Home Main Category Hunting

I drew a speedy goat tag!!

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
So every time I've been hunting, doesn't matter what I'm after, I ALWAYS see antelope but never have the tag as it's drawing only. Well I figured what the hey and put in for it as well as a moose tag. No go on the moose but I did draw the speedy goat.

I've never hunted one of these things before, I've eaten them and they are closest to goat IMO. What should I expect gutting it? I'd guess just like deer, but how about the smell?

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,157 Senior Member
    Seeing 'em is the easy part. Getting close enough to get a shot not so much. Remember that their vision is about the same as you or me looking through 8x binoculars.

OTOH, they're curious animals, and will sometimes see you and walk toward you. The last, and largest, buck that I've taken did that. When I first saw him, he was nearly 400 yards away. I wasn't comfortable taking that shot, so I just sat down in plain sight of him, and he started my way. I shot him at about 230 yards.

As for their smell when you're gutting one, it's about like deer. I don't think they stink, if that's what you're getting at. Also, their hair is very brittle, which surprised me on the first one I took.

If I had an single piece of advice to offer, it would be to get a good rangefinder. It's really easy to misjudge distances in the kind of country where you find antelope, and knowing the exact distance can be the difference between a clean kill and missing by a mile.

Where will you be hunting, and what will you be shooting?

Congrats on drawing a tag. They're about the most fun animal to hunt that I've ever hunted. I've even started tagging along with friends and not even carrying a rifle just for the experience.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Seeing 'em is the easy part. Getting close enough to get a shot not so much. Remember that their vision is about the same as you or me looking through 8x binoculars.

OTOH, they're curious animals, and will sometimes see you and walk toward you. The last, and largest, buck that I've taken did that. When I first saw him, he was nearly 400 yards away. I wasn't comfortable taking that shot, so I just sat down in plain sight of him, and he started my way. I shot him at about 230 yards.

Being drawing only, they are pretty brave here knowing most people won't be shooting at them so they have always been very close when I saw them

Where will you be hunting, and what will you be shooting?

Region 5 hehe. If you know where Colombus is, it'll be near that. Mixed terrain of rolling hills, woods, and open for the next thousand miles. As far as the rifle I'm still up in the air between my 7mm mag and my .308win. I generally favor the 7 mag for hunting just because I have an easier time in wind with it.

QUOTE]
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,157 Senior Member
    Uh, what state??????
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,756 Senior Member
    Excellent! Antelope hunting is addictive!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,856 Senior Member
    Indeed it is! I have started to look at antelope hunting as something I REALLY want to do, where as elk hunting is just WHAT I do. I mean I get excited about elk hunting and everything...but there is just something about chasing the speedsters out on the prairie that makes me smile. Even if I have muffed up the last 2 seasons lol just gotta figure out how I am going to hunt this year. I'll be using the 308 unless I happen to purchase something else between now and then
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I'll be using the 308 unless I happen to purchase something else between now and then

I've taken the majority of my antelope with a .308 Winchester. It ain't fast, it ain't fancy. But, it's what I know and it works. Do your part and know your gun. It'll work like a champ.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,579 Senior Member
    Congrats on the tag.
    Take both rifles!
    Going to do some lope hunting myself this year.
    Just got my tags late last week.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Congrats on the tag.
    Take both rifles!

I actually do normally. One stays in the truck (typically the .308) and the other comes with me. If I have an issue with a gun for some reason I have a back up. Actually needed that last year. BIL dropped the 7mag so just in case the scope got bumped I walked back to the truck and swapped out.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    Cool! I've only done it once, messed up the shot, but I sure had fun. It's a whole other, fun, ballgame.
    I learned that you should always walk around the side of hills, you never know when a herd of them might be hiding just over the crest.
    I'll keep that in mind, though I'm not sure it'll be possible considering most of our hills are not so much of an earth mound but a mini mountain range
    Terrain features are your friend. Use them to your advantage and you can sneak up on goats. May be slow going at times, but look for the slightest feature. Dead space, if you will. Find it, use it, love it!
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    I have killed 3 with a rifle, 243 wssm, 300wsm, and with my 257 Weatherby, one with a Recurve, I drew my Wyoming, Colorado, and NM tag this year. Iam hunting all 3 states with my 257 weatherby, zeroed 300 yards, 6" low at 400, never shot one past 329 yards, ADVICE: if you going to use one of your cannons do not hit the bone or you will destroy half of the meat, trust me on this one, a 300wsm TTSX will open up on a little goat and it looks like a bomb hit it.
    Get the hide off in the field, put the meat in a cooler and pack with ice, best meat you will ever eat. If your going to cape him out for a mount get the cape off and let it cool, DO NOT PUT IT IN A PLASTIC BAG, let it ride in the back of the truck or car in a cooler, NO ice, just let it cool off, by the time you get home wrap it meat to meat, hair to hair, put in a pillow case and freeze. Plastic will cause hair slippage on a goat. DRY any blood before you freeze it and use hydrogen peroxide to get blood stains out NOW once they set the taxidermist will even have a hard time with them.
    Good luck, by far my favorite animal to hunt.
    Dale