Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Chick-fil-a v. Chicago, Boston NOT A GAY RIGHTS THREAD

2

Replies

  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Haven't eaten at chick-fil-a in years, and have no intentions to start back. This has nothing to do with the owner's beliefs and everything to do with the fact that I'm not real crazy about their food. :tooth:


    Although I gotta admit, they do make a pretty good vanilla milkshake.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Their vice president of public relations just died of a heart attack today...
    http://news.yahoo.com/chick-fil-vice-president-public-relations-dies-heart-192201763--abc-news-politics.html
    That has got to be rough.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • yotesalotyotesalot New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I disagree. If i owned a business and wanted to do (insert whatever you want here) then i would. Cause its my business. And if it failed because of my policies, beliefs, whatever, its my business to lose.
    Funny how the politicians are trying to keep a business that supplies.....jobs....out of their town.

    Wait .. He didn't build it! O Did.. So alls fair..
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    I know where I stand on this. Chik Fil A should go to the next step and openly promote responsible open carry, in the name of protecting the employees and customers against evil communist scum.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Everything has a time and a place, there are notable exceptions too, however, if you are running a fast food establishment serving the general public, you have to decide what is best for business, I don't believe Government should be able to deny a business license based on politics, however, if a business owner decides to stir the political pot, he or she will have to deal with the consequences of stirring the pot.....
    By the way, the interview Dan Cathy gave was with The Baptist Press. Wonder how religion even entered into that interview?

    You did see this quote by breamfisher, didn't you? He wasn't simply "stirring the pot".
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Evidently, as a business owner, Cathy should have declined comment.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Everything has a time and a place, there are notable exceptions too, however, if you are running a fast food establishment serving the general public, you have to decide what is best for business, I don't believe Government should be able to deny a business license based on politics, however, if a business owner decides to stir the political pot, he or she will have to deal with the consequences of stirring the pot.....

    Doc, as others have pointed out, Cathy was answering a question during an interview about his own personal beliefs. He was NOT just spouting off, nor was he in any way intimating that HIS position is the COMPANY'S position. Yes, folks can decide not to patronize CFA due to his beliefs, but in no way shape or form can a governmental entity punish CFA for that, nor should they. Incidentally, many CFAs are franchises so any boycott serves only to hurt the 'little guy' who didn't voice any opinion at all, not the big guy who did.

    There are many businesses out there that openly support many worthy or not-so-worthy causes. Who gets to decide which causes are 'okay' and whch aren't or which businesses should be punished and which should be supported? Emmanuel and Menino each have the right to voice their displeasure at Cathy's admission. Neither has the right to ban CFA based on that criteria.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    My only real concern is the poor slobs across the country that are scraping by working at Chick-fil-a. They will be the ones that are severely affected by their CEO's remarks if they get boycotted or something.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Maybe. But it's also created a groundswell of support for the company. Aug. 1 is not "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Two photos that are going around the interwebz that point to some of the hypocrisy of the situation:

    24008763.jpg

    chick-fil-a_gasoline.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CaptainAhabCaptainAhab Member Posts: 93 Member
    The above post is perfect. Seems like an opportune time for the right to fight back on equal grounds: How about Gov. Jindel (sp) pointing out the stupidity by saying no company with a homosexual can operate in LA?!!! Of course it would be absurd, but the bleedin' hearts would absolutely go into contortions! We can't win a war without fighting fire with fire.
    In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
    "Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Mayor Rahm stated that Chick-fil-a doesn't reflect the standards & feelings of the City of Chicago and is therefore not welcome here.
    This in the same week that he has partnered with Louis Farakan & the Nation of Islam to work on the violence problem in the city.
    Does Farakan & his group reflect the standards & feelings of the city ? Ayayay- How absurd can they get on the left!!

    And what are the Nation of Islam's views towards homosexuals? Talk about being hypocritical.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    avmech wrote: »
    And what are the Nation of Islam's views towards homosexuals? Talk about being hypocritical.

    Exactly the point, avmech.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    I dont eat fast food EVER and have not for over 6 years, but now I might make an exception and start eating occasionally at CF-A to support them.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hundreds of thousands of people are planning to participate in a "Chick-Fill-A appreciation day" coming up soon. The loud minority of idiots who are being critical of this gentleman's opinions must be smarting right about now! It's high time we told these jerks to take their opinions and shove 'em where the sun don't shine! Hmmmm- - - - -don't they do that anyway?
    Jerry
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of people are planning to participate in a "Chick-Fill-A appreciation day" coming up soon. The loud minority of idiots who are being critical of this gentleman's opinions must be smarting right about now! It's high time we told these jerks to take their opinions and shove 'em where the sun don't shine! Hmmmm- - - - -don't they do that anyway?
    Jerry

    Teach, I am in a lot of pain right now but that last part made me laugh. Thanks!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I hear them mayors support another chain of chicken joints called "Cock-a-doodle-will-do!":jester::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    228 murders in Chicago this year (by June). What were you saying about "Chicago Values" again?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Eli, they *do* make about the best milkshakes in town these days.

    Damn you, now I have a craving!!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Exactly the point, avmech.

    Yup, I know.

    Also, why are those that cry that we should all tolerate their beliefs and ways are the most intolerant towards other people's beliefs and ways?
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Eli, they *do* make about the best milkshakes in town these days.

    Damn you, now I have a craving!!


    If you're ever in Birmingham, go by a Milo's and get a milkshake (they also make the best burger sauce EVER). They only have two flavors, chocolate and vanilla. I do not like chocolate milkshakes, but the chocolate at Milo's is better than the vanilla from anywhere else..........and their vanilla is about twice as good as their chocolate!


    I get one whenever I'm in B'ham, and it always reminds me of the $5 milkshake scene in Pulp Fiction.......they are THAT good!
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Good point, we should all learn to be a bit more tolerant of intolerance...



    :roll2:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    Also, why are those that cry that we should all tolerate their beliefs and ways are the most intolerant towards other people's beliefs and ways?

    Because to their warped, twisted way of thinking, they can do no wrong. Everybody else's ideas are irrelevant. Look at odumbo's "nose in the air" attitude toward us peons- - - -it's a prime example of liberal elitism!
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Good point, we should all learn to be a bit more tolerant of intolerance...


    Funny...pithy even!:up: But, are you suggesting that two wrongs make a right? :uhm: Or, is it that one side (if there is a 'side' in this one) is more wrong than the other? Frankly, it seemed to me to be a stright (no pun) up government vs. private business issue, but maybe I can be moved....
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    I made my position known on the primary issue of the thread on the first page. I was just poking a little fun of intolerant people resorting to arguments of tolerance over other people failing to tolerate their intolerance.

    I personally cannot tolerate others being intolerant of my intolerance. :tooth:

    Seriously, I could give a fig whether Adam and Steve want to get jiggy with each other. I think it's wrong, just like I think folks shouldn't smoke. However, just like smoking, I'm not going to tell you that you should do things my way. I do retain the right to believe you're wrong but that's my belief and, according to a document some folks wrote a while back, one that I am entitled to. It is a belief that I do not expect others to adhere to, nor will I submit lightly to what others hold true. OTOH, if somebody ASKS me what my belief is, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll tell them exactly what it is...and from that point they can pound sand if it doesn't fit thier idea of right and proper.

    That doesn't mean we can't all have a good laugh about this though!:roll2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    BTW Tolerance doesn't imply that you have to agree with someone's beliefs, actions, or life style, but it does imply that you accept their right to believe, act, or live accordingly.
    Wow! You sound like a libertarian.

    How does a pinko commie libtard like you come to that conclusion?:wink:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    BTW Tolerance doesn't imply that you have to agree with someone's beliefs, actions, or life style, but it does imply that you accept their right to believe, act, or live accordingly.


    A view that surprisingly few of the 'open-minded and tolerant' crowd ever demonstrate. Almost invariably, if somebody is crying intolerance they are doing so in order that 'you' accept 'them'. Not so much going the other way. IOW, if 'I' am hammering 'you', it's because 'you've' got the wrong ideas, not because 'I'm' intolerant. You know, that whole pot/kettle thing. It's easy (and permissible) to be intolerant when you're right and those you discriminate against are so very wrong.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    For your consideration, even if the rights of the states supersedes the First Amendment, the Massachusetts Constitution and Bill of Rights also protects free speech, in Part 1:

    "XXI.--The freedom of deliberation, speech and debate, in either house of the legislature, is so essential to the rights of the people, that it cannot be the foundation of any accusation or prosecution, action or complaint, in any other court or place whatsoever."

    http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/bill_of_rightss6.html
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I was just poking a little fun of intolerant people resorting to arguments of tolerance over other people failing to tolerate their intolerance.

    Is that not the wrong phrase to use in this context?:tooth:
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    A great test of any statement or political stance that targets a specific group is to change out the group name and see if it's still an acceptable statement for someone to make. Here are some examples:

    Conservatives should not be allowed to serve in the military as their presence reduces the combat effectiveness of our fighting force

    Mixed race couples are an abomination and go against god's will and allowing them to marry is an attack on traditional marriage

    Christianity does not reflect the standards and feelings of the city of Chicago and is not welcome here

    Maybe I'm not following something here, but it seems to me that if you can arbitrarily change the group name to something else, then you probably COULD get the statement to be acceptable. Such as:

    "Militant jihadists should not be allowed to serve in the military as their presence reduces the combat effectiveness of our fighting force."

    "Brother/sister couples are an abomination and go against god's will and allowing them to marry is an attack on traditional marriage."

    "Satanism does not reflect the standards and feelings of the city of Chicago and is not welcome here."

    I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, I'm just not understanding the point.....
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement