Home Main Category Personal Defense

Fit for defense?

BillyDBillyD MemberPosts: 191 Member
I mostly read in this section and keep my mouth shut, or my fingers idle how ever you want to look at it. I would not want to let my ignorance show.

I have to ask, do any of you put any stock in personal fitness for the sake of self defense even though you may be using a firearm? I have seen many posts about what gun, what holster, what ammo, and so on. However I have never read anything on personal fitness. It seems to me that being in good shape would be beneficial even when using a firearm for self defense. Being able to maneuver easily and perhaps put some distance between you and an aggressor would be good right? I could be biased since I have spent so much time learning hand to hand self defense where being in shape is mandatory. I am sure you could adequately defend yourself with a shotgun while sitting up in bed if necessary. But would you not be better off to be able to jump behind the dresser?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    Yes I have given it some consideration.

I do my best to maintain personal fitness either way. Aside from meeting the Army Fitness Standards I participate regularly in Triathlons and Marathons. I don't want to sound smug but it's just part of who I am and what I like to do.

I know a lot of people who, in addition to firearms and a CHL, train in some kind of Martial Arts as well. I've given it some thought, but not that much to be honest. I figure, with a young and relatively unbroken body, I should be in good enough shape that if the average BG gets close enough I can do my best to push him/her away, and hopefully run fast enough to keep that from happening!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think all things considered, being physically fit is ones first priority in life period.
    When you are fit, all things work better.

It is something I need to work on, lose weight etc.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    I might be fat, but I sure am slow.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Of course it's important...however (and more importantly) you must also develop your self defense skills taking your REAL (not imagined) abilities (and infirmities) into consideration. Here's the deal...I am no longer in my 20s, I can't run like I did then, I am no longer a fraction as agile as I was then. The years have taken their toll, bad knees, a crappy lower back etc etc etc...consequently, I have had to increase my situational awareness in order to avoid circumstances, increase my boundaries from the traditional 21 feet...you get the idea. You can stay in shape and still have some serious limitations and you are going to have to do things differently in order to compensate for them
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    That will be a good thing to keep in mind as I get older. I am young and in what I would consider great shape, but I am sure some day I will not be. I am sure I "imagine" my abilities to be greater than they are, but I get to do that until I am at least 35 right?:jester: I was just saying that maybe it would be worth spending some time in the gym, as much as going to the shooting range. I did not mean to imply that you have to be in shape to defend yourself. Just that it may be easier if you were. I could be completely out of my head on this too. I would be willing to concede that maybe you are far better off at the range than the gym, as skill with your weapon will overcome shortcoming in the fitness area.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    When the BG gets in a lucky punch, or a lucky first shot, personal fitness becomes a moot point. Unless the attack is totally unexpected, I hope I never have to deal with an assailant I've allowed to get within arm's reach!
    Jerry
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I think all things considered, being physically fit is ones first priority in life period.When you are fit, all things work better.
    Bingo! Not to mention, it gives you more options besides just standing there slinging lead. Yes we age. Yes we can't do the things we use to do. But staying in the best shape one possibly can for their age and ability certainly ain't gonna hurt in a defensive situation and your bag of options is better than standing there hoping you don't get hit.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    Seeing as exercise only makes me want to shoot MYSELF, a physical fitness regimen would only help my opponent.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Of course it's important...however (and more importantly) you must also develop your self defense skills taking your REAL (not imagined) abilities (and infirmities) into consideration. Here's the deal...I am no longer in my 20s, I can't run like I did then, I am no longer a fraction as agile as I was then. The years have taken their toll, bad knees, a crappy lower back etc etc etc...consequently, I have had to increase my situational awareness in order to avoid circumstances, increase my boundaries from the traditional 21 feet...you get the idea. You can stay in shape and still have some serious limitations and you are going to have to do things differently in order to compensate for them

I see we're in the same boat. I exercise regularly just to stay somewhat mobile. Sure not going to win any marathons or dance contests.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    I'd rather be able to run away than actually have to shoot someone.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    I'm pretty serious about my fitness. I train in the gym 4 days a week, lifting weights. While I don't compete, I consider myself a bodybuilder. I do hope to compete some day. I used to be all about the cardio- running all the time. Then I got hooked on lifting. I've had a couple back injuries that I have to train around and they keep me from running now as well. I can run, just not like I used to or I'll be in a lot of pain. I also eat a pretty healthy diet.... minus the beer. Once upon a time I was a black belt in Kempo and an asssistant instructor at my Dojo. I stopped training in martial arts about 6 years ago when I had a bad year, injury wise- low back injury, torn groin muscle and hand surgery from a work injury. I just needed some extended recovery but found it hard to get back in the swing of things later on. Since then I've trained sporadically. I can still fight, just not like I used to. Even at 38 I'm still fairly agile. I've surprised people at work (bartending) a few times by jumping over the bar to break up a fight. I've been behind the bar for over 15 years and broke up a lot of fights, kicked out a lot of guys and have yet to get my but kicked in the process. First time for everything though, lol!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    DeanC wrote: »

I'd change that to "I'd rather be able to run away, but still actually shoot the criminal who attacks me and forces me to defend either my life or someone else's."

I see no reason to want to run away to fight another day if I can insure that neither I, nor anybody else, have to run away from a criminal again.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    You may see no reason, but there's no reason to express that, at least not from a legal standpoint of something that could be pulled up and taken as premeditation.

Dean's answer is the courtroom/civil suit correct one.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    DeanC wrote: »

+1

I was big into martial arts when young, then got complacent and let myself go, far, far away.

What got me back into working out where guns, after getting seriously into them and a number of trips to the range I got invited to participate in IPSC matches, I loved it but was so out of shape then that if a stage required for one to kneel I had to leave the kneeling part for last because it took about 5 guys to help me get back on my feet, for some time now I can do that fine on my own, still slower than the young guys but every once in a while I give them a surprise.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    BillyD:
    Don't pick 35 as your limit----do what you can until the Doc says to stop something----then do what else you can to keep active.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    I do not plan on ever giving up on fitness. I was saying that I would give up the inflated view I have of my physical ability.(I get to be young and cocky until then.)
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Seeing as exercise only makes me want to shoot MYSELF, a physical fitness regimen would only help my opponent.

There is the perfect exercise, swimming !!!
    With few exceptions, anyone can do it, zero impact very good for the cardiovascular system., talk to your PCP first, but I have yet to see anyone that could not do some sort of modified aquatic exercises.

Best thing is that you do not need a full size pool either, just enough area to move around holding onto a bar, a 12 foot by six foot six foot deep pool would suffice.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Or you can watch that "Sit and be Fit" show with the old broad in the Richard Simmons outfit. Hey, it's low impact!
    Might as well get big sexy to do an exercise show..... or is it exorcise ???? exorcism ?? :uhm:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't need no dang physical fitness...............I'll just whip out my HI Point or Taurus Judge and blow the Bad Guys to smithereens. I won't need to run because they all will be DRT:tooth:

Seriously, the better physical/mental condition you in, the better you are able to make logical decisions and deal with/recover from traumatic situations. It's different for everyone. You can't expect to be able to beat up everyone or just shoot everyone either. Having said that, Sam Colt's famous statement about the .45 Colt being an equalizer has a lot of merit to it.

I hope and pray I'll never have to shoot anyone in SD/HD and will take all measures I can to get away/diffuse the situation, that is, until there is no way out. It's much better to let the police deal with it, if possible. But if I have to, I want to be mentally/physically capable to deal with any situation.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Might as well get big sexy to do an exercise show..... or is it exorcise ???? exorcism ?? :uhm:

Who is big sexy? Rosie O'Donnell?:yikes::yikes:

Re: Fit for defense?

Or you can watch that "Sit and be Fit" show with the old broad in the Richard Simmons outfit. Hey, it's low impact!

Re: Cactus Shooter

BTW, Richard Simmons is a very nice man and does a lot of unpublicized work/donations to help folks out. Mrs Chief met him at Doll Collectors conventions before and has nothing but praise for him. I agree, but still don't wanna workout or dance with the boy!:tooth: Besides, he has been known to ****/Beach slap a few folks when he is mad"imoit::silly::silly:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I get a lot of exercise running around in circles, jumping to conclusions, and pushing the limits. :tooth:
    Seriously, I can't run very fast anymore, and my knees wouldn't take much more abuse, anyway. Both hands have problems from numerous broken bones and a few mashed knuckles. Right index finger middle joint is pretty stiff today; can't bend it enough to touch the heel of my thumb; not gonna make a fist with that hand today. Both shoulders are messed up from years of turning valve handles at work, and doing work on the farm. If I'd known I'd live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

So my choices are limited to using whatever is available to me for cover, obstruction of the aggressor, or the use of deadly force if the situation cannot be defused. If I knew for certain that any aggressor I met would be unarmed, or armed only with a knife, I'd just take a 5 1/2 foot carbon fiber boat paddle wherever I went. Might look silly, but it's effective.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams