Home Main Category General Firearms

Shotgun dilemma

saxdsaxd MemberPosts: 40 Member
I have a somewhat old shotgun that has recently given me some problems. The hammer is not engaging the firing pin. The firing pin is not broken. I can eject the shell, reinsert it, and about 1 out of 20 times the shotgun will fire.
My buddy, who is a gunsmith, says he thinks its a spring?
Dry firing it does not give me a "click" ..

Well anyway, all problems aside, the shotgun holds no sentimental value to me and I am considering fixing it and then trading it out.
It is a S&W model 1000 super 12 that would be ideal for someone who hunts waterfowl. I see them sell for 250-500 on the internet.. Mine is in excellent condition (minus the firing problem which will be fixed.)

I really don't want to put anymore money into the trade than what it will cost to repair the shotgun and maybe $25, because I am saving for an AR. Realistically I plan on taking it to the pawn shop and getting an even trade for a mossberg 500. Ideally I would like to push for a Remington 870. I plan on pushing the selling point that my gun is not manufactured anymore and 500's and 870's can be picked up at Walmart. Hopefully that will give me some leverage with the pawn shop owners who low-ball all the friggin time.

I was thinking though... Do gun shows offer trades? There is one coming to town in a few weeks. I have never attended one, because I refuse to pay an entrance fee when there are over 20 gun shops within 30 minutes of my home.

Also is a trade for an 870 a realistic expectation and should I push for that?

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I would trade a Mossberg 500 for a S&W 1000 in non working order if I had the chance.

It may just need a good cleaning however...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • saxdsaxd Member Posts: 40 Member
    It's definitely clean. It had a complete breakdown cleaning about 50 rounds ago.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    I have struck up trades at gun shows many times. If that is what you're asking.
    Well guess what guys and gals. I fixed the gun myself. Somehow the bolt was getting hung on the end of the barrel. I took the gun completely apart and reassembled it. I was feeling pretty manly and gun-smart.... Then.....
    I took my shotgun to a guy to take a look at. It amazes me just how dumb I can be at times. The guy I took it too, who really knows his stuff took one look at it and said "hang on let me check something"

He pulls out this little measuring tool that looks similar to a plumbers wrench only thinner and smaller. He measures various spots along the barrel and then says "yup, just as I thought... Not interested"

When I ask why, he procedes to show me that the end of the barrel is swelled. Not by much, but maybe a 0.8 mm. He tells me someone shot a slug out of my gun and the barrel is compromised. I never shot a slug out of it, but I didn't buy it new either. I got it from a pawn shop.

So guess what I did... I took it straight back to the very same pawn shop I bought it from and traded it for a Mossberg 500 plus I got $25 in my pocket.

I think I did ok, trading a flawed gun for a Mossberg... Live and Learn.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Making a gun with a bulged barrel somebody else's problem without telling them about it- - - - -while that might not be unsafe, it's certainly unscrupulous. I doubt if you'll get many congratulations from this crew!
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    saxd wrote: »
    So guess what I did... I took it straight back to the very same pawn shop I bought it from and traded it for a Mossberg 500 plus I got $25 in my pocket.

You really don't see anything wrong with this?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

Did the guy at the pawn shop recognize the S&W, or remember selling it to you?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    He tells me someone shot a slug out of my gun and the barrel is compromised.

Sounds like a load of hooey to me...highly unlikely that a slug would bulge a shotgun barrel...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I agree, it does not sound right.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Teach wrote: »
    Making a gun with a bulged barrel somebody else's problem without telling them about it- - - - -while that might not be unsafe, it's certainly unscrupulous. I doubt if you'll get many congratulations from this crew!
    Jerry

Buford wrote: »
    You really don't see anything wrong with this?

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Did the guy at the pawn shop recognize the S&W, or remember selling it to you?

Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of hooey to me...highly unlikely that a slug would bulge a shotgun barrel...

Well I bought it that way from him flawed, so I see no problem.returning it flawed.
    There was choke on the gun that was intended for bird shot...so yes a slug could do that.
    Finally yes he recognized me. He was convinced that a s&w shotgun was the greatest shotgun ever when he sold it too me so I guess he figured he could profit off selling it again.
    Of course this is also a guy who was claiming a Taurus Judge is the best HD handgun.
    Also a guy who wants $200 for a mossberg 500 and $350 for a winchester model 12 both in 95% condition.
    Probably a guy who should not be dealing in arms..
    Also there is a chance he knew he sold me a flawed gun and thats why he gave me a deal, though honestly, I think he was just dumb.
    There was choke on the gun that was intended for bird shot...so yes a slug could do that.

How does a choke for bird shot differ from any other choke?

Shotgun slugs are sub-caliber in diameter and are able to be fired through any standard choke safely...though not necessarily accurately. My research shows that the Model1000 Super 12 came with Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full choke tubes... All of which can safely handle slugs....

I have seen an older tightly choked double that was damaged by shooting a seasons worth of steel shot...it not only bulged the muzzle, but sprung the ribs as well....However, with the advent of steel shot...shooters were warned that running that stuff through older guns wasn't a good idea....some just didn't get the message...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    How does a choke for bird shot differ from any other choke?

Shotgun slugs are sub-caliber in diameter and are able to be fired through any standard choke safely...though not necessarily accurately. My research shows that the Model1000 Super 12 came with Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full choke tubes... All of which can safely handle slugs....

I have seen an older tightly choked double that was damaged by shooting a seasons worth of steel shot...it not only bulged the muzzle, but sprung the ribs as well....However, with the advent of steel shot...shooters were warned that running that stuff through older guns wasn't a good idea....some just didn't get the message...

Hell if I have the answer to some of those questions you ask...

All I know is the gunsmith showed me the measurements and after seeing them and slowly running my fingers along the barrel I could even feel the bulge.
    Perhaps I will show this thread to the gunsmith the next time I am in his shop and ask him to answer your question, as I took him at face value.
    All I know is the guy graduated from a gunsmith school, can do just about anything you ask him to do with a gun, and has never failed to give me a good answer.
    If he says a slug damaged it, I believe him.
    If he says a slug damaged it, I believe him.

You do that....but if he told you that someone running heavy steel shot through a full choke tube not rated for steel...it would be more believable...
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    The last 4" or so of my Stoeger M2000 barrel is about 1mm wider than the middle portion of the barrel...

...and so are 3 other M2000's I measured.

A little more material where internal threads are cut is not a bad thing.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I suspect steel shot, which will buldge a barrel. As for the store owner knowing it was buldged when he sold it to you, I doubt he would have taken it back knowing that. It's the inside measurements that matter, and those can best (maybe only) be determined with a bore measuring tool. You can feel a buldge on a shotgun barrel or any rifle barrel by running the barrel between your thumb and forefinger.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    The last 4" or so of my Stoeger M2000 barrel is about 1mm wider than the middle portion of the barrel...

...and so are 3 other M2000's I measured.

A little more material where internal threads are cut is not a bad thing.

I thought perhaps it could be, but I tried to find anything that said the barrel of this gun (or any barrel by the manufacturer that s&w contracted to make) was swaged with a technique that would cause the external of the barrel to bulge and couldn't find one instance.
    There are several swaging techniques and I know some do cause the barrel to bulge but a lot dont. I couldn't find any info on this barrel at all.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well he gave you a bad one this time. There is no way a soft lead slug will bulge the choke area of a steel barrel. I've fired them through full chokes in a trap gun (hey I neede to go deer hunting in a shotgun only area and the Trap 1100 was the only gun I had on short notice at the time) with no ill effect except really crappy accuracy. Maybe overuse of steel shot but a slug? Nope... Sorry.

Well thank you for the tips. I think I will have to ask him to explain more next time instead of taking it at face value. In reality, if he was wrong and perhaps even the barrel was fine, I am still happy with the the trade I got. The model 1000 was a pain in the butt to completely disassemble and reassemble. The mossberg 500 I was able to disassemble, thoroughly clean, and reassemble in no time at all. That in itself was worth trading the gun for to me.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Well I bought it that way from him flawed, so I see no problem.returning it flawed.
    Finally yes he recognized me. He was convinced that a s&w shotgun was the greatest shotgun ever when he sold it too me so I guess he figured he could profit off selling it again.
    Of course this is also a guy who was claiming a Taurus Judge is the best HD handgun.
    Also a guy who wants $200 for a mossberg 500 and $350 for a winchester model 12 both in 95% condition.
    Probably a guy who should not be dealing in arms..
    Also there is a chance he knew he sold me a flawed gun and thats why he gave me a deal, though honestly, I think he was just dumb.

A choke intended for bird shot is going to be fairly open such as Modified or more likely improved or skeet. Any of those should pose no problem for a slug. The one I might agree could maybe bulge the barrel is a full choke. And that isn't for the birds but more likely for water fowl. I think you got sold a bill of goods and traded a perfectly good Semi Auto for a cheaper pump gun for no reason.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    A choke intended for bird shot is going to be fairly open such as Modified or more likely improved or skeet.

You've never hunted late season pheasants have you? :jester: Seriously Mike, folks use full chokes while hunting birds all the time...and in any event...running a slug through a full choke isn't going to hurt the barrel....it actually kind of shocks me that you would say something like that....