I didn't think the NRA gave out member information

Replies

• blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

This entire poll is suspect.

Gallup does an annual gun control poll of the general population, and its last results in October, 2011, clearly indicated that gun control is NOT supported by any majority. In fact, just the opposite is happening over time, as people have slowly become more accepting of guns, they are more and more comfortable with the laws that exist. Lots of great info in this link:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx

The report is very informative, and consistent with its earlier yearly polls. The trend for gun control advocacy is most definitely down. For example:

The results are based on Gallup's annual Crime poll, conducted Oct. 6-9. This year's poll finds support for a variety of gun-control measures at historical lows, including the ban on handguns, which is Gallup's longest continuing gun-control trend.

For the first time, Gallup finds greater opposition to than support for a ban on semiautomatic guns or assault rifles, 53% to 43%. In the initial asking of this question in 1996, the numbers were nearly reversed, with 57% for and 42% against an assault rifle ban. Congress passed such a ban in 1994, but the law expired when Congress did not act to renew it in 2004. Around the time the law expired, Americans were about evenly divided in their views.

and: Americans' preference regarding gun laws is generally that the government enforce existing laws more strictly and not pass new laws (60%) rather than pass new gun laws in addition to stricter enforcement of existing laws (35%). That has been the public's view since Gallup first asked the question in 2000; the 60% this year who want stricter enforcement but no new laws is tied for the high in the trend
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    I have no argument about the poll being BS. My only concern was if the NRA gives out member information to anyone, including MAIG pollsters.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Because of confidentiality NRA does not disclose any private information about individual members to other parties...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    I read the article at the link
    I believe it is a made up report
    and not a true report of a poll of NRA members.

Look at the source======"SOURCE Mayors Against Illegal Guns".
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Welcome Aboard rear Admiral NN !!! :tooth:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Welcome Aboard rear Admiral NN !!! :tooth:

Point of order: NN was a Marine and would, therefore, be a General. Admirals are in the Navy. Heave to, trice up, and carry on.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Point of order: NN was a Marine and would, therefore, be a General. Admirals are in the Navy. Heave to, trice up, and carry on.
    I've been mistaken for resembling a two star
    we had here---had to explain that nope I'm just a

Sweepers man your brooms AAAAH OOGA
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • levergunlevergun New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    I call bs on that report. Does not seem legit at all.
    USN/ss Run Silent, Run Deep.
    ASE master tech
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    Doubt NRA gave out the info (although the have no problem selling our info to all sorts of shady marketing companies and filling my email and snail mail with junk). More than likely they target gun owners and ask if they're NRA members.

PS Frank Luntz is a well known GOP pollster and frequent foxnews contributor. Marketwatch is also a pretty reputable business news site.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho