Chick-fil-a v. Chicago, Boston NOT A GAY RIGHTS THREAD

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,414 Senior Member
Recently the mayors of both Boston and Chicago have stated that Chick-Fil-A is either not welcome or does not belong within their cities. WITHOUT GETTING INTO THE GAY RIGHTS ARGUMENT, does a mayor of a city have a right to ban a corporation that has broken no laws from operating within their city?

I view this as a direct block on free trade personally, and feel that Chick-Fil-A has every right to sue both Mayor Emanuel (Chicago) and Mayor Menino (Boston) to the gills for using a disagreement of INDIVIDUALS (Chick-Fil-A CEO v. the Mayors) as grounds to ban a business from legally operating. What say you?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/13988905-418/emanuel-goes-after-chick-fil-a-for-boss-anti-gay-views.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/284961/chick-fil-a-banned-from-boston-for-anti-gay-stance-mayor-says-bigoted-chain-unwelcome/
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I'd say that neither of the liberal mayors understand the 'separation of church and state' that liberals use all the time. They are refusing to permit the business because of the religious views of Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy. That will rear up and tear both of them a new one if Chick-fil-A takes them to court on discrimination due to religious belief and restraint of trade. Those bigoted tools may see their cities paying out a pile of money over this one.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It is simple to me: The boss of Chic-Filet likes Chicks, not XXXXs................:rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    I will happily eat any chicken, no matter it's orientation.I hope they open as many Chic-filets as the market will stand.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    I think they're definitely over reaching. Cities in the past have been able to keep out companies like Walmart or stripclubs and other adult businesses through zoning, but don't see how you can single out a specific company like this.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    I will happily eat any chicken, no matter it's orientation.I hope they open as many Chic-filets as the market will stand.

:buff::buff2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    I'll add that Rham is talking about the people of Chicago not wanting chick-fil-a in their city. Seems to me they can make that decision themselves by choosing to eat there or not.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    They can vote with their feet, and walk somewhere else....

A business tycoon opens his big blabbermouth and sticks his foot in it, and a political hack sees a way to get more votes by appearing tough on antigay tycoons..... Lots of political nonsense.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I believe that they only want to ban any more of their restaurants. I like the spicy chicken sandwhich they sell.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    Chick-fil-a is run by people that hold very strong christian beliefs. Not neccessarily "big blabbermouth tycoons" as some less aware individuals may like to think. They don't even allow any of their stores to be open on Sunday. Aaand they have the most awsome chicken biscuits in the morning.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    As others have already said, I can see a HUGE discrimination settlement in C-F-A's favor if they choose to pursue it.

I also agree the the others that have already said that if the people of those cities don't want C-F-a's there, not patronizing them will surely run them out of town quick, fast and in a hurry.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Chick-fil-a is run by people that hold very strong christian beliefs. Not neccessarily "big blabbermouth tycoons" as some less aware individuals may like to think. They don't even allow any of their stores to be open on Sunday. Aaand they have the most awsome chicken biscuits in the morning.

You are correct. But you can't disagree with the progressive liberals, they and they alone have the right to discriminate against folks who believe differently than they do. If the shoe were on the other foot and a mayor said he will ban anything except restaurants whose owners have Strong Christian beliefs and are Anti-LGBT all hell would break loose. The Justice Department/FBI/ACLU, you name it would zero in on them.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

Plus the statement was in regards to a question asked of the CEO.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Chick-fil-a should go where they are wanted and make money
    hand over fist and provide jobs there.

The local Chick-fil-a sure has not lost any business over this issue, it is just as
    crowded as before.

Small and medium town America needs a Chick-fil-a; let Boston and Chicago
    go to Chef Pierre's Chicken Bistro.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    According to one link in the OP, there is already one Chick-fil-A in Chicago. Guess Rahm was too poor to pay attention?
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The way I see it, a business is not a forum to express ones beliefs, I have My beliefs too, but I don't push them on anyone else, nor should I fight those that do not hold to them either.... If asked, I would simply say: I am here to sell food to anyone that would like to purchase it.... And leave My political views and religious beliefs out of the equation....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Chick Fil A, much better than Los Pollos Hermanos...

CFA could definitely go after them for discrimination, but unless they ( Chicago / Boston ) put up real road blocks, I doubt CFA would pursue it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    I couldn't care less about the Chick-Fil-A's religious views about gay marriage. Those views are certainly not the business of any government official until a prejudice appears in their employment or customer service practices.

On the other hand, his religious views about "resting on the seventh day" prevents me from getting a #4 sandwich combo on Sunday, and that REALLY pisses me off. Sorry dude, your god's a slacker, and it's one of only two days per week that your high-school workforce has available to earn a full shift worth of economy-stimulating bucks. Make me a sammich!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    I've never eaten at CFA, but that's about to change, and I'll be sure and tell the manager why I'm doing business with them. The PC politicians can go whiz up a rope!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    The way I see it, a business is not a forum to express ones beliefs, I have My beliefs too, but I don't push them on anyone else, nor should I fight those that do not hold to them either.... If asked, I would simply say: I am here to sell food to anyone that would like to purchase it.... And leave My political views and religious beliefs out of the equation....
    So how do you feel about businesses that express support for the Second Amendment? Should they leave their political and religious views out of the equation? Or those that support the freedom of speech?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Just another way to get free media coverage and hopefully get a few more votes. Tempest in a teapot. Or in this case, a deep fryer.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    By the way, the interview Dan Cathy gave was with The Baptist Press. Wonder how religion even entered into that interview?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member

We have some local elections comming up for some judge positions, county commission seats, and sheriff. Many local businesses have signs in their windows and out front supporting their favorite candidates. So you're saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do that? You would make a great democrat.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    Wow! My wife has just pointed out that the Urban Dictionary has a term for us:

Chik-Fil-Atheist
    July 26, 2012 Urban Word of the Day
    A person who loves Chik-Fil-A, but not God, and is therefore pissed that Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays.
    "Even though I'm an avowed Chik-Fil-Atheist, I tried to go to Chik-Fil-A on Sunday again. Damn it!"
    :roll2:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    The way I see it, a business is not a forum to express ones beliefs,

A private business, Hell No. You don't like my opinion shop elsewhere.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    They do not have a company policy against hiring gays or serving them as customers with professionalism a store manager was quoted as saying.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I loves me my chicken sammich, and have no plans to stop shopping at CFA...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I haven't ate at a Chick-fil-A in years and years,,,, they got to be to expensive, for a simple chicken sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am/was undert the impression, that at one time in this country a private or public business, reserved the right to accept or refuse any one they so desired!!!??? I have to agree with Teach, and say I never have agreeded with nor have I ever been to agreeable to "Political Correctnes." Political Correctness, diversity, are just two of the many issues that are destroying our Country today!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    It seems to me that these mayoral morons are promoting fascist policies their grandparents were once the victims of.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    It is a private business-- they can say or do what ever the heck that they want. I don't have to agree with it and I don't have to spend my money there if I don't want to (unless it is health insurance-- then the government can make you buy that). I am not saying that it is a smart way to run a business, but they are welcome to do it that way.

I think Starbucks has the right idea-- they stay the hell out of politics and will sell their overpriced, crappy coffee to anyone.
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    Mayor Rahm stated that Chick-fil-a doesn't reflect the standards & feelings of the City of Chicago and is therefore not welcome here.
    This in the same week that he has partnered with Louis Farakan & the Nation of Islam to work on the violence problem in the city.
    Does Farakan & his group reflect the standards & feelings of the city ? Ayayay- How absurd can they get on the left!!