Home Main Category Hunting

Have we discussed hunting with BB guns when we were kids?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,157 Senior Member
My first gun was a Daisy BB gun. I got it for my 8th birthday. I still remember waiting for my dad to return home with it. I ran to the car, opened the door, and didn't see a thing. It was there, laying in the seat, but I just overlooked it. Boy, was I one excited eight year old when I realized it was laying right there in the seat all along.

About all I had to hunt was tweety birds and lizards. No doubt my best all time shot with a BB gun was at a lizard. It was in the middle of a very hot, west Texas summer day, and I was hunting with some friends. I saw a pretty good sized lizard go behind a weed about 20-30 yards away. I carefully aimed at the side of the weed I expected it to move to. I pulled the trigger just as it moved out from behind the week, and my BB caught it right in the head. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed with that shot.

Surely I'm not the only one here who got their 'start' with a BB gun, and have their own stories to share. Please do so.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    That's how it started for me. I was 6, and dad was shooting squirrels that would dig up his flower bed. I remember the first one I saw get shot. I started to cry telling dad he killed it, and the squirrel started twitching. Dad thinking quickly put the bb gun in my hand and told me to shoot it quickly because it wasn't dead, I did and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Been killing stuff ever since (tooth)
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    Got a Crosssman 788 when i was about ten. Put one of those cheap Tasco 3/4" 4x scopes on it. First thing I remember shooting was bumble bees off the old shed behind the garage. Went on a lot of grasshopper safaris too.

Shot a few birds. Our old momma cat used to follow me when I left with my bb gun. Knew she would get a fresh meal.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    Daisy Red ryder was what started it all for me. Don't recall any spectacular shots but pretty sure I flat wore out my first one. Graduated to a Crossman 760 pump in my later years and recall some great shots on crows. Pumped up to 10 or sometimes a few more and loaded with 2 BB's, no crow was safe in grandma's garden.

Sako
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Got a Crosssman 788 when i was about ten. Put one of those cheap Tasco 3/4" 4x scopes on it. First thing I remember shooting was bumble bees off the old shed behind the garage. Went on a lot of grasshopper safaris too.

Shot a few birds. Our old momma cat used to follow me when I left with my bb gun. Knew she would get a fresh meal.

Even as adults my dad and I would play "hopper popper" shooting large Colorado grasshoppers as they crawled across the deck rails. Pretty good after dinner entertainment.
    Come to think of it, that is probably were both my daughters took thier first shots again with a Red Ryder. Good memories.

Sako
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Daisy pump, with the tubular magazine (more powerful, no rattle) at about 9 years old - I was a big strong kid and could still barely cock it. I was allowed to shoot anything but horny toads, mockingbirds, doves, and scissortails (Dad was an Okie and that's the state bird). I shot plenty of blue jays, ground squirrels, wasps, bottle caps, toy soldiers....and the bathroom window glass. My dad confiscated it till I paid for the glass (months), then helped me replace it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,178 Senior Member
    Very first critter I ever shot was a ground squirrel...did the deed with my Red Ryder..I went over to pick him up and he was warm, and soft, and dead, and cute...:tissue:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Daisy or crosman pellet gun and grasshoppers= multiple target rich environment. I wonder how many 1000 pack BBs I went through those summers...
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Actually when I was a kid living in FL my first gun was a BB gun. I got plenty of doves with that thing when they'd land in the chicken coop. Not sure if that was legal or not but where I lived no one cared as long as you were not being unsafe or some kind of jerk about it. I also tagged plenty of squirrels.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Ever give your bb gun those extra two pumps just to make it kill that tweety bird better?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I guess I did it backwards. My first gun was a Marble's Gamegetter. But the next Christmas I got a Crosman 140 .22 cal. air rifle. 10 pumps of the handle and it would do in squirrels and rabbits pretty quick. I hunted with it a lot more than the Gamegetter (pellets were cheaper than .22 shorts; a 250 round box of pellets was same price as a 50 round box of .22 Short). Shot lots of grasshoppers, damselflies, and the best was yellow jackets on a piece of watermelon rind. Killed lots of tweety birds, too. My older cousin had the same model air rifle. We cooked quite a few sparrows-on-a-stick, too. :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Red Rider boy here,spent summers on my grandparents farm in Trenton Nebraska.
    Grandma would give me a penny apiece for grasshoppers and a quarter for sparrows,she had a verry large garden and a small fruit orchard,so I was protecting her harvest.(at least that's what I thought)
    Spent all my profits on more BBs and an ocasional candy bar.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    ..... and frogs. Shot lots and lots of frogs in the swamp at the end of our lane.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I had a Buffalo Bill lever action given to me for my birthday. Here in Florida the lizard population took a beating.....but they have since come back and flourish to this day.....LOL. It shot a little to the left but I learned to hold off for the shot. Even today I want to shoot a little bit to the right to compensate....lol. those sure were some great days for a kid. I sure would love to go back for a day and experience it again.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,158 Senior Member
    I wasnt allowed a BB gun so had to make do with marbles, a piece of pipe and fireworks. Got them taken off me when I blasted a steel ball bearing through the drivers door of my uncles car when he parked it on my 30yd range ( the driveway)
    Bloody inconsiderate of him.................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    One summer when I was nine, we had a one eyed rabbit hanging around my mom's garden.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    Red Rider here.

Cousin had a barn with one end full of yellow jackets. We'd aim for the bit that holds the whole nest up. I don't think we ever knocked a nest down, but we did put a round into the nest on occasion.

That would cause tremendous door slamming and running around the yard for a while. Then back at 'em.

Green army men standing guard on a large log in the fire pit were some of the most fun targets.
    Battleship model in the creek took a lot of BB's to sink.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I also had a Crosman model 73 C02 lever rifle (talked it off of an Aunt, it just sat in the corner in her house), but I never used it as much. The C02 cartridges were to much $$$...

520a74e3bc10e6c5ff0f168baa6d18d6.jpg
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I also had a Red Ryder as my first gun. But my first hunting gun was a Benjamin Franklin 347 .177 cal, circa 1977. I still have it and it still works.

I shot more cottontails and tree rats than I can remember.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    Myfirstguns.jpg

I've got a T-38 just like that at home that I got from my grandfather. Great little pistol, though I don't shoot it that often. I haven't shot it in years, actually.

As far as starting, Dad skipped me right on up to .22 shorts. I didn't own a BB/Pellet gun for another 5 or 6 years after that.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I wasnt allowed a BB gun so had to make do with marbles, a piece of pipe and fireworks. Got them taken off me when I blasted a steel ball bearing through the drivers door of my uncles car when he parked it on my 30yd range ( the driveway)
    Bloody inconsiderate of him.................

I got busted (literally) for something similar. Mine was a gallon can, full of gravel, and a M-80. We had a little 'over-spray' and peppered a car that was traveling down the road. It was single shot - meaning we had to have a new can for every shot, or at least we would have, if we had ever gotten to take a second shot.