
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Wanna be a guinea pig?


    I really want those for my 870, but don't currently have the spare cash for them.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    So , this is unsuitable for home defense?

    P5030001.jpg
    HA! That's it, exactly!
    Actually, it's fine, the way it is. I just gotta tinker.
    I'm only gonna mess with it because the bluing is trashed, gotta nip the rust in the bud. It'll never be a collector piece, now.
    I got it for less than half what Wingmasters are selling for.
    I figured I'd sell off the stocks, buy new ones, still have money left. No point in trashing perfectly good Wingmaster stocks, banging around the house, trucks, etc.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Actually, I would. If they had them in stock. I REALLY like that fore end. I was thinking that a Shur Shot butt stock, and the Magpul fore end would be pretty sweet.
    OTOH, $104 is quite a bit to spend for a stock that's just gonna sit in the, b... er, uh, someplace. And not be used much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    So , this is unsuitable for home defense?

    P5030001.jpg

    Hell no it ain't and it is probably all any of us would need. However, as they say different strokes fer different folks.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "Hell no it ain't and it is probably all any of us would need. However, as they say different strokes fer different folks."

    I am of the opinion that if anyone could tell Me of a personal defense encounter where those add on parts made a difference in the outcome survival wise, I would be very interested, so far IMHPE, the old Remington 870 patrol shotgun with its 4 shot tube and wood stocks has always been enough, except one notable encounter as a LEO.

    Light rust ? I would just clean it off, steel wool & oil and call it good.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I used to cobble together "Ramboesque" shotguns as a hobby a while back before people became too proud of beat up old 870's. I used to pick them up from hole in the wall pawn shops for 100.00 to 150.00 and slap a stock, mag extension, and shell holder on them and call it good. Sometimes I parked them, somethimes I just sanded and painted the wood stock to make it look "tactical", and sometimes I ported the barrels. It depended on what the customer wanted. I used to use what ever stocks, mag extensions, and shell holders that I could find cheap. I've never had an issue with a cheap mag extension not feeding properly. After all, it's an extension, the gun is still feeding from the factory tube, you're just extending it. The cheap shell holders are threaded into aluminum but unless you stripped it when you installed it, I've never had one come apart. Stock wise, I kinda like the Hogues as they are inexpensive and the stay grippy even if your hands are sweaty. I've never noticed them being shorter than other brands. The parked 870 in this first pic was built and parked by me over 20 years ago and has countless rounds run through it and the shell holder hasn't fallen off.


    shotguns006.jpg

    shotguns004.jpg


    This is a Speedfeed stock on the left on an 1100, a factory stock on an 870 express in the middle, and a Hogue on an 870 on the right. They all look the same length to me.

    shotguns001.jpg


    These are some of the components that I use. Whatever's on sale. I've used a lot of these and they are inexpensive and have held up just fine.

    shotguns011.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I guess I am a antiquated Philistine, I love My dear old beat up Patrol shotgun just the way it is.

    Remington870.jpg

    Classic Remington 870, with all its scars from banging about in Patrol vehicle racks.
    Proud Warrior that.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Yeah, I got better ways to spend my money rather than ninjaing an 870. I suppose it's a pastime. But you can quickly get into a project like this for almost enough to buy another shotgun.

    I did alter an 870 once, however. I cut the barrel down and put on a pistol-grip only. It was painful to shoot. It was given to a LEO who had no firearms at all following Katrina. I was glad to get rid of it. Drop the hammer on a live round and the cool factor disappeared.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Yeah, I got better ways to spend my money rather than ninjaing an 870. I suppose it's a pastime. But you can quickly get into a project like this for almost enough to buy another shotgun.

    I did alter an 870 once, however. I cut the barrel down and put on a pistol-grip only. It was painful to shoot. It was given to a LEO who had no firearms at all following Katrina. I was glad to get rid of it. Drop the hammer on a live round and the cool factor disappeared.


    If someone / anyone could show Me that expensive Ninjy makeover / treatment made the shotgun more effective, I would do it in a heartbeat, I have shot shotguns with pistol grips, it takes some getting used to, you really appreciate it more in a personal defense type encounter, it is NOT a range (fun) gun.......

    Or the side saddles, when are you ever going to have time to re-load a shotgun under fire ? I never have.... drop the empty shotgun and draw your sidearm......

    OTOH, I do have a "Tactical" snicker :rotflmao: snicker snicker, Mossberg 500 Persuader shotgun with a pistol grip if I feel I need a high capacity magazine.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Side saddles interfere with speed-loading a shotgun. I load over-the-top and am pretty fast with it. Couldn't do that with a side saddle on.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    The only thing I want on my home defense shotty is a light. Even though I have both an 870 and an 1100, I want a Mossberg setup for a light, 18 inch tube, 7 or 8 round capacity. I want the Mossberg because I have once while hunting had an AD with my 870 when I checked the safety. Totally my fault, but still lucky no one was hurt. I think the Mossberg safety on the rear of the receiver, controlled by the thumb is a better idea.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    The only thing I want on my home defense shotty is a light. Even though I have both an 870 and an 1100, I want a Mossberg setup for a light, 18 inch tube, 7 or 8 round capacity. I want the Mossberg because I have once while hunting had an AD with my 870 when I checked the safety. Totally my fault, but still lucky no one was hurt. I think the Mossberg safety on the rear of the receiver, controlled by the thumb is a better idea.

    D

    Shotty ???? why ????? Is shotgun so hard to spell ??? :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

    Why did you have a shot chambered ???

    I keep the chamber empty, safety off.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe.....its as simple as.....want.

    On Wanting

    "Having is not so pleasing as wanting, It is not logical, but it is often true."

    (Spock to T'Pring in Amok Time).
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Shotty ???? why ????? Is shotgun so hard to spell ??? :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

    Why did you have a shot chambered ???

    I keep the chamber empty, safety off.......

    I was 15 yrs old, hunting pheasant with a family friend, and had the gun over my shoulder point up and slightly back. I had a round in the chamber, reached to check the safety and hit the trigger. Dumb. My fault. It was my 870 "SHOTGUN" :)

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Ahhhhh, a most valuable lesson.......... tee hee, not so clean underwear.... :tooth:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Steve, those look nice! That's the idea. An 870 that's seen better days, freshened up. I doubt I'll do a saddle, I figure if the first 8 don't get me out of trouble, 4 more probably won't either. No light, either. Night sights, maybe.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Whoever posted about only wanting a light on a SD gun is about right--especially for general HD. Your only concern after that becomes whether or not you want an older (cheaper) shotgun or a newer one and maybe an inexpensive side saddle for extra rounds.

    Bear in mind, however, that effectively running a shotgun is tough. Get a shotgun training course, too. Shotguns tend to over-penetrate walls, too. Bear this in mind as well.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I keep the chamber empty, safety off.......

    This is, too, what I have decided on as well. Shotgun safeties (other than Mossberg) are not intuitively positioned.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,110 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I keep the chamber empty, safety off.......

    Since there are no kids here...we keep ours loaded with the safety on....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Even as a LEO, I have always run shotguns chamber empty safety off, it is very fast, and very safe, I still however, make sure the chamber is empty, if I chamber a round, then it has become necessary to fire right after......

    In retrospect, the more I look at My old traditional style Remington 870, the more I appreciate it and its battle scars, I would like to get another just like it, I figure if I need to "Frankenstein" a shotgun, My Mossberg 500 Persuader is ripe for it, it already has a long magazine tube, it is drilled and tapped for a mount, and I got it cheaply enough, and it will not be the worse for it if it were gussied up.....

    After so many successes using a stock Remington / 4 shot magazine & a bead sight, I have yet to see a reason to change or modify anything, I will still need to pick up a sling however.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,870 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    This is, too, what I have decided on as well. Shotgun safeties (other than Mossberg) are not intuitively positioned.
    I disagree on the safety position. You just have to use it a lot, but when dove hunting I always carry chamber-loaded, safety on with my 11-87, and in the latter years I can't remember missing the safety. Maybe the first hunting trip or so, but otherwise I've never had a problem. But I can run that thing blindfolded, in the dark.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I disagree on the safety position. You just have to use it a lot, but when dove hunting I always carry chamber-loaded, safety on with my 11-87, and in the latter years I can't remember missing the safety. Maybe the first hunting trip or so, but otherwise I've never had a problem. But I can run that thing blindfolded, in the dark.

    Yep. Outside of one trip to Wyoming, every time I've ever been hunting with a gun, skeet shooting, sporting clays, in my life, I've had a Remington shotgun in my hands. Countless thousands of rounds. I'm not too worried about learning how to use one.
  • ApexxApexx Member Posts: 111 Member
    jbohio wrote: »

    What say you?

    Leave it as the manufacturer made it. Or close to it as possible. Personally if it was made and looks like a hunting shotgun leave it that way. I don't think you would want a Lawyer using the fact that you converted a "hunting" shotgun into an "evil, tactical, man killer" against you. If you want a black, synthetic, extended mag, 20" barrel, shotgun buy one already built that way from the manufacturer. Remington 870 and Mosberg 500 are plenty cheap.

    Just my 2 cents.

    By the way the lead coming out the end is the same if it has a wood hunting stock or a black synthetic stock. Do you really need a ghost ring at 15 feet?
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think the most valid point is:

    Why modify a shotgun and spend more money with possible iffy results, see Big Slugs comments, when you can buy a shotgun already configured mostly the way you want it ?

    The Mossberg 500 series is perfect for that.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement