Chick-fil-a v. Chicago, Boston NOT A GAY RIGHTS THREAD

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Everything has a time and a place, there are notable exceptions too, however, if you are running a fast food establishment serving the general public, you have to decide what is best for business, I don't believe Government should be able to deny a business license based on politics, however, if a business owner decides to stir the political pot, he or she will have to deal with the consequences of stirring the pot.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    They just got a new customer here.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Haven't eaten at chick-fil-a in years, and have no intentions to start back. This has nothing to do with the owner's beliefs and everything to do with the fact that I'm not real crazy about their food. :tooth:

Although I gotta admit, they do make a pretty good vanilla milkshake.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Their vice president of public relations just died of a heart attack today...
    http://news.yahoo.com/chick-fil-vice-president-public-relations-dies-heart-192201763--abc-news-politics.html
    That has got to be rough.
  • yotesalotyotesalot New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I disagree. If i owned a business and wanted to do (insert whatever you want here) then i would. Cause its my business. And if it failed because of my policies, beliefs, whatever, its my business to lose.
    Funny how the politicians are trying to keep a business that supplies.....jobs....out of their town.

Wait .. He didn't build it! O Did.. So alls fair..
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    I know where I stand on this. Chik Fil A should go to the next step and openly promote responsible open carry, in the name of protecting the employees and customers against evil communist scum.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Everything has a time and a place, there are notable exceptions too, however, if you are running a fast food establishment serving the general public, you have to decide what is best for business, I don't believe Government should be able to deny a business license based on politics, however, if a business owner decides to stir the political pot, he or she will have to deal with the consequences of stirring the pot.....
    By the way, the interview Dan Cathy gave was with The Baptist Press. Wonder how religion even entered into that interview?

You did see this quote by breamfisher, didn't you? He wasn't simply "stirring the pot".
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    Evidently, as a business owner, Cathy should have declined comment.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,464 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

Doc, as others have pointed out, Cathy was answering a question during an interview about his own personal beliefs. He was NOT just spouting off, nor was he in any way intimating that HIS position is the COMPANY'S position. Yes, folks can decide not to patronize CFA due to his beliefs, but in no way shape or form can a governmental entity punish CFA for that, nor should they. Incidentally, many CFAs are franchises so any boycott serves only to hurt the 'little guy' who didn't voice any opinion at all, not the big guy who did.

There are many businesses out there that openly support many worthy or not-so-worthy causes. Who gets to decide which causes are 'okay' and whch aren't or which businesses should be punished and which should be supported? Emmanuel and Menino each have the right to voice their displeasure at Cathy's admission. Neither has the right to ban CFA based on that criteria.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    My only real concern is the poor slobs across the country that are scraping by working at Chick-fil-a. They will be the ones that are severely affected by their CEO's remarks if they get boycotted or something.
    Maybe. But it's also created a groundswell of support for the company. Aug. 1 is not "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day."
    Overkill is underrated.
    Two photos that are going around the interwebz that point to some of the hypocrisy of the situation:

24008763.jpg

chick-fil-a_gasoline.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CaptainAhabCaptainAhab Member Posts: 93 Member
    The above post is perfect. Seems like an opportune time for the right to fight back on equal grounds: How about Gov. Jindel (sp) pointing out the stupidity by saying no company with a homosexual can operate in LA?!!! Of course it would be absurd, but the bleedin' hearts would absolutely go into contortions! We can't win a war without fighting fire with fire.
    In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
    "Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Mayor Rahm stated that Chick-fil-a doesn't reflect the standards & feelings of the City of Chicago and is therefore not welcome here.
    This in the same week that he has partnered with Louis Farakan & the Nation of Islam to work on the violence problem in the city.
    Does Farakan & his group reflect the standards & feelings of the city ? Ayayay- How absurd can they get on the left!!

And what are the Nation of Islam's views towards homosexuals? Talk about being hypocritical.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    avmech wrote: »
    And what are the Nation of Islam's views towards homosexuals? Talk about being hypocritical.

Exactly the point, avmech.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    I dont eat fast food EVER and have not for over 6 years, but now I might make an exception and start eating occasionally at CF-A to support them.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hundreds of thousands of people are planning to participate in a "Chick-Fill-A appreciation day" coming up soon. The loud minority of idiots who are being critical of this gentleman's opinions must be smarting right about now! It's high time we told these jerks to take their opinions and shove 'em where the sun don't shine! Hmmmm- - - - -don't they do that anyway?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of people are planning to participate in a "Chick-Fill-A appreciation day" coming up soon. The loud minority of idiots who are being critical of this gentleman's opinions must be smarting right about now! It's high time we told these jerks to take their opinions and shove 'em where the sun don't shine! Hmmmm- - - - -don't they do that anyway?
    Jerry

Teach, I am in a lot of pain right now but that last part made me laugh. Thanks!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I hear them mayors support another chain of chicken joints called "Cock-a-doodle-will-do!":jester::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    228 murders in Chicago this year (by June). What were you saying about "Chicago Values" again?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Eli, they *do* make about the best milkshakes in town these days.

Damn you, now I have a craving!!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Exactly the point, avmech.

Yup, I know.

Also, why are those that cry that we should all tolerate their beliefs and ways are the most intolerant towards other people's beliefs and ways?
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Yup, I know.

Also, why are those that cry that we should all tolerate their beliefs and ways are the most intolerant towards other people's beliefs and ways?

Good point, we should all learn to be a bit more tolerant of intolerance...
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Eli, they *do* make about the best milkshakes in town these days.

Damn you, now I have a craving!!

If you're ever in Birmingham, go by a Milo's and get a milkshake (they also make the best burger sauce EVER). They only have two flavors, chocolate and vanilla. I do not like chocolate milkshakes, but the chocolate at Milo's is better than the vanilla from anywhere else..........and their vanilla is about twice as good as their chocolate!

I get one whenever I'm in B'ham, and it always reminds me of the $5 milkshake scene in Pulp Fiction.......they are THAT good!

:roll2:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member

Because to their warped, twisted way of thinking, they can do no wrong. Everybody else's ideas are irrelevant. Look at odumbo's "nose in the air" attitude toward us peons- - - -it's a prime example of liberal elitism!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Funny...pithy even!:up: But, are you suggesting that two wrongs make a right? :uhm: Or, is it that one side (if there is a 'side' in this one) is more wrong than the other? Frankly, it seemed to me to be a stright (no pun) up government vs. private business issue, but maybe I can be moved....
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Funny...pithy even!:up: But, are you suggesting that two wrongs make a right? :uhm: Or, is it that one side (if there is a 'side' in this one) is more wrong than the other? Frankly, it seemed to me to be a stright (no pun) up government vs. private business issue, but maybe I can be moved....

I made my position known on the primary issue of the thread on the first page. I was just poking a little fun of intolerant people resorting to arguments of tolerance over other people failing to tolerate their intolerance.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    I made my position known on the primary issue of the thread on the first page. I was just poking a little fun of intolerant people resorting to arguments of tolerance over other people failing to tolerate their intolerance.

I personally cannot tolerate others being intolerant of my intolerance. :tooth:

Seriously, I could give a fig whether Adam and Steve want to get jiggy with each other. I think it's wrong, just like I think folks shouldn't smoke. However, just like smoking, I'm not going to tell you that you should do things my way. I do retain the right to believe you're wrong but that's my belief and, according to a document some folks wrote a while back, one that I am entitled to. It is a belief that I do not expect others to adhere to, nor will I submit lightly to what others hold true. OTOH, if somebody ASKS me what my belief is, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll tell them exactly what it is...and from that point they can pound sand if it doesn't fit thier idea of right and proper.

That doesn't mean we can't all have a good laugh about this though!:roll2:
    George Carlin
    BTW Tolerance doesn't imply that you have to agree with someone's beliefs, actions, or life style, but it does imply that you accept their right to believe, act, or live accordingly.
    -DoctorWho