Bill O'Reilly on guns

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,666 Senior Member
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    He is a moron
    Wow! I will not disagree with that.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,597 Senior Member
    BAH! That video disturbed me so much I couldn't watch it all, Bill O'Reilly is a closet commie.He considers heavy weapons to be anything greater than .177 cal.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    I watched his 'debate' with several on so called 'heavy weapons'. He started his comments declaring heavy weapons as mortars and machine guns, and then switched the definition to AKs and other semi-automatics when it was pointed out to him that it was already just about impossible to get a mortar or a machine gun. Instead of taking an opportunity to be educated by someone more knowledgeable than him (Rep. Chaffetz of Utah and later Lou Dobbs), he just started his normal BS of shouting his opponent down. Later, when someone wrote in and asked him to define heavy weapons, he weazled out and said that was best left to the legislature.

I like to watch bull crap Bill, as he is usually somewhat fair and balanced, and will often allow someone to state a viewpoint contrary to his. On this issue, though, he is totally off base, and needs to do schooled on the facts.

Last night, when Lou Dobbs was his guest, he stated that it was already a law in the US/Mexico border states (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California) that all sales of semi-automatic rifles be reported to the feds. Dobbs responded that this was something that Eric Holder had recently implemented. I may have misunderstood what he was saying, but this is news to me. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    O'Reilly is something that I won't name here, because it will likely get me banned, and I'm rather fond of this little corner of teh intarwebz...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    He is a moron:

A misinformed one to boot.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    A misinformed one to boot.

I sent this email to O'Reilly on Tuesday after his Talking Points Monday,
    Bill
    Your talking points are as ignorant as Bill Moyers comments suggesting gun control.

1.You suggested that all "Heavy Weapons" and "Heavy Weapon Ammo" sale should be reported to the F.B.I.

I recommend you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_II_weapons that pertains to Title II weapons and the NFA (National Firearms Act of 1936, that controls all sale, etc. of machine guns and other explosive devices, etc. Of which you are ignorant.

2. You said some gun dealers do background checks, but no body reports "Heavy Weapons", like the AK-47 to the Feds.

If the AK-47 is a semi auto firearm the dealer completes a Firearms Transaction Record form 4473 and submits to ATF for approval before delivery of the firearm to the customer. It includes Manufacturer, model, serial #, type of firearm, caliber or gauge. Again of which you are ignorant.

3. You stated someone can buy a machine gun and the Feds do not know.
    Class II firearms (machine guns) are the most controlled firearms of all types of firearms since 1936 and the NFA was established into law. Again of which you are ignorant.

4. Congress should pass :
    a. Heavy weapon reporting procedure. See Item 1
    b. Mandatory Minimum sentences for crimes committed with a gun. The Federal Government has no authority to create any Law using a firearm unless it pertains to those Laws that are Federal Crimes.
    States reserve the right to pass laws for the use of firearms in the course of a State Crime in their Criminal Laws. It appears you do not understand States Rights relating to establish State Criminal Laws.

In summary your criticism of Bill Moyers and Brian Ross in their reporting before they had the facts or had knowledge of what they were talking about applies equally to you and your ignorance of the existing laws in this area.

Maybe you should have your research staff do some research on a subject before you present yout Talking Points on a subject you are clueless.

Then after his rant on Tuesday's show I sent this email
    Bill

Again tonight you argued with Congressman Jason Chaffetz of Utah about buying a AK-47 semi-auto and ammo for the same gun.

News Flash the shooter was using a AR-15 5.56x45mm cal. (.223cal.) not a AK-47 Soviet semi-auto 7.62x39mm cal. You don't even know what model or caliber of gun he was using.

News Flash he bought 3,000 rds. of 7.62x39mm rifle ammo
    3,000 rds. of .40 cal. handgun ammo
    350 rds. of 12 ga. shotgun shells
    for a total of 6,350 rds. NOT 60,000 rounds that you kept repeating and want the F.B.I. to investigate monitor all ammo purchases.

1. AK-47 semi-auto can be sold by any Class A FFL dealer filling out the same forms 4473 I listed previously today in my email that is sent to the ATF to do a background check on the buyer and if he passes they notify the dealer that he is approved for purchase. You continue to confuse the semi-auto version of the AK-47 with the full auto AK-47 which requires the buyer to buy a tax stamp and only a Class III dealer can sell any full auto weapon as spelled out in the NFA National Firearms Act of 1936.

2. The ballistics for a AK-47
    7.62x39mm Soviet rd. w/ a 124 gr. bullet 1520 ft. lbs. of energy
    AR-15 Rifle uses a
    5.56x45mm rd w/ 55 gr. bullet 1282 ft. lbs.of energy

Winchester Lever Action .30-.30 cal. 150 gr. 1902 ft. lbs. of energy
    Which shows that neither the AK-47 or the AR-15 are the most dangerous rifle calibers someone could choose for a lot of damage.

The more you talk about firearms and ammunition on your show the more of an uninformed host you become about the FACTS. You are as much an embarrassment as Bill Moyers is with his gun control drivel, you just keep harping about more laws that already exist and suggesting the F.B.I. investigate ammo purchases demonstrates you have no conception about the volume of ammo purchased by the public.

Stick to something you have had your research crew investigate before you spout off on a topic that you are clueless about. Maybe you should borrow one of Obama's teleprompter's so you can read the facts and not look so foolish like he does when he does not use one. Your ranting a raving is pathetic on this subject. You are beginning to sound like the other Gun Control Politicians that are clueless.

No surprise I never got a reply. He claims to be so fair, yet is as ignorant to Firearm Laws, Firearms facts, etc. He ignored the Congressman from Utah that was trying to explain the facts. He even continued to talk about AK-47, jut like Obama's reference in a recent speech.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Very good.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Very good.

I sent this letter to the USATODAY Editor for printing on their Letters Pg. but they did not choose to print as of yet.

Democrats Call for More Gun Control after Movie Theater Tragedy

My sincere condolences and prayers for all of the victims and families from the shooting in a Aurora, Colorado Movie Theater this past weekend.

Even before the dead bodies had been removed from the theater the Democrats were on television promoting more ineffective Gun Control. Immediately using Rahm Emanuel's well known tactic that "you never want a serious crisis to go to waste." to promote the progressive’s agenda.

While most politicians were offering sympathy and condolences to the families and victims as a result of this terrible tragedy, some Democrats took a more crass position. Mayor Bloomberg, from NYC was on the TV challenging Obama and Romney for Gun Control before the Governor of Colorado even spoke of the tragedy.

Sunday Morning, and the many talk shows, offered more calls for another AWB (Assault Weapons Ban) that was ineffective when it was in force and finally expired. Demonizing semi-auto Assault Weapons as not being used for hunting or more deadly then other weapons, demonstrates their lack of knowledge or facts in this area.

A study for Congress before that ban: “The banned weapons and magazines were never used in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders”. Police reports and Federal Felon Surveys have always shown that Assault Weapons (AWs) were used in only 1-2% of violent crimes. Crime victim surveys indicated the figure was only 0.25%. Murders with knives, clubs and hands exceed these numbers by AWs by over 20-to-1. There were 12 straight years of “more guns, less crime”. During that period the number of privately owned guns, including thousands of AWs and similar guns had risen by more than 60 million and the number of large magazines (holding over 10 rounds) had risen by 50 million since 1994. Yet with all of the increase of AWs and large capacity magazines violent crime has been on the decrease.

The Government was not successful in stopping the Ft. Hood shooter based on recent reports suggesting red flags were not followed up and investigated by the Army or the F.B.I. Could this be a case of “Political Correctness” going awry?

I challenge any politician to prove that any gun control law in effect or proposed has or will reduce crime. If the alleged shooter had used homemade bombs in the theater, he would have killed or injured considerably more then he did. Everything he purchased was done legally.

With freedom there are risk and determined individuals will always have the opportunity to succeed in creating a tragedy.

I have been fortunate to have others letters printed about Gun Control in the past, one being 'Gun-Free zones' make vulnerable people targets. I should send this to the Movie Theater with their current policy.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Bill's producers really let him down on this one. You can't put on a show like his with bad information like that. Makes him look like a total idiot. And of course, he takes on 100% of the responsibility for his ignorance by not finding out the truth and correcting the record.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Last night, when Lou Dobbs was his guest, he stated that it was already a law in the US/Mexico border states (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California) that all sales of semi-automatic rifles be reported to the feds. Dobbs responded that this was something that Eric Holder had recently implemented. I may have misunderstood what he was saying, but this is news to me. Does anyone know anything about this?

There are new purchase forms to fill out with the additional question that asks if you are white AND hispanic, apparenly to link up sales of military style firearms to this demographic.

Excellent post Nomadac.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    There are new purchase forms to fill out with the additional question that asks if you are white AND hispanic, apparenly to link up sales of military style firearms to this demographic.

Excellent post Nomadac.

I"ve done a little research since I posted my question. In July of last year (2011), the Obama administration imposed a new regulation requiring licensed gun dealers in the 4 border states to report all sales of 2 or more semi-auto rifles greater than 22 caliber to the same person in a 5 day span. Perhaps this has been cussed and discussed, but I have missed it.

There are members of congress, as well as the NRA, who are fighting this.

Here are some links that describe the program.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-executive-orders-impose-new-gun-rules/

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/05/gun-rights-backers-work-to-thwart-obama-rifle-sales-reporting-rule/

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-11/us/rifle.sales.reporting_1_gun-dealers-gun-sales-atf?_s=PM:US
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Just like every other reporter, Bill switches on the doofus switch when he starts talking/writing about firearms....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Not only is Bill O'Reilly a moron he's just another uninformed anti-gunner instigator, that likes to stir the pot!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't watch the whole video either... What a disgusting embiclle, extreme leftist, left wing liberal, who has a part in the disarming of the American people!!!!!! Bill O'Reilly makes about as much sense, as a submarine with screen doors!!!!!!!!!!! He ain't got enough sense to pour water out of a boot,if the instructions were written on the heel!!!! I never watched the show the O'Reilly Factor, and now I know fer a fact I ain't going to watch that inept imbiclle! My Grand dad used to say: "Find 'em dumb, leave 'em dumb."
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Good letter/email, there Nomadac!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it straightens out the O'Reilly Factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Just like every other reporter, Bill switches on the doofus switch when he starts talking/writing about firearms....

:rotflmao::rotflmao::spittingcoffee::that::agree: Ya know Jayhawker, 99.999999% of these so called reporter like Bill, keep their "doofus switch" in the on position all of the time... they ain't got no off position!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Correction: O'Reilly's a commentator, not a reporter. At least now he is....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Correction: O'Reilly's a commentator, not a reporter. At least now he is....

Either way, he still is a mis-informed moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    O'Reilly is a legend in his own mind. He talks over his guests, and makes ridiculous statements just to keep the pot stirring. He's the quintessential rude New Yorker, and he plays it to the hilt!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite